main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Also it's fairly easy to assume that Disney, with the Star Wars brand at the helm, would branch out beyond YA novel adaptations instead of renewing the license with Del Rey. Are more signs of how Disney has handled the Star Wars brand pointing towards Horray! More Del Rey! or Disney is going to continue to publish Star Wars novels under their self-owned label. Also I highly doubt that the only thing that Disney would do with the Star Wars brand would to publish YA tie-in materiel and that`s it.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Besides Disney's former subsidiary (and current partner) Hyperion Books, there's also Marvel Press - that makes novels of its comic book properties.

Revanfan1, Zorrixor and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, Marvel Press have been doing the novelisations and movie-prequel stories and stuff to tie into the superhero films, e.g. there's novels and stuff for Iron Man, Avengers, etc.

There's also some Pirates of the Caribbean adaptations that Disney Press do, although they're labelled "Junior Novelisation" on Amazon, so maybe they're still basic language, not sure. Still, not a huge stretch to just use either of those for Star Wars books, and/or set up another imprint, LucasBooks, whatever, to handle the stuff.

BigAl6ft6, Revanfan1 and purplerain like this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

The idea of an Iron Man or Avengers novel is still to strange for me to ever comprehend.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  5. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I'm sure the idea of a Star Wars novel was strange in 1975.

6. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I'm sure the idea of Star Wars was strange in 1975.

7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The popularity of books such as Dune (which Starwars borrowed from) and Star Trek would suggest otherwise

Gorefiend likes this.
  8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Exactly pulp Sci-Fi Novels were nothing new back then, but it is just strange to make a novel that is an adaption of a movie script, based on a comic book series. Just make a comic book adaption. [face_dunno]

9. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Or Lensman.

10. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

People on this forum just like to have something to freak out about. If it wasn't the children's books it would be about how the lightsaber didn't look cool enough.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It's my understanding that one of the reasons why the license changed from Bantam to Del Rey (and they're both imprints of Random House) is because when Episode I was coming out, LucasFilm wanted to increase the output of Star Wars novels and Bantam wasn't able to meet the printing demand.

If this Marvel Press is doing SW novels, it sounds like they don't publish a lot of novels in a year, so that would indicate to me that the literary EU is not going to be nearly as profuse as it was from 1999-2010 or so, and maybe even less so than it's ever been.

12. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    In the Disney conference all they all but said they are gonna keep rushing out movies,milking this licence for what its worth and then some(they are rushing episode 7 deluxe no doubt about that)...which makes sense from a financial pov(I work at a hedge fund wich hold Disney shares as a significant part of our portfolio) im thinking of using the voting rights to try prevent this coming star wars over saturation,wish I could get all the other institutional shareholders to do a locked step hostile hostage ultimatum.

13. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

That would be a good thing in my opinion. The current EU got far to clogged up with material.

14. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

All this means is that Star Wars is going to be different than it ever was before. As long as they do a good job and have a solid foundation of storyline's to tell then having a new movie coming every single year would definitely be a good thing. Sure you can always throw out the tired old card about how you're worried that they won't do a good job but that is just you worrying. And worrying without any kind of valid information to back your worrying up.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Meh, if Star Wars over saturates and churns out crap, we can always vote with our wallets.

I don't care how much Star Wars is produced as long as it's good Star Wars.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, no, no, no.... You do not vote with your wallet, you buy the stuff unthinkingly, then read it, get immensely pissed off and post several internet screeds about your agonising experience and then.... When the next book by the same author comes out.... you buy it! And then complain even more loudly about being ripped off and how horrendous it all is, but to not buy it at all? UNTHINKABLE!

Been doing the unthinkable for years, it's easy once you start!

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Is that the same thinking that sends people back to the theater to watch bad movies over and over again so they can MST them and then post their MSTing experiences along with their complaints on the Internet?*

*I only do this at the discount theater. Shut up.

18. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

i do see your point, however the novel, Dark Lord managed to be interesting.

the books are far better than the recent crap Lucas gave us

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
  20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I disagree. I think there very much *could* be a narrative in the Purge/Hunting. I for one wish we'd seen more than what little we got of the Clone Wars and the Jedi Purge in the PT. It was clearly downplayed for kids. Thus it really removes the bite of the gravity and scope of what's unfolding and the reverberations of impact for the galaxy. This is a Saga of war. I think we should see war's effects much more than we do but then war isn't a kid-friendly topic. Thus it makes sense but it negates a lot of potential.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The build up of momentum for a series set in the Dark Times was lost years ago. Looking forward to Rebels but a true DT series should have been made in 08 and not TCW.

Rew and TheRedBlade like this.
  22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    You're still new here, aren't you?

Zorrixor, Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Can't help you on that one! (And MST?)

24. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Mystery Science Theater, I guess.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Which is?:confused: