main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Will Disney Re-Release Theatrical Cut Of The Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Max@TSWP, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016

LMAO! Oh then stand corrected! That sounds much closer in character to the forgiving chump who let Han step on his tail in ANH! :D

2. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    I note that much of the discussion in this thread has nothing to do with the original theatrical cuts of the OT being re-released. Can't the discussion of the prequels and special editions be taken elsewhere?

3. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    You are correct. The discussion always ends up in the same direction. It starts out with love for the originals and why they're preferred. Then someone jumps in defending the SE's and tries to "correct" the people who love the originals and it devolves into a scene by scene analysis of who likes what and why.

4. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015

Yeah, I just had someone literally accusing me of loathing the PT, because I prefer the look of the OT. Reminds me of a bit of something Anakin said in ROTS: if you're not with me...

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It all comes down to a point of view. I don't look at things as just pandering. You do.

6. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Well, it's an added scene with a hugely popular character who does nothing during the whole scene until the end when he looks at the camera, as if to say "Hey, remember me? I'm that guy you like so much for some reason!". If that doesn't sound like blatant fan service, I don't know what does.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I never said that it wasn't. I just look beyond that context. I see the idea of where Fett goes in the next two films and where he came from in the PT. And if Boba is the subject of a spin off film, that will also play a factor.

8. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    lol At this point I think you're just overthinking that whole scene. Lucas probably didn't even think about any of that at all. He probably just thought "Hey, how about we add Boba Fett into this scene? The fans will love that!". Actually, I think the argument can be made that the Jabba scene in ANH is just there for fan service.

EDIT: So, you know that rumor from TheDigitalBits.com I posted a couple of days ago? Well, they're know reporting that we will be getting a box set comprised of 3D Blu-Ray versions of the entire PT and TFA.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Or what if he did? Lucas already decided that Fett was going to be connected to the Stormtroopers and was looking at the idea of watching the films I-VI.

The way he talks about this is anything but that. You can tell it was something that he was passionate about putting back into the film.

10. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    If he was looking at it from the POV of watching the films I-VI, then shouldn't Boba's appearance in AOTC technically count as a set up? I mean, he still does nothing of actual importance in Clones, but he still actually does things, which is more than you can say for Boba in his appearance in ANH.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's what I was trying to say. If you look at it in from IV-VI, Boba is still set up for his later role. If you start from I-IX, then AOTC sets him up and ANH reintroduces him. And if he has a spin off film that's set between trilogies, then there is also that. Sure, he doesn't do anything of significance in ANH with the SE material, but it introduces the threat of Boba Fett. We go from Greedo who finds Han, but fails to get the job done. Then we have Boba who will get the job done. And his intro comes on the heels of Jabba saying that if Han fails him again, he'll put a price on his head so big that he'll never be able to go near any civilized world again. We see Boba and then in TESB, we're told about the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell and then we see Fett with the others aboard the Executor.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  12. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    In the OOT, we don't see Boba Fett til ESB, and Jabba til ROTJ. They are mysterious characters that don't need to be in every movie. Not knowing much about them is a positive, IMO. Sometimes less is more when comes to certain types of characters in movies.

13. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Meet Boba Fett: Initial 1978 Boba Fett Costume Screentest

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Yes, I am aware of that as I did watch those versions of the films. As to need and want, they are two different things.

15. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

You're both ignorant haters, but ya know, join the club! :p

16. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    But sometimes the reveal is more interesting then the backstory. For instance, I was fascinated for years as to who is this Jabba The Hutt? He was mentioned in SW in 1977, and then briefly in 1980, so there was this buildup. If you see him in TPM, or ANH for the first time it sort of ruins that mystique or reveal in ROTJ. That's what Lucas never understood about those characters, in that the SE actually lessened their reveal in the OOT.

As for Boba Fett, I honestly never thought he should have been in ROTJ, as I thought he was cool in ESB but didn't go crazy like other fanboys. He was a bounty hunter, he tracked and found Han Solo, he took him to Jabba and got paid and moved on. How much cooler would Boba Fett be today if we never saw his silly backstory in AOTC as a kid, or his lame death in ROTJ?

Because what you 'want' ends up being a letdown most of the time. ;)

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    But that reveal is only due to factors that resulted in it being that way, not because he thought it would be more suspenseful that way. You only feel this way because you grew up that way. That's why Lucas has said that newer generations will experience films in a different way from the earlier generations.

But what we want is irrelevant. What the director and writer wants is what matters. We're just along for the ride.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  18. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Well, what we want is relevant, if the rumours about an OOT release are to be believed. Mike Verta, who is responsible for the Legacy edition, was to present his restoration to the Disney and Fox execs sometime soon, and has since gone off the radar. Star Wars has long since been a lot bigger than it's creator, and now that he's sold his creation to Disney, all bets are off.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Bets are off but fans still don't own the property. We may factor in some choices but ultimately Mouse has control whether or not we like it.

20. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Yes, but luckily the mouse has two very large and sympathetic ears...

DarthCricketer likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Glad you think so, Dre.

DrDre likes this.
  22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

I'm not doubting that, nor am I saying that you cannot have that. My point is that when it came to whatever decisions Lucas wanted to make with his films, it was his choice to make those change. If he wanted to include Boba Fett, then that was his choice. If he wanted Jabba in the other films, that was his choice. It was his choice to have only the SE's and it was his choice to have the 2006 DVD version with both the SE and the laserdisc version of the OT. It is Disney's choice now and they can do what they will. They can choose to do it, or they can choose not to.

TX-20 and DrDre like this.
  23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Exactly but for some weird reason a fractional portion of fans think what they think matters when it clearly doesn't.

Now someone might throw out something that makes them think that they are but they really aren't.

There is no reason at all to believe them. In terms of rumours the far more solid ones surround new versions of the SE's if anything.

Any other rumours are just self perpetuating that have been going on since the sale and people thinking that something could be done.

It's entirely possible they might be but any relation between the reality and the rumors of that are probably entirely co-incidental. If we were to believe those previous rumors had any credibility proven to them then there would have been some real movement now but years on now and nothing.

Well I certainly can't say it ever happened. The complete story makes everything better.

Not in the least. What Lucas understood was his story as the storyteller. Reveals can be all well and good but once they are revealed then the reveal is over. Then it's time for the story. If Jabba is lessened then he was never all that good a character in the first place.

I'd far rather have a story and a character rather then something "cool". We get to see his rather excellent story in AOTC and know that he is in essence Jango and Jango is cool as a character and so now is Boba Fett actually cool as a character and not just some dude in a suit.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    In the long run what matters is money but it's not wrong to desire beloved content finally available in decent shape QRB. Your snideness isn't helping the discussion.

25. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    This is so true. The SE's are there if people want to get Lucas' most recent vision for the saga. But Star Wars is much bigger than just that. I would argue that in terms of overall importance, the OOT outclasses all subsequent versions of the OT.
    Well this comes down to your point of view. Let's take Harmy, for example. He thought that the OOT should be available in HD and so he made the Despecialized Editions. I then watched and enjoyed them quite a lot. So clearly, what that particular fan thought did matter to me and so many others who enjoyed his versions. Another cool thing about fans is that they are less inclined to cut corners. Like if a company were doing a film restoration, they might remove scratches and whatnot from a frame by using adjacent frames. But when a superfan like Mike Verta does a restoration, he actually uses all the money he has to acquire different sources in order to remove that scratch by replacing it with the same frame from a different source, thereby preserving the original image. Companies are less inclined to pay that close attention to detail because their end goal is to make money whereas the superfan's goal is to do the best job that he or she can.

So let's be clear. When fans complain on message boards about Special Edition changes, what they are saying does matter. Because if it didn't, we would have no Despecialized Editions. But we do. And I am so grateful for them.

TX-20, Tosche_Station, DrDre and 7 others like this.