main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celeste_Morne

Celeste_Morne Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2008
    The Post-Crucible scenario literally requires a few hours with Pablo and Leland to just lay down a couple things to consider - lay out ages of characters, make sure any Skysolo family is either A. dead B. put on a bus or C. included so any and all of the Big Three can participate in a story roughly 50 ABY. Disney can tell whatever story they want, and the EU stands intact. Please, please let this happen. It's so easy, and so simple.

Danz Borin, I would bet money the new trilogy will be PG-13. A lot has changed since 2002. Nobody wants to see PG movies any more. PG-13 is what sells. Avatar. Avengers. Kids go to PG-13 and any protests are drowned out. PG-13 is a necessity to appeal to many adult fans.

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I'm hoping for the Thrawn Trilogy to be made into movies. Mara Jade on film!

Random Comments likes this.
  3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Who said it would have Cade? Or even be set in the Legacy era?

4. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    At first I was shocked, and sad at the potential ramifications to an EU that I grew up with. But after awhile, I realized...I actually STOPPED reading most Star Wars material after starting Legacy of the Force, not liking the direction it was going, and how TFU and TCW fiddled with canon.

I'm still wicked skeptical, but also...kind of excited?

Oh God this post has probably been made 50 times in this thread already.

5. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Yeah, but there will presumably be more of them now. Maybe a whole Star Wars park in and of itself.

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    They should get Carrie Fisher to show up on Once Upon a Time.

Blithe likes this.
  7. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    For me, the main plus side is that given Disney wants to cash in, we'll probably finally get the theatrical versions of the OT on Blu-Ray. ;)

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Once more for the record: Fox still owns distribution on the OT. No theatrical cut releases anytime soon.

Master_Keralys likes this.
  9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Just knowing that it's a possibility is worth it. I'm sure a deal with Fox would have to be made, but if Disney want some early money this would be the best way to go.

10. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    I really think this could be good. Lucas himself said that there are so many stories to choose from, from the books and the comics. He said that he wanted the universe to be protected, and felt that Disney would be able to protect it.

11. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    True, but GL may not have the ability to stop Fox from doing so anymore either. Perhaps Disney and Fox will work together to get the source material together to do so.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "We can get people to buy these movies again?"
    "Yes, but-"
    "Do it."

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    That can mean anything though. We could still get a Jacen,Jania, and Anakin but their stories could start and end differently. Grand Admiral Thrawn might be a major villain in the sequel trilogy, but he might live in the end. Palpatine could return( a high possibilty), but he may not be a clone. Disney may stay true to the ideas and characters that appeared over 20 years, but they won't waste time worrying about writing over or ignoring stories.

14. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That's by far the best idea I've heard yet about this new trilogy.

Rew likes this.
  15. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    How long before we get any more info?

I think we should have some sort of pool and all put in our scenarios and someone gets to win bragging rights.

Jedi_Glover and Master_Keralys like this.
  16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    So... the Star Trek model of paying for fan fiction? Sounds great!
    Like I said, any rejoicing in the death of the EU is rather premature.

Esg likes this.
  17. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    You heard it here first: Episodes VII - IX will be the continuation of the Imperial Commando saga post-ROTJ. [face_whistling]

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm betting toward January/February.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Except for Hav. he doesn't get to put in his scenario. Why? Because if the Sequel Trilogy has Otter Love, we all win. [:D]

20. Vegeta Daimo

Vegeta Daimo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 30, 1999
    I never thought Lucas would sell out Star Wars to a megacorp, I just figured he'd hand over his empire to one of his children that he'd been grooming to be a movie maker to take his place or at least one of the main guys that have been by his side in the Skywalker camp making movies with him all of these years.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Plus we don't know that Disney won't "waste time" worrying about details. It's hardly a waste of time when it could mean the loss of quite a large number of fans. They'll probably all go see the movie, sure, but it won't be good for keeping long time customers.

But Disney is pretty evil, so it's a distinct possibility.

22. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Random thing nagging at me about this announcement: Why did they choose today?

New York, and the New York media, are buried under a record-breaking storm surge. Everyone else is focused on a Presidential election that ends in one week. This is, during an ordinary news cycle, front-page dominating headlines. It's probably the most significant entertainment story of the season. Why'd they pick the day when it was going to get the least publicity possible?

Makes me nervous, like they anticipated the inevitable backlash but ducked instead of confronting it. Worrisome.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  23. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    You're on the hate list too. :p

24. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Because after a disaster people need something to look forward to. They provided that.

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Best case scenario: They knew that the mere existence of a sequel trilogy would draw truck loads of criticism. Disney also gets a lot of criticism from the internet, so that has to leave a sour taste in many peoples mouths. They fully intend to deliver, but know some are skeptical after the lukewarm critical reception to the prequel trilogy, so want to keep it low until they can talk more about it.

Worst case scenario: Uh, what you said. They're going to make money off it either way, but they don't need to worry about hyping it just yet.

Or this, I suppose, but I am somewhat skeptical that the announcement was centered around the disaster. Who knows, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.