main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011

Well, TCW is on the same level as the films. So I guess you can say the LU consists of the EU and the first 6 movies and TCW (Though some contradictions to some comics and books makes it iffy in those terms), but officially LU is it's own thing and the OU (9 movies, TCW, Rebels, future comics, books and games) are their own thing.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And he was also in Season 2. In addition, Mortis was in Season 3 and Talzin was introduced in Season 3.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    He was also in Season 3.

4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I think the future of Star Wars fandom will be a lot less painful if people stop calling the Expanded Universe "the LU". "Legends" is nothing more than a marketing get out of jail free card; let's not take it too seriously. I trust that the authors who genuinely love Star Wars will keep as much of the EU alive as the Story Group lets them.

5. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Reprinted is what I meant. I want the new generations of Star Wars fans to have access to the Legends EU if they want. That's all I care about.

Also, someone on wookiepedia or anywhere on the web should make an "official" timeline of the Star Wars EU Legends.

That would include essentially everything EU related till fall 2014. I suppose the POV Luke novel could count too because its part of an already ongoing trilogy.

Or not. Do what you want. But I will enjoy the Legends EU to my hearts content. The New EU, I'll dabble in it but not to the same extent.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Tens of thousands of years of history reduced down to 36 years of history (For now). That's saddening.

WMIRTUTSF and BoromirsFan like this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Okay, life is too short--someone recap the last fifteen pages for me.

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The EU is dead. Long live the EU.

9. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    This is pretty much the worst decision they could have possibly made. Anything, including haphazardly decanonizing things by throwing darts at a wall, would have been better than this. Waru kark it.

HEDGESMFG likes this.
  10. OutlawTorn

OutlawTorn Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2013
    I'm trying to be positive about this as well but, as other members have said, it's nice to get a fresh air in the EU =).

BTW, does anyone know if the new EU(NU) has already it's own timeline out in the net?

I got very sad when I accessed "The Timeline Universe" homepage (http://timelineuniverse.net/StarWarsTimeline.htm), They had/have this message in their home page:

"The Star Wars Expanded Universe Timeline will continue to follow the original "canon" of Star Wars fiction, irrespective of the decisions made by the corporate body of Disney and Lucasfilm to nullify 35 years of existing continuity. Any new story, be it film, book or comic-book, that does not adhere to this original body of work will be deemed Infinities, and not the other way around."

I feel sad cos' this message seems to be typed out of pure rage (don't be seduced by the dark side,Timeline Universe ;/!!)... Albeit I understand their position of not moving on with Disney's choice for a new EU, they didn't need to take this change so hard! Just say you are keeping with the old EU(LU) and that's that!

P.S: So, if anyone can provide me/us a new link for a timeline that will follow this new EU(NU), please do so =D!

May the force be with you all.

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, good to see things haven't changed further since last night. :p

I do admire the Charlie Brown-and-Lucy-with-the-football attitude of those people who had a bone to pick some of the LEU and are excited about the NU.

Me, I'll be wondering how long it takes for them to cave and start putting out LEU works again (and, I wonder, if they'll try to retroactively make some of the works - like the new Luke novel - to be "both LEU and NU")

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not sure "amusing" is the word I would use.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It shouldn't be needed. It's pretty simple except us not knowing any dates.

??? BBY: The Phantom Menace
    ??? BBY: Attack of the Clones
    ??? BBY - ??? BBY: The Clone Wars
    ??? BBY: Revenge of the Sith
    0 ABY: A New Hope
    ??? ABY: The Empire Strikes Back
    ??? ABY: Return of the Jedi
    ??? ABY: Episode VII

We don't know how old anyone is any more, the timelines between the films, etc. But the above is the only canon timeline at the moment, I believe.

14. Desha Dorvan

Desha Dorvan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2014
    Yes. Yes, it's the end of the world. Say goodbye to your loved ones, make peace with your gods, burn your useless material possessions in symbolic tribute. Dance under the heavy dark firmament and await the inevitable. Reflect on the short time our species have had on this little blue marble as it spins out of orbit, doomed to crash among the heavenly bodies in an explosion of the highest magnitude, silently reducing our solar system to carbon and various gasses floating into the black void. OH ALAS! Our memory of youth, of innocence and a time where the world was new and fascinating! Before society's limitations and the drudgery of organized living, the expectations to further propagate the species, the relentless march of time and age and decay!

Don't be so kriffing over dramatic. :p

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Looks like someone has no idea what they're talking about.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He knows exactly what he's talking about. The entire clone setup contradicts both AOTC and ROTS. And that's just one example.

fett 4 likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...wow.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    We don't even know if the BBY/ABY dating system still counts.
    There should be 10 years between TPM and AOTC, no idea for Clone Wars but should be 3, 19 between ROTS and ANH and no idea for ANH to ESB and ESB to ROTJ.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The novelizations are Legends too?

20. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    There we go.

Ulicus , dp4m and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    And somone has no idea how rude they are coming across

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I see we've moved onto inventing new problems. Excellent.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

And how do you know those?

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Some would find the spreading of blatant falsehoods to be "rude". By the way, good job backing up your claim. =D=

How?

25. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Didn't Adi Gallia die in TCW only to die again in Episode III? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.