Lit Disney Wars: Episode 7 and the EU (Disney Purchasing Lucasfilm, intends to release Ep 7 in 2015)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not sure we are needed in this discussion anymore.
  2. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    I'd follow a thread where Ulicus carries a conversation with himself. At least until the first awkward silence hits.
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
  4. GrandAdmiralJello Emperor: Community & Lit

Manager
    star 10

Afraid of happening? They've sold t-shirts with Vader on the Dumbo Ride at Star Tours for years now.

Vader: "I'm on the leader."
  5. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    In the words of Luke Skywalker: THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!
    I've always enjoyed stories like that as well, but being done well is indeed the catch, as often direct tie-ins are derivative works at their very worst (TOR novels, I'm looking at you).

In the long run, I also feel it is a guaranteed recipe for the abandonment of a singular universe, as when you start cramming ever more stories into the same timeframe, you end up with a TCW situation where worrying about "the" EU goes out the window and they just become spin-off stories without any intention of all neatly meshing together into one expanded universe. Even the history of the OT shows how much of Marvel has been superseded, so if all you end up with is extra padding directly around the movies, you're destined to end up with all characters ending up like Boba Fett, with their history rewritten repeatedly over the years.

The stories can still be enjoyable, but it's why I'm very hesitant about there being an "expanded universe" after the ST in the same form as the current one as for every Star Wood that works to fit itself in with minimal conflicts you'll get a Ryloth that doesn't rotate.
    Last edited by Zorrixor, Mar 27, 2013
  6. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I really feel like as EU fans, it's hard for us to trust our instincts on this kinda thing--yeah, Ryloth rotated, but that was the Creator Himself reaching down from on high and specifically instructing the writers to do that. With him out of the picture there's no reason to assume future tie-in writers (or Michael Arndt, for that matter) won't be Brian Woods. We're like a puppy that was kicked by its previous owner and now expects everyone else to be the same way.

Come to that, the only precedent we have for SW even attempting to "lure" writers with an explicit promise of no continuity strings was Tales, and look how that turned out.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Mar 27, 2013
    Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  7. Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    ^^^ I saw this and giggled out loud, not quite a laugh, but a giggle....
  8. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
  9. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    So... Old Wounds: The Movie?
    RC-1991, HEDGESMFG, Ulicus and 4 others like this.
  10. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 5
    Yup
  11. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
  12. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    We have to wait for Ep7 spoilers to really begin speculation on EU relevancy. Then the zaniness can hit new heights.
  13. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Am I a bad person for actually thinking that sounds like it could potentially be really cool? I promise I've thought worse things.
  14. fett 4 Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi-wan just defeated Han Solo in a popularity contest, and Ewan was one of just two actors who can walk away from the PT with his dignity intact, so I can certainly see them doing a spin off with him.
  15. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Old Wounds or not, an Obi-Wan/Maul movie would at minimum suggest they do intend to keep at least TCW in canon.
  16. KamSolusar Force Ghost

star 2
    Can't remember if this was mentioned already:

From an Q&A with JJ Abrams about the Star Trek movie:

Did the vast Trek canon help or hurt your work to make this film?

Abrams: Well, it was hugely helpful because it gave us parameters. We knew that within that framework we could create, explore, and experiment. It's actually nice when you're given a box.... when you're given parameters that you have to honor because it gives you limits and then you know that within those boundaries you can be creatively risky.
  17. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Nice to see he doesn't take the easy and exceptionally uncreative "oh noes, continuity ruins everything!!!" viewpoint
    LawgSkrak and CeiranHarmony like this.
  18. CeiranHarmony Force Ghost

star 5
    so... when will they call the Disney purchase as longest prepared April Fools ever?
    Zorrixor likes this.
  19. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    Read the very last past, "you can be creatively risky"

Let's face it, they will read everything thats out there, consult with GL and his story treatments that we know nothing of and go from there. From there, anything and everything can happen. So don't keep your hopes high that the EU will remian in tact and that they are going to leave things as they are or follow the established line.
  20. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    I translate "creatively risky" as: Speculate all you like, no way are you going to work out what we'll be throwing at you!
  21. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    no, but it means they can do what they like without following the perscribed timeline fanboy
  22. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    If the Han Solo spinoff movie is simply Han Solo at Stars End, then all would be forgiven.
  23. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    True as that is, an interesting thing the new original Star Wars story from DH could provide is an insight into Lucas's head, and from that potentially any loose ends or ideas he never got around to following up, that might in turn have made ther way into his sequel treatment.

Take Sith Knights. If we end up with lots of Sith in the ST, I'd not be at all shocked if they wanted to use that term.
    Last edited by Zorrixor, Apr 2, 2013
    darklordoftech likes this.
  24. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Lucas Arts is offically dead.

1313 and Imperial Assualt are canceled.
  25. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    you know they werent maiking good games anyway, will anyone be making star wars games in the future?