main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    This definitely makes it more likely the EU will be contradicted. I would be shocked if Han and Leia's child/children aren't in some way significant to the plot.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    He's been cast as Jacen Solo, who will emerge from the Unknown Regions after a fifty-year sojourn and one hell of a bad dream.

3. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    [face_dancing] [face_party] [face_dancing]

Zorrixor, Jedi_Glover, JackG and 2 others like this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But did anyone ever think Han, Luke, and Leia wouldn't be in the ST? I figured there was a 99% chance at least one of them would be in it, and a 85% chance that Ford/Fisher/Hamill would return to reprise their roles. That was just my perception before today, anyways.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That's a relatively minor thing, however ridiculous it is - but you know what? They did the same thing after the first X-Men movie - both Mystique and Toad were arbitrarily changed to match the movie and within a year or so the 'changes' were conveniently forgotten.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I thought Samuel L Fury was Ultimate universe.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I think it would be a different matter if they were brought in for cameos--if the movie were about a teen Sky Child and her wacky friends, they could set it in 20 ABY and de-agify the Big Three just enough to pop on and say something ominous. But if Ford's being locked down this soon, and his role is "substantial", it suggests, to my mind, more of a 30/40 ABY setting.

EXACTLY. 8-}

8. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Nick Fury was black in the Ultimate Universe prior to the movies.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    And after the movies, they introduced Nick Fury's black son, Nick Fury Jr., into the mainstream universe so they could have a black Nick Fury.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  10. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Technically he and Fury SR appear in tandem

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *facepalm*

12. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Soooo not the point. :p

Oh, and hilariously, they're kinda doing this thing in Ultimates right now where their Nick Fury is white.

I repeat: 8-}

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ah, so they actually changed the mainstream Nick Fury to more closely resemble the Ultimate version (haven't read any recent Marvel titles)... eh, can't say I have an opinion on that either way. He's already close to 100 years old, who knows what side effects that serum may have had :p

15. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    The mainstream Nick Fury wasn't changed, there is just two of them now hehe. Nick Fury Jr is the son of Nick Fury and the one closely resembling the Ultimate/SLJ version.

Ulicus and Esg like this.
  16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    This interviewee maybe says at the 7.50ish mark that the tale of Han and Leia's kids may be one of the stand-alone films.

17. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    A standalone film would be a waste of those characters. The ST is the perfect place to continue the Skywalker legacy in Jaina, Ben and Allana.

Summer Dreamer and darthzac14 like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just for your info - there is a third Nicholas Fury, in the MAX books - of which, due to board restrictions to ensure an all-ages tone, I can say little. Let's just say he's a cold, violent, hardcase with a penchant for whores, cigs and booze - but hey, he's on our side, so it's all OK! ;)

Inserting a black Nick Fury into Marvel, over a decade after when it was stunningly cool in the Ultimate books is a great example of missing the boat by years!

As to all the film talk, can't help but get a vibe of Disney looking at the success of Avengers and Marvel's Phase 1 masterplan and going: Let's do that with SW!

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well they didn't do it to be racially edgy, they did it to better capitalize off of movie audiences. As for Fury MAX, my understanding is that he's ostensibly the regular Nick Fury, just with more cussin'. Way/Dillon's Punisher MAX, OTOH, was distinctly an AU story.

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Samuel L. Jackson was perfect casting for Nick Fury, on the same level as Patrick Stewart for Professor X and J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson.

But the way they brought Sam Jackson Fury into the mainstream Marvel universe is one of the few cases where you have a legitimate case for calling it "shoehorned". Marvel managed to take the perennial lame-ass publisher excuse for not including more diversity in comics and make it a reality. That's impressive.

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, since y'all talking about it... and in the interests of keeping everyone else properly up to speed....

BEHOLD, THE (abridged) STORY OF NICK FURY JR:

[​IMG]

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd see a difference between the two Coop, Fury MAX is way harsher and more cynical than Fury is in Marvel - a bit like the difference between Punisher MAX and Punisher, technically Marvel may claim they're the same but I don't think that's supported by the actual books.

As for capitalising on film audiences, there's 2 responses to that:

First, there's little in the way of evidence for people seeing a movie to follow up by buying comics of it - it's happened for Walking Dead and Kick-Ass but not for the Big 2. Part of it may be a lack of easy to pick-up material, but the other aspect may just be that having seen Avengers, what people want is to see Avengers 2 and not buy a comic that features a different version of the characters seen in the film, if they're even present at all.

Second, Marvel could have pointed people towards the Ultimate books, but those books' golden age is e a few years gone now - but since that's where you get black Nick Fury with full cool factor, I'm not sure people would have cared!

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    My understanding of the MAX lines is that they are each their own separate, independent continuity.

I have limited exposure to Nick Fury Jr. (being mostly an X-Men fan), but the times SHIELD shows up, it's the Maria Hill Show - I assume, for instance, that Junior is one of the guys in the Uncanny X-Men 1 that just came out, but gets no lines; only Hill has a conversation out of all the SHIELD personnel.

The coolest head of SHIELD will always be Leonardo Da Vinci, though.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Is that... really a thing? Leonardo being head of SHIELD in Marvel continuity, I mean. I can't decide if that's hilarious or awesome.

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Johnathon Hickman, one of the best comic writers around right now, has an ongoing limited series called SHIELD (sadly unfinished as of now) that had the original SHIELD being an ancient organization that was protecting Earth before the Age of Heroes - and includes Leonardo da Vinci, Isaac Newton, Nikolai Tesla, Galileo, Michelangelo all as characters. It's awesome. And yes, it's in continuity - Leonardo also showed up in the AvX storyline and in Secret Avengers.

He also writes the (non-Marvel) Manhattan Projects, which recently had Einstein and Richard Feynman shooting up killer robots on a space station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.