main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Disney Theme Park Attractions to Be Based on TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by phatdude1138, Dec 10, 2014.

1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I hope this thread doesn't get the lock, I didn't see another on it. It also DOES pertain to this forum as the Disney theme parks are exclusivly going to concentrate on TFA and the ST.

The irony is this will exclude OT and PT fans. No Darth Vader. No Clones. No Obi-Wan Kenobi or Yoda (unless they are all ghosts). I know, blah, blah, blah, it's about the FUTURE of Star Wars, but there are great things about the PT and OT that should be kept alive at Disney parks.

‘Star Wars’ Theme Park Attractions to Be Based on New Films, Not Old (EXCLUSIVE)

Main attractions will be based on new sequels and spinoffs — the first of which, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” bows next year — not the older films in George Lucas’ sci-fi franchise, according to Walt Disney Co. chief Bob Iger.
    “There will be a much larger ‘Star Wars’ presence in our parks globally,” Iger said during a Q&A at Variety‘s Dealmakers Breakfast on Wednesday, presented by Bank of America and sponsored by Delta. “But we want to do this big, which takes time, and to do it right.”
    For Disney and its team of theme park designers at Walt Disney Imagineering, that meant waiting until director J.J. Abrams could reveal his plans for “The Force Awakens.”
    Disney could have easily started producing new rides based on the original “Star Wars” films — and early development on new rides did revolve around the first six “Star Wars” movies. But Iger didn’t want a situation in which theme park guests would be disappointed with an attraction after seeing “The Force Awakens.”

EDIT: I know it DOES say "spinoffs", so that could include Yoda, or Obi-Wan or Vader, but again, that's only if they have their own spinoff movie.

2. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I'm guessing this just means the first couple of attractions that will be out, not that there won't ever be any OT/PT rides. (That would indeed be disappointing). I'm guessing when the "Star Wars" Area of Disneyland opens, it will be 60-70% ST-related, (including whatever the "main" ride is, like "Haunted Mansion" is for New Orleans Square) and the rest will be from the OT/PT movies. I bet there's more chance we'll get that stuff sooner rather than later, as once more ST and Spin-Off films come out, they'll probably get like 90% from that just to keep it new. But I"m sure we'll see rides from the originals (not counting Star Tours, which I bet will be moved into the Star Wars area). I think they'll play it up/construct the park in the beginning the same way they're not talking a lot about the PT right now; I think it's just marketing to make sure that everyone will focus on TFA for the near future.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's not entirely true. Iger mentioned that the attractions will feature a blend of "past, present and future," so yes, we probably will be getting attractions based on all aspects of the Saga. The headlines are a little misleading.

4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Disney is trying to tempt me to "waste" a fortune to go.:p

DarthIshyZ and Rabs like this.
  5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The article also mentions Star Tours as standing for classic SW.

Also, let's be realistic. Of course they want their parks to help promote the current iteration of the franchise first and foremost.

Dak Oolron, sizziano and TheBBP like this.
  6. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I also believe that it will be heavy on Disney's new version(s) of the saga. There is no other real reason for the delay. They want to promote their investment and have their take on it as recognizable as the OT/PT.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I doubt every thing ever at Disney Parks will just be ST based, that would be silly. There will definitely be an OT-themed thingie or two in there.

8. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    How sweet would a full-scale Falcon (inside and out) walk-through attraction be?

What are some things that you guys would like to see?

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Definitely! A walk-though Falcon attraction has been rumored for quite some time and I'm really hoping it makes the final cut!

As for what I would like to see? I would absolutely love to have an immersive dark ride celebrating the entirety of the Saga. If they utilize elaborate theming (practical sets, please - no screens), state-of-the art animatronics and a fun, new ride system, it could be one heck of an E-ticket. Of course, I don't know if they would actually go to that extent, but I can dream! ;)

10. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Probably should start saving for that vacation now, so when it is done in 5 years or so I can afford to REALLY do it right lol.

11. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    Star Wars from the mythological ages are going only forward! Menawhile, the futuristic Star Trek is still repeating it´s past.

12. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I want to have blue milk in the Mos Eisley cantina while enjoying listening to Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes.

13. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Sweet!

What I want more than anything else is an X-wing combat simulator that YOU can control. =P~ Only then can I fulfill my lifelong ambition to fly an X-wing.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So excited to go to Star Wars land when this is ready. I'm sure they'll keep Star Tours and the existing props around it to still represent the OT and PT, and I also expect that they'll add new OT/PT content along the way too. They just understandably want to make a lot of new stuff focusing on TFA and the ST too, and I'm fine with that. It would be odd if they didn't do that, really.

15. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    if anybody's interested,;)
    Tune into the SWU Podcast LIVE tonight at 9pm ET / 6pm PT on Channel 1138 as we discuss "Tarkin", the new novel by James Luceno! Also listen for EXCLUSIVE info about Star Wars theme park attractions, along with the latest news & rumors.

16. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm expecting at least one attraction where you get to throw miniature Wilsons into basketball hoops. :p

17. Luke'sSeveredHand

Jul 21, 2014
    I'm super excited...my fiancee has never been to disney and I told her once they build Star Wars Land we'll go every friggin' year.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    And she still wants to marry you? Good deal! :p

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...the rumor mill has been quiet lately on the big Disney sites. The only thing to come out over the past few months that I've seen had Toontown going away at Disneyland to make way for Star Wars and the possibility of Echo Lake being expanded to become the Star Wars area at Hollywood Studios (with a possible 2019/20 timeframe). I wonder if they'll be hitting on some of those rumors that have been kicking around? [face_thinking] As far as attractions, there has been nothing confirmed yet - even the rumored X-Wing spinner and speeder bike coaster are in limbo (I know there has been one Disney site reporting on that). Things are in constant flux in the theme park business, so plans will continue to change right up to the land's opening.

It's not that I don't trust SWU, but I would find it odd if they were able to uncover some bit of solid news without the folks on the Disney sites getting wind of it first. They seem to be on top of things like this and they were pretty clear that nothing is concrete yet. In that respect, I trust the Disney theme park sources over others.

20. Luke'sSeveredHand

Jul 21, 2014
    I know right?! I kid you not, I knew I was going to marry this girl the first time I met her when she made some reference to a wookie. She isn't a super-fan like me but appreciates the movies.

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I've said it before many times, but EPCOT is one of the most idiotic theme parks in the world. That could so easily be repurposed as Star Wars land with a giant death star right in the middle. Canada becomes Endor. France becomes Tatooine, etc. U.S.A. is Coruscant.

Disney would triple the number of annual visitors.

EHT likes this.
  22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Not only the ST, but I'd expect there to be some Rebels stuff, too.

Dak Oolron, EHT and starocean90 like this.
  23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Omg...don't say that! You're going to bring the EPCOT fanboys down on you hard! :p

You should see the crazy uproar over the Frozen attraction being built in the former Maelstrom building in Norway. If that was any indication, we would be facing the apocalypse if they replaced the entirety of World Showcase with Star Wars.

24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i find it inexcusable that they would exclude the greatest and most iconic characters that people actually recognize.

Dak Oolron and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  25. Luke'sSeveredHand

Jul 21, 2014
    You shut your dirty mouth. Epcot is awesome. That said, if it was "drink your face off around the world" OR "drink your face off from Mos Eisley to Coruscant," i will GLADLY take the latter and say 'thank you very much."