main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, DC continuity rewrites are done frequently enough that it really doesn't prove anything. Quite a few fans did revise their DC pull lists in response to New 52, but DC also picked up a lot of new readers, but over a year later it is less than clear whether or not those new readers have stuck around too! For hardcore DC fans, no continuity rewrite will stop them buying as there's been so many previously. The way things are going, it is likely Marvel Now is going to win back the readers DC lured with New 52.

Also, just to utterly confuse any consumer, DC are selling both New 52 and pre-New 52 trades. (And is there a more newcomer unfriendly term than New 52?)

Esg likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And Infinite Crisis.

And Final Crisis.

And now Flashpoint.

Esg and blackmyron like this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wasn't Darkest Night/Brightest Day also a reboot of sorts, or was that solely Green Lantern? I don't read DC, but that's the impression that I got.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This debate isn't going anywhere.

Just an observation.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I won't stop until we've explored every ramification of the New 52. [face_not_talking]

Just kidding. Point taken, Coop.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Blackest Night was more focused on resurrections over continuity rewriting.

Major point is DC and SW EU are light years apart in how they work and I certainly do not want the EU taking the road to DC!

7. BaneOfTheSith

BaneOfTheSith Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2007
    I didn't care for the PT much...too silly.

That said, I suspect the ST will be amazing, for more reasons than I care to get into because they have all been mentioned already.

What I am more interested in is this; if we're going to get a partial (if not total) reboot of the EU after RotJ, does that mean we might eventually get new books - if not screen adaptations - of some of our favorites who might be dead?! Pellaeon, Jade and of course Thrawn all jump to mind.

Interesting to see if any of these characters make their way into a new timeline. Obvious fan favorites seem like a slam dunk to work into new stories.

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Would the characters appear in a new timeline? Quite possibly, I suspect. Whether it's Athurian legend of the latest DC reboot, popular favourites nearly always show up again.

Whether they'd appear in new books...? More doubtful, honestly. If Disney stick by their guns and churn out a new Star Wars film every year forevermore, then that will be what drives the new timeline forward, not the books like has been the case in the past, so I suspect all spin-offs will be tied to whatever the latest film is, just like they have been with all previous films, so it'll depend on whether the latest film had a cameo of Thrawn or Pellaeon or whoever.

It's the same as how TOR is unlikely to ever give us an Exile novel. A Vitate novel? Possibly. But the Exile was nothing more but a cameo in the game. Likewise, unless they decide to make an actual animated movie about Thrawn or something, I doubt we'd ever see them just go and rewrite the TTT for the sheer sake of it as they'll be wanting to maximise the merchandising opportunities for every new film, with novelisations, comics, and video games all tied into the newest movie like happened after the Clone Wars film.

Fast forward a couple of years and you won't be seeing loads of TCW tie-ins and Darth Maul novels and comics, but loads of Episode 7 villain novels and comics.

Esg likes this.
  9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This made me smile a little inside. [face_batting]

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yoda you say? Impossible to see, the future is.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60757

Well, I for one would love a movie set during the better days of the Republic and revolving around a young Yoda, but hey, who the hell knows for sure. But the rumors of stand alones being produced alongside the new Trilogy continue to pop up...

--Adm. Nick

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  11. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Waru: The Movie.

CaptainPeabody and Zorrixor like this.
  12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    The world is not yet ready for the divine truth that is Waru.

And a Yoda movie? Hmm... dunno. Is there much a Jedi can do on the big screen that would interest the average consumer without there being Sith involved? Trade negotiations didn't really go down well.

I'd honestly prefer spin-offs initially filled in the Dark Times, as they'd be easily accessible to your casual fan, feature Darth Vader, who is obviously a selling point in himself, and could easily be worked into a fun, if cliche action adventure similar to something like TFU.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    If they do a Yoda movie, I expect they'll just move the Darth Bane era forward a hundred years -- rewrite it even more than PoD did -- and make him the badass Jedi hero who sends the Sith into hiding.

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    You mean the Sith apprentice who turns light or have you abandoned your own theory? :p

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_laugh]

I actually was gonna mention that... but, meh.

But, yeah. Also expect him to kill Darth Bane in the cave on Dagobah. :p

(TAKE THAT, "UNFAMILIAR SURROUNDINGS"!)

cthugha likes this.
  16. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm fine with a Yoda movie. It's particularly fitting that, if it came to pass, it would be the first post-Old Republic work on the timeline, as far as I'm aware.

Speaking purely for myself, I would be 100% fine with Yoda racking up some Sith kills.

And y'know, if they did use continuity, it would be quite nifty to have that Sith who turned to the light side do so because of Yoda...

17. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't know if I've said it here or not, but I am 100% convinced that the first non-Episode will be a Boba movie. Rumors be damned.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    On one end, I'm glad to see that Star Wars is getting its own film universe, with lots of potential for stories. Star Wars is a natural setting for such a thing, just as Marvel is. On the other hand... over saturation is a pretty serious danger.

20. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    A Yoda movie just does not sound interesting to me. I hope that they don't make one.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    How is it not interesting? We hardly know anything about his early life, it's a blank slate

Perhaps it could be a movie of him fighting in that Mandalorian war that happened a few centuries after Ruusan.

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I mean, if it's a movie about Yoda being Yoda, speaking in riddles just to piss off his students, spending most of his time teaching and meditating and just being calm in general, yeah, it won't be good. But it won't be that. I'd love to see a youngish Yoda. We don't see Yoda very much, even in the novels and comics; I'd like to see more of what the Grand Master can do.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, that seems to be a pretty good bet. They are going to make sure that fan favorite characters get some exposure.

Which, Force willing, means that we will have a movie about Rogue Squadron set following the Battle of Endor as the Alliance mops up the remnants of the Empire. Cause, if the folks at Disney do their research, Rogue Squadron has generated alot of money for LFL, including a hit book & comic series, several video games, and stuff of that nature.

--Adm. Nick

TheRedBlade likes this.
  24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd like to see a Vader movie (here's your daily challenge: think of something akin to Ghost Prison filmed, and try not to salivate)... of course, the problem is, if they ever get around to it, James Earl Jones might not be around. There can be no Vader film without James Earl Jones.

I'd love this as well. The X-Wing series already feels like a great TV show. I have to wonder how it would do as a feature film though. How attached are people still to the fighter pilot element of Star Wars? I know that was a huge sell in the 70's...

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Despite how utterly tragic the subject matter is, yes, more X-wings would be fun.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.