main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Does this mean the EU is all gone? Disney will be publishin FOUR books to bridge the OT with the Episode VII

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bryan[....]y-publishing-4-new-s_b_5170149.html

2. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    How would OT storybooks destroy the EU? They're about Episodes IV-VI. Anything publicity-related would mention the new movies, even if it had no real connection to them.

CooperTFN and Zorrixor like this.
  3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    They're kids books set during the OT using McQuarrie's original artwork for pictures, I doubt they're going to be exactly ground breaking in terms of story content..

4. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    My idea is for the Romulan ship, Narada, to have cause the change of events in the Star Wars Universe. It does this by going though the Star Wars universe for a second or two while it's on its way to change the Star Trek universe.

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    So wait is Supershadow dead? When did this happen?

6. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    I disagree. I don't think you can conclude that because one group didn't do it well, another also wouldn't. That doesn't make much sense.

Alternatively, though, perhaps you could make Episode III about the formation of the Rebellion?

The idea is more to demonstrate and provide more context for how you get from the declaration of the Empire to the events in ANH. That's all.

7. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I wish the movies had completely nonsensical episode titles, since it's never a direct continuation but more of a "you missed ten episodes" deal. But nobody would understand why the movies were Episodes 3, 7, 13, 17, 22 and 24, so yeah.

The important thing here is to get from Luke being born/Vader ending up on the dark side to a point where Luke - "The Hero" - is actually doing something interesting. Seeing how the Empire built new star destroyers, finished the Death Star and created new trooper armour is just about anything the Empire did which we need to know in order for Luke to do his rebellious youth "kill the father" thing. TFU showing Vader being involved in the rebellion's origins is just about the most interesting story you can get out of the era of "nothing changing", but it's not a step in a hero's journey. Well, it might have been if the OT had also been about Vader's story, detailing his redemption instead of making it partial to Luke's story arc, and truly making the SW saga the saga of Anakin Skywalker (while it is actually the saga of the Skywalker family).

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Seconded. All you see is the Narada emerging from the red matter black hole and you can hear Nero yelling "SPPOCCCKKKKKKK!!!" from literally outside the vacuum of space which happens at the exact moment Han and Leia are about to be married thereby ruining the ceremony and altering the course of history.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  9. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    So that's how Jedi Prince 7 would have started.

Lazy Storm Trooper and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I would hardly call that "interesting". It seems that they are implying that the prequels aren't a good enough introduction to Star Wars and that there is a need to introduce kids to the OT through books (as if the movies couldn't do a better job) with concept art based on early scripts (as good as they are, of course).

Apophis_ likes this.
  12. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    I'm just having a hard time with this idea that, because stories were done poorly once, it proves that every single idea could not work.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    No, but it's probably confirmation that Del Rey's SW contract is all gone.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have the "new EU"'s Thrawn Trilogy.

14. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Hopefully it's by a competent author(s). (or are they YA?)

15. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    1. I don't see how these four books are "new EU". These four books are picture book adaptations. EU means that the material in question has information that's not in the movies.

2. Before the sale to Disney, Scholastic, not Del Rey, published the "children's books". These four books mean that scholastic's contract has expired, not del rey's.

Starkeiller, Revanfan1 and Zorrixor like this.
  16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    "Kids books" implies YA to me, so we might get that Jedi Prince #7 after all. :p

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I can't be seen in public reading YA. What would people think?

18. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    They'd think that you're a Star Wars fan.

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Pleased that you were reading Harry Potter and not any of that Star Wars Expanded Universe trash? :p

Rew likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Some of my favorite books are YA books.

But I read on a Kindle so nobody pays attention to what I read anyway.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That was the old EU. The Story Group will ensure that "information that's not in the movies" won't be problem in the new EU.

No, it's a big freaking sign that Disney is going full-tilt "in-house" with All Things Star Wars, if the CWAS and DHC endings weren't obvious enough. Del Rey's days are numbered. Thankfully, Disney doesn't own an RPG company or FFG would be sunk too.

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Wow, everyone's freaking out 'cause of children's books. Didn't see that one coming. :confused:

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The idea that Disney would move Star Wars novels to under it's own umbrella as opposed to licensing it out to another publishing company is actually really, really, really likely considering they literally just did the exact same thing with putting Star Wars comics under Marvel, which they also own. I'm fine with Del Rey losing the novel license if it happens, they broke my EU fandom heart by publishing Vector Prime anyway.

24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Disney only has a YA publishing company. I HOPE THEY DESTROY THE NON-YA LITERARY EU BECAUSE TROY DENNING

25. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I like Del Rey's prequel-era novels, but that's it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.