main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, it's awesome ID, but sadly the story remains unfinished! :(

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I have decided that it is both hilarious and awesome.

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You know, I was kind of disappointed Harrison Ford signed up again...I mean, I had hoped they were going to set it farther in the future than that. Have a new generation you know?

But I guess this at least means he worked out his issues with Chewbacca:

Ulicus likes this.
  4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_thinking]

Do you think Daniel Craig would be up for playing Lumpy? :D

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Nothing can more perfectly capture the delicious insanity of Hickman's SHIELD than this one panel:
    [​IMG]

I think they're more or less like Marvel Star Wars - they don't have to fit perfectly, but if they can happen in 616, they're generally assumed to. Two words: Jessica Jones.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  6. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Is that meant to be a vision of Galactus and his best buddy Franklin Richards at the end of the universe? Because cool.

Or is it just G chilling with a previous herald? If so... bleh.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's Galactus attacking Renaissance-era Rome, and Da Vinci building a superweapon to fight him off.

Ulicus and Mia Mesharad like this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That's Rome. And that's Galileo on the rooftop. And that "gun" isn't what you think it is. Believe me, SHIELD is well worth the read.

As far as the MAX lines go - Deadpool MAX is definitely not mainstream. Wolverine MAX has a living Mariko, so that's right out. Fury and Punisher MAX appear to be in the same universe, but are superhero-free. So I'm going to go with "not-616".

9. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    That does make more sense.

10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Damn. I knew Da Vinci was ahead of his time, but he's already turning out super weapons ]-}. Screw those tank and machine gun outlines.

EDIT: Err, or Galileo.

11. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Episode VII to feature the next generation

Report says that Mark, Carrie, and Harrison will return for their roles, and that Episode VII will feature their children. I have no idea how credible either Showbiz or Roger Friedman are (seems kind of sketchy), so take this as speculation. Though, the fact that these types of rumors are circulating does give me hope.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I still can't ****ing believe that we're getting Episode VII only ten years after RotS. I cannot believe it.

I mean, I always figured we'd get new Star Wars films one day, but I pretty much just expected remakes of the originals... not actual sequels.

Zorrixor and TheRedBlade like this.
  13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Well, if Ford, Fisher, and Mark all make it in, then we've at least got likely got at least 35-40 years to throw current EU stories into.

Is it possible that even if the films are set in an earlier year, old EU stories could be compressed similar to the revamped TCW timeline? Could the post ROTJ EU survive intact if it was compressed about 5-10 years?

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think for the most part this was a given ever since the announcement - that the OT characters would return as bit roles, but the main focus would be on their children. Although whether the EU children or new ones is less of a given. Although I think it's a fair bet they'd at least use "Leia and Han have Jedi twins named Jaina and Jacen" as a format.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I've been thinking about the rumor of John Noble playing the ST villain.

Just for fun: imagine Noble, if you will, full mo-cap Andy Serkis-style, as Darth Plagueis. [face_mischief]

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Noble himself has debunked it.

17. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I would not hate this. There's a lot years "wasted" on bad of forgettable stories in the Bantam EU (I think Crystal Star has a year to itself), leading Luke and Mara to complain rightly about wasted time in the Hand of Thrawn books. If we trim the fat a bit and get an edited/curated version of the EU thusfar (and one that preserves the Next Generation a bit better than the books have), then I'll be happy.

instantdeath and Ulicus like this.
  18. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    It really depends. The problem isn't with the timeline in my opinion. If Han and Leia have children that aren't the same as their EU counterparts, that pretty much renders everything after the Courtship of Princess Leia noncanon, barring some ridiculous retcon. It seems like there is a good chance Chewie will be in the sequels, doing the same for NJO.

If Lucas feels free to blatantly contradict the EU in TCW, then why would Abrams and Ardnt care?

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    TCW didn't destroy the EU. We can count the number of inconsistencies, not the number of consistencies.

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh, so the Clone Wars being completely unrecognizable, at the cost of a perfectly good timeline to boot, is a consistency?

21. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Uhh, I'm not an expert on the EU or anything, but it really seems like there's no way to reconcile the previous EU with the show. Multiple characters died in ways different than in the EU. How exactly does that make sense?

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Twileks come from planet Ryloth, not planet Gongoblahg, right? Fett was a Mandalorian, not a Nutpisho, right? There are unknown regions to the galaxy, aren't there? Hutts are a species, not a criminal title, right? Nightsisters exist, and on a planet called Dathomir, don't they? Etc.

Yes, there are contradictions, but they are numbered and they'll eventually be retconned, and there is a will to retcon them.

Like I said, we're counting the number of contradictions, not the number of times when it's consistent with the EU.

Did Bantam destroy the EU when it contradicted the "Glove of Darth Vader" series in several instances, and ignored most of Marvel's EU? No.

You guys freak out way too much and too easily. It could be A LOT worse. TCW definitely didn't destroy the EU, and neither will the ST.

EDIT:

Anyways, back to the ST... bad guys and general plot?

I see two options, and either would be both original but still feel like Episodes 1-6.

1. Darth Plagueis the Deathless, leading a starfleet and army of Theocratic Sith Invaders who worship Plagueis and wish to impose their religious worship of him and the Dark Side onto everyone else (with the Sith feeding off of chaos and suffering, as well as trying to create a new hierarchial social order)... but does Plagueis truly want to conquer the galaxy and bestow his "gifts" of this Dark Side religion and Eternal Life, or does he really want to completely destroy the galaxy, life, and the Force itself?

2. The NewRepublic/GalacticAlliance and/or the Jedi are the villains, with the Skywalkers/Solo as the main villains... but they're not evil, and neither are the (completely new) protagonists. More mature plot, with plenty of gray, but still have space battles and lightsaber duels.

23. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    The consistencies don't cancel out the inconsistencies. And a lot of them are really dumb/easily avoidable contradictions.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But inconsistencies does not mean destruction. And they can/will be retconned, eventually. We know that because we know there is a will to retcon them.

The Bible has plenty of inconsistencies, the Gospel writers can't even agree on Jesus's lineage or the number of angels present at the rolled-away boulder. Does that mean the Bible and all of Christianity was destroyed by these inconsistentices? Of course not.

25. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Well, actually yes that does mean that the bible loses credibility. In fact, I would say that proves that the bible isn't written by god.

You say we aren't counting the number of times the show is consistent with the EU, but it seems to me that it is only consistent in the vaguest sense. Obi-Wan and Anakin fought in the Clone Wars against the Separatists. All the details appear to be changed. Feel free to contradict me, I haven't read the Clone Wars novels since they released.

What would it take for the films/TV show to contradict the EU in your mind? If, in the ST, Chewbacca is still alive, will you come up with some ridiculous retcon to keep the NJO intact?

Some things can be retconned, others can't. For instance, in the EU, the defining feature of Ryloth is that is doesn't have a day night cycle. Yet in TCW we are shown that it does. What, did the planet magically decide to have a day night cycle for awhile? What possible explanation for this could there be? It's obvious, the creators of TCW just flat out didn't care about contradicting the EU.

Zeta1127 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.