main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014
    I haven't gotten as into the EU as some fans do, but I still consider myself a fan. I would hate to think that, after Episode VII, all these stories and characters we've come to know and love mean nothing to the overall saga anymore. It just seems like such a waste.

The Thrawn Trilogy & Dark Empire comics are gold. I've considered them official story arcs for years... How can we be expected to just forget about this stuff? Is everything post-Return of the Jedi being wiped out, or the entire EU, including games & TV shows?

If someone could explain this "new canon" that is supposed to do away with the levels of canon hierarchy, that would be nice too. Thanks.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Hi Carrie Walsh, welcome to the boards - the Saga forum is for discussions about the films, not the Expanded Universe.

Moving to the EU Community forum.

3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    ...and I am going to merge it with our existing discussion. Welcome to the boards Carrie, and thanks for moving this here Darth Nub.

[​IMG]

4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    How do you think they'll do this? Will they do some kind of announcement within the next year about what is and what is not canon? A list probably.

Or will there be any announcement at all? And we'll find out on Dec 18th 2015?

5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I think the best bet is to just wait and see.

[​IMG]

Falcon likes this.
  6. Fat_Rancor_Keeper

Fat_Rancor_Keeper Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2010
    Who knows at this early point.

Maybe they'll just take the most popular/beloved elements from the EU and tweak them to suit their vision. Meaning the Thrawn events happened but with minor differences which can be established in a rebooted book or graphic novel as well as other rebooted EU stories.

I don't think they'd toss everything out the window. Then again, Disney did cancel 1313 and pull the plug early on TCW.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The plug pulling was perfectly pulled though - Ahsoka is free, Maul is dealt with, no loose ends bar Mortis which Abeloth deals with instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I don't think Disney had much to do with TCW. Back in 2008, it was decided that they'll go with about 100 episodes, meaning 5 seasons. And as Sinre said, there weren't many loose ends, so it doen't feel cut.

9. Donaldson

Donaldson Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2000
    Everything in that article from the interview with Leland Chee I had already read in much more neutral articles the other week. Where other sites chose to view it in a more positive light, wherein SW material outwith the movies will now have more credence than they necessarily did before. This guy clearly dislikes the EU and let it overshadow the actual story he was supposed to be trying to report.

Personally, whatever they decide to throw out or contradict it makes little difference to me. They can`t make those stories disappear, and at the very worst I can just choose to imagine it all as an alternate time line so I can still enjoy the EU as is.

zompusbite and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Fat_Rancor_Keeper

Fat_Rancor_Keeper Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2010
    Yeah the Ashoka stuff was fine. Maul was not dealt with though - that was a total cliffhanger. Thankfully they will be doing a comic to complete the Maul story using the intended script.

Pulling the plug perfectly in my eyes would have been allowing the team to complete any remains major story arcs, cut any intended episodes not integral and maybe having a final mini-season or official blu release.

Darkslayer and Carrie Walsh like this.
  11. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014
    The Clone Wars storylines are going to be finished. A few more episodes are planned to be released (probably on DVD/Blu ray only), kind of a speed run through everything they had planned for season 6, plus the Maul comics.

I still think it's dumb that Disney cancelled it just because it aired on a competitor's network. How hard would it have been to get it moved over to Disney Channel?

As for the rest of the EU being deemed non-canon, it's true that they can't keep us from enjoying the stories. I just don't like the fact that they probably won't be official anymore. It just bugs me that they think its okay to let us get attached to certain plots and characters & then tell us "sorry, it never happened, here's the real version."

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Episode VII will somehow manage to work as a stand-alone movie, but still be able to be worked into the already established EU timeline.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Darkslayer like this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    As for the rest of the EU being deemed non-canon, it's true that they can't keep us from enjoying the stories. I just don't like the fact that they won't be official anymore. It just bugs me that they think its okay to let us get attached to certain plots and characters & then tell us "sorry, it never happened, here's the real version."

I absolutely agree with you on this. Yet, it's really not surprising. New owners new vision. Yet, it really does totally bug that it's happened now with so much history in the rather small spans of timeline explored. I rather don't like the idea that not only is Gilad dead because of a girl I never liked but that he may well be deemed 'never existed'. Yes, he did. He was one of the first EU characters ever in a book. He was *awesome*.

Chromide, Davak24, Zeta1127 and 5 others like this.
  13. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    I don't really care about the potential to make segments of the EU non-canon. I enjoy the novels, and they're fun to read, so they're "real" as far as I'm concerned. I do worry that they'll just be taken off the shelves, though, and the only way to get them is by relying on what I can find at the used store. Going to have to get everything I can.

14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I bought into the EU specifically because it was the official continuation of the films, and ended up becoming so heavily invested in it, that I can't see the films without EU tie-in material directly related to them, like Labyrinth of Evil and Shadows of the Empire, coming to mind. So if LFL decides the throw it out the window, what are people like me supposed to do, not care about what happens? It is because I care that I can be so despondent about the post-NJO, TCW, and TFU.

15. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    That article is what happens when some Trekkietard gets free license to berate the cool kids.

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Trek is cool, you know. That has nothing to do with it.

17. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Agreed. I think I have OCD, no exaggeration, so continuity isquite important to me.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That makes sense, Drenn. :)

BenKenobi1138 likes this.
  19. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  20. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Too much important stuff happened in Thrawn and Dark Empire (remind me to ACTUALLY read Thrawn one of these days) for it to be thrown out completely, I would hope. But there's no way to know just yet where the new trilogy is going to go. Well, maybe there is, but I don't want to be spoiled. :p

21. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Some of the established material might be used but taken to a different direction that what we know from the source. Little nods for the fans while doing something new.

I am sure we will find out later in the year or next about the direction they will take with the films and the character centric films.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  22. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    I for one, have been greatly disappointed with the last two years or so of the Expanded Universe. Didn't like the direction of the events after NJO.

So a reboot doesn't affect me much. At a point I welcome it. What about some of the stories I like, like the X-Wing series? Well I would be disappointed not being canon, but they can never take the enjoyment I had and will have if read them in the future with that series.

So here hoping a more fun, enjoyment and coherent Expanded Universe.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  23. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    I would have a hard time if they ignore EU completely for VII. I can see them ignoring the Yuuzhan Vong to bring back Chewie and Anakin. I just hope JJ script makes sense to all PT,OT and EU fans.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Lady_Misty like this.
  24. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I agree it's still in the early stages, won't know what goes on until they release the trailers

25. BenKenobi1138

BenKenobi1138 Jedi Knight

Nov 12, 2013
    newdawn12 there is no way that can be true, are you sure that isn't just some disgruntled employee?

newdawn12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.