main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah, so Devil May Cry reboot is indeed terrible? I also only know the series for DMC3, and the redesign of Dante scared and infuriated me.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Would that by any chance be a Futurama reference? :p

3. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Futurama reference? Nope, never seen it.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I still highly doubt the ST will do any more damage to the EU than TCW show has...

5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Behold!

There was also another similar one I was looking for, but alas I can't find it.

6. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah I hear they took the cheeseyness that made it so endearing and replaced it with cringe inducing moments of attempting to be edgy. For example having Vorgil kill a pregnant Demon woman and her baby, or the overuse of "**** you!" in an attempt to make Donte cool

7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah, I can see how you thought that was a reference.

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ah, the new Devil May Cry... I only actually discovered there was a new game last week when browsing Amazon...

I took one look at the depiction of Dante on the front cover and closed the page again. [face_plain]

What. Were. They. Thinking. With. That. Design? :eek:

Zeta1127 and Esg like this.
  9. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

10. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Gah! Now you've made me look at that design again!

My eyes!! :_|

(Seriously, DmC [why the lower case 'm'? WHY?! It doesn't make you look hip and cool; it makes you look stupid.] demonstrates why I don't get all happy happy joy joy for reboots, as they always expose how quickly popular teenage culture changes in just a few short years, now picture that change over thirty years and you realise that you'll get the most eye-rolling universe possible for all audiences over 16-years of age who are made to realise they aren't 16 anymore.)

Esg likes this.
  11. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I've never played DmC, all I know is this game does not induce a desire to attempt to play it. Though, I have no holdovers personally, since I never played the last few. Just looks like a bad game, and I don't intend to waste money on things that look bad. Games are too expensive to experiment.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999

Lucas may not be overly considerate of the books, but he's had way too much personal input into them, and taken way too much out of them, for your "books don't count" theory to hold water. TFU was largely his idea - does it "count"? He advised them to kill Anakin Solo - does that "count"?

It's one thing to be an absolute inclusionist, but the second you say "the Star Wars franchise is only really media X", five contradictions to that rule will always pop up.

instantdeath likes this.
  13. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Does anyone think Abrams will plug in his own Lens flare joke?

Such as a character meets another character in a room with alot of bright light, the character entering the room sheilds his eyes and the character inside the room tells a computer or droids to tint the windows?

Zorrixor likes this.
  14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    While I'd laugh my head off if that happened, I'm... hesitant if I'd want it included, as it'd be very much a joke that ten years from now nobody would understand, which could make it feel lame when people tried to introduce their kids to the sequels the way people presently are introducing them to the existing films.

15. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Thanks, you just made my point. It's only what the company considers that "counts". Disney may not see it as Lucas did. And I felt the killing of Anakin Solo was to get rid of another "Anakin". Be that as it may, the EU is simply a resource pool at this point. They could drain it completely after fishing out what they desire, or that might respect every spec of detail and event, and the latter sounds far less likely to me. I imagine Disney sees the EU like they see the Marvel Comics, it has some fun stuff, but we don't have to slavishly accommodate those fans.

Star Wars begins and ends with these new films, it really does at this point. If VII says Luke never had a boy, never married Mara Jade, if Han and Leia don't have their twins and the boy, if Chewbacca is alive, well, see what I mean? At this point, it really does begin and end with the decisions this film makes.

16. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    it would be sort of like the Mass Effect sequals and "elevator" jokes in 2 and 3.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Either of you tried the demo? It requires one hell of a lot of dexterity in terms of L-R coordination, far too much for my liking but for those that have it, the system probably offers a good amount of possibilities.

As to the ST, have to admit I favour the idea of Plagueis returning, it'd fit the hokey style of SW plus there's the sheer fun of him entering the stage for the first time, as chaos is erupting across the galaxy at his command:

Who are you?
    Do you remember Darth Sidious? He almost killed you boy, until your father interfered!
    And?
    I am Darth Plagueis, it was I who put Sidious on the road to all that he became, it was I who began the ruin of the Republic, it was I who was the master of the Sith and galaxy then.... and now.

The idea of a super-bad super-Emperor who Vader could not stand against, who Luke must fight and prevail against, fits. Plus, it was first mentioned in ROTS so effectively set up there retroactively. Of course, this would also have the effect of restoring Luke to the top of the pecking order over Anakin!

Zorrixor likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    All I'm saying is, it would still be a reboot. :p

Zorrixor likes this.
  19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    And lead to an EU led by endless film spin-offs with books that became as insignificant as the TOR tie-ins. :p

Forget Stover or Luceno... bring on the Karpyshyn film novelisations!!
    Yeah, the foreshadowing and thematisation of his return is the reason it's still my favourite prospect.

I've always liked the feel of the Jedi's Son having to fight the Sith's Father, so to speak, which would fit the theme of the new taking the place of the old (which, obviously, if there was a reboot, would carry even more relevance).

(And your defence of DmC made no effort to defend its stupid noncapitalisation "trendiness" :p)

instantdeath likes this.
  20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm patient, so I just buy the games when they go down in price. Exceptions are made for either games I feel I must support or games that I can't wait for.

Hell, I just bought Bioshock 2 a week ago. I've been meaning to get that game for years.

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Meh... Bioshock. Never got the mad appeal of that.

First game was alright... second was plain awful.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Actually, I got irritated with it and deleted the demo! Much as I did Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance!

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Bioshock was smart in that you could set up very elaborate death traps - it was a Batman game, it was all in the preparation!

instantdeath likes this.
  24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Haven't played it yet. I have the habit of buying things and putting them on the backburner for weeks. I've practically got a bookshelf of books I plan to read sometime in the next ten years [face_liarliar]

Haven't played that yet either... I love Metal Gear Solid. It was my favorite series as a kid. As wacky as MGS4 got at points, I thought the entire thing was one of the most satisfying games I've ever played. Should I prepared to be disappointed?

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bioshock was simply a beautiful game. The opening sequence is one of the best from a video game since the landmark Half-Life one. The writing was stellar, and the atmosphere perfect. YMMV, as always, but it just hit the right buttons for a lot of people.

Bioshock 2 was a cash-in, pure and simple, that didn't include the original creator (who is involved with Infinite) and was blatantly obvious in its focus on multiplayer to the detriment of the single-player game. Not as bad a sequel as, say, the infamous Deus Ex: Invisible War, but didn't add much to the original world. The irony is that the ARG for Bioshock 2 was actually quite good, and the DLC for it was more interesting than the main game itself.
    Exactly, look how they negated the entire Marvel Comics universe to accommodate the movies... wait a second, no they didn't.

Let's wait and see what happens. Ultimately, if they decide to dump the EU, then there's plenty of other things I - and others - to spend disposal income on. But they might want to check with how Star Wars was doing just prior to to the release of Heir to the Empire before making any decisions.

instantdeath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.