main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    See! Seee! Good.

I can't believe I'm going to quote Han Solo, but let's keep a little optimism here.

Also the JK:eek:/JA news is amazing. I wish more game devs did that with their older games. It was pretty awesome when CA released the E:TW/N:TW source code.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Actually, it's only been eight years, almost exactly. 2005, Republic Commando, developed in-house. Before that, though, I have no idea how far back you have to go to find anything solid developed in-house. Probably the last millennium.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That's an odd comment. The Old Republic wasn't developed by Lucasarts in house, and wasn't at all poorly received. I agree with the overall sentiment, though.

4. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    Kotaku

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It'll be their loss if it isn't picked up. The early reception has been immensely positive; it was looking to be a big seller.

And besides, getting 1313 back on track would be a great gesture to the fans that could only work in Disney's benefit. With just that one move, they could make a rather sweeping statement, that they're not just here to clean house, but fully intend to take advantage of the Star Wars license and do everything they can to release quality products, regardless of when they began development. And it will almost certainly be profitable. It's a win-win situation.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, I'd agree up to a point - the game was criminally short and ended on a cliffhanger... it was clearly designed for DLCs or a sequel that never arose.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, that's maddening, but I wouldn't hold LA's inexplicable failure to follow through with a sequel against the game itself. It was a great, fun game, certainly worth time and money. It was no Jedi Knight, but as LucasArts' last gasp at quality, it's not a bad end of the era when they made good games, and I think it pretty definitively is the end of that era.

GrandMasterKatarn and Zeta1127 like this.
  8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    It's not really accurate to compare the creative position J.J. Abrams will now hold with that which George Lucas did, either, but that's just nitpicking.

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    As far as 1313 goes, I won't be surprised if they hand the game over to a third party to rework into an EP7 tie-in. Saves needing to spend money and provides one of the requisite video game deluge that every blockbuster gets nowadays.

And what's this I have been reading about EP7 being delayed to 2019? I've read several comments to that effect in the last 24 hours, but can't seem to work out where the rumour is coming from.

10. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    [​IMG]

11. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Look, I understand that you are frustrated with the current artistic output from Hollywood over the last decade, but their is no damn good reason to demolish Los Angeles because of Hollywood's failings.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Some of you don't seem to be aware that LucasArts NEVER worked in isolation. Shutting it down isn't like throwing away a bad apple or removing a malfunctioning appendix. It was always working in concert with the rest of LFL, and had been working with other gaming companies for years. 100% in-house development or not, its employees weren't just sitting on their butts all these years doing nada.

So I'm sure we'll be hearing about repercussions along these lines for a while: http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/lucasarts-shutdown-triggers-layoffs-at-ilm-1200332765/

Esg likes this.
  13. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    In particular, even the X-Wing series was done in partnership with Larry Holland's Totally Games studio after TIE FIGHTER.

14. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    So that's why Disney tried to shoot Lucasarts but hit ILM... there was nothing in there to be hit to start with :p It went right through to the next in line!

15. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    well potentially this is a good move. Better games ahead i hope.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I get that. It's not that I'm glad that LEC is gone -- I'd prefer it stayed too -- but I think it's dangerous to let nostalgia for it cloud things. We've all spent years panning LEC for not putting out anything decent themselves, or basically doing nothing but licensing. Now, it's possible -- even likely -- that there's a lot of internal dialogue there that we're not privy to, that some segment of LEC was essentially doing internal QA or interfacing with other LFL entities to ensure everything went well together. I certainly don't know what's going to be left of LEC as a licensing entity: who's staying, and who's going.

All we know for sure is that it no longer exists as an in-house development entity. I don't know if that warrants all the panic or conspiracy theories. We don't know what the licensing model means, or who is actually staying outside those 150 laid off employees.

There's a difference between a decision I disagree with and a wholly objectionable decision. I can't fault Disney for seeing LEC as dead weight, in its current state. In a perfect world, I'd rather LEC was given a change to shape up, perhaps reinvent itself, but alas that's not my call. I mourn LucasArts as it was and what it could have been, but not what it is -- if that makes sense.

edit: I mean I suppose the real victims here are the actual designers, artists, programmers, etc. that actually worked at LEC. They did their job well -- it's the decision makers who made increasingly bad calls and kept shifting in and out of leadership positions that really screwed LEC over the years.

Zeta1127, Draconarius and TheRedBlade like this.
  17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Their card was marked the moment they chose not to make TIE Fighter: Empire. [face_shame_on_you]

18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    What about not making a KOTOR 3? Not to mention I believe LEC was pretty much the reason KOTOR 2 released unfinished.

19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The main problem was that Lucasarts was originally a pioneering game company which turned out some of the best cult classic games of its time... which then was retooled to be a money-making machine. I doubt it's a coincidence that it's decline coincided with the PT; certainly the first game of theirs I played and absolutely, completely loathed (to my great surprise) would be the awful by-the-numbers tie-in game for the Phantom Menace.

Fair enough - I did enjoy playing it, and that was one of the last Lucasarts titles that had that distinction.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay okay, just hang on. The old TPM RPG was amazing. A zanier, crazier RPG you will not find. From constantly annoying the hell out of Padme ("Stop pushing me!!!"), to massacreing the inhabitants of Tatooine, to the first video game attempt at Coruscant since the original Dark Forces... that game is one of the most thoroughly memorable game experiences I've ever had and remember to this day. I'd argue that TPM was anything but by the books, and while it suffered from being a movie tie-in, it still had that original creative spark that characterizes the original LEC productions.

Heck, I think almost all of the TPM-era games were pretty fun... Starfighter had a memorable cast of characters, Battle for Naboo was a subpar-but-enjoyable Rogue Squadron sequel (with the latter game being so good that even a poor imitation was still fun!), Podracer was spectacular and imaginative with its varied levels ("It's a new lap record!!" -- I still know the names of all those crazy alien podracers just because of that game alone -- Teemto, Boles, Ratts, Ody, Gasgano... etc). Jedi Power Battles was a great co-op to play with my grade/middle school friends... Never played Obi-Wan though, alas.

21. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Now we'll never know what happens to Darth Vader if there is no TFU 3!!

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe TFU II is no longer canon.

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The first view of Coruscant was the only reason I played the game to that point. The only reason I finished it was because I wanted to see the horribly broken "boss battle" with Darth Maul that you could end in 5 seconds by Force Pushing him into a pit. (Whereupon he magically splits in half).
    The lack of any real Force powers, the annoying voices... oh, and the 'no-win' situations that the game puts you in, like if you kill a single person in Tatooine - which was irritating in of itself, but when you add that the game deliberately provokes you by having a bar drunk attack you for no reason and not stop punching you unless you kill him... :mad:

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    When did you play it? Seems like you already knew quite a bit about the game when you played it.

When it was first released, it was a fairly graphically demanding game. I remember playing it on my cousin's computer instead of my own because she had a 4x CD-ROM drive compared to my pokey old 2x (...although come to think of it, the game was out in 1999, right? I think I had a 16x by then. Either way, I didn't meet this requirement or another!). The combat was a little clunky, but the saber deflection -- even if it was just holding down spacebar or whatever -- seemed more visceral than JK. In fact, I guess JK is probably the thing that most spoiled in regards to force powers: it had a ton! So did KOTOR, a game as far away chronologically from TPM as TPM was from JK I think.

I guess it's sort of like GoDV, y'know? The voices were annoying as hell, but also funny. The Tatooine disaster was frustrating as heck when you first played it, but you simply cannot deny that it's memorable. Hell, I even remember Panaka's weird triple blaster gun thing and being annoyed that Padme's blaster sucked in comparison (this was before I liked the ELG-3a).

Compare that to some of the utterly forgettable games we've had lately. Compare its awfulness to the awfulness we've had lately, without any of the quirkiness or charms.

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.