main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disney to buy Marvel

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SithLordDarthRichie, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    In a $4bn deal Walt Disney have completed takeover of Marvel Entertainment in a cash & shares deal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8230504.stm

I am slightly weirded out at the idea of the Disney Castle appearing before new Marvel movies. But I guess the deal helps both companies and Disney have been great with marketing for years so I think it could be a good merger.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Meh, they're both media whores.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    True, but they both create wonderful things.

I just hope that being a family company Disney won't decide to tone down certain movies such as any future Punisher or Daredevil films which used to be 15 or 18 rated. That would spoil the effect of the comics/graphic novels.

4. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Yeah, cause the Punisher and DareDevil movies were so good under Marvel.......

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    They would hardly be any better if they were altered for a younger audience with a 12A rating. Watchmen (which OK is a DC publication but the point is the same) would've been far less effective and hard-hitting were it not for the 18 certificate it had.

Still, I would think Disney mainly did it for the marketing revenue. They had a big loss from last year and with Spider-Man merchandise alone they could rake in the cash even when not making Marvel movies.

6. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001

LOL !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.