Disney to buy Marvel

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SithLordDarthRichie, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    In a $4bn deal Walt Disney have completed takeover of Marvel Entertainment in a cash & shares deal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8230504.stm

I am slightly weirded out at the idea of the Disney Castle appearing before new Marvel movies. But I guess the deal helps both companies and Disney have been great with marketing for years so I think it could be a good merger.

2. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Meh, they're both media whores.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    True, but they both create wonderful things.

I just hope that being a family company Disney won't decide to tone down certain movies such as any future Punisher or Daredevil films which used to be 15 or 18 rated. That would spoil the effect of the comics/graphic novels.
  4. Welshguy Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, cause the Punisher and DareDevil movies were so good under Marvel.......
  5. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    They would hardly be any better if they were altered for a younger audience with a 12A rating. Watchmen (which OK is a DC publication but the point is the same) would've been far less effective and hard-hitting were it not for the 18 certificate it had.

Still, I would think Disney mainly did it for the marketing revenue. They had a big loss from last year and with Spider-Man merchandise alone they could rake in the cash even when not making Marvel movies.
  6. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5

LOL !
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.