main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Dunno where you heard that, because even Zahn has stated he only met Lucas once years ago when he was first contracted to do the TTT.

Since then he has done his level best not so subtly, have his characters 1 up Lucas charachters all the time, while Lucas has ignored Zahn's works completely, not even bothering to do cameo's when he could have done with certain character's and even stated that Luke doesn't get married etc

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    okay back to the rumors. So most likely the focus in Jaina and Allana. But what about Ben? Will he exist as Luke's son? to me Ben should be more of a focus than allana

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Careful there--it's enough of a gun-jump to assume the rumor is true at all, let alone to assume it means Jaina and Allana.

That said, I can see them going that route in that Jaina's existence is a lot easier to explain to non-EU fans than Ben's, because explaining Ben means explaining Mara, and Mara has a very complicated backstory. Even Allana is easier, because all you need to know about Tenel Ka is that she is/was another Jedi.

4. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Well the plot is centered on han, so it's his kid and grandkid. We know that Jaina will exist because of the Sword of the Jedi books.

5. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Speaking of Blu-Rays, I'm watching the special features for the OT right now. The only thing that separates ANH from TPM is a special effects budget and some serious editing. This seems particularly true of the first acts of the film, which would have been painfully slow in ANH as originally shot.

It does sound like we might actually could actually get Jania and Allana, which is madness. My head will explode if they pull this off with minimal loss to the EU.

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Since when did we know that?

7. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Source?

8. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This. I will be amazed if this would happen.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Even Mara's death aside, explaining Mara at all would require more work, even if she was still alive, as Ben would be the film's protagonist, and people totally unfamiliar with the EU wouldn't even know that Luke had met someone, how they met, what their name was, etc, etc, etc. Whereas Jaina? ROTJ already set up that Han and Leia had become a couple, so starting a film with their kid is easy and totally predictable to a film audience.

And while Jag could pose a slight barrier, he's enough of a cliche ("Leia's daughter met a "good" Imperial") that he's not that hard to accommodate, if he even needs to be mentioned at all (not like we ever met Obi-Wan's secret harem in Mos Espa).

10. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Even if this random website has any credibility, taking this as some sort of indication the EU characters will be used is ridiculous. I mean it's only logical for the descendants of Han and Leia to be characters in the sequel trilogy.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think you're mixing up the ST and Crucible. Though Han may very well get a bigger role in the ST, because, y'know, Harrison Ford.

12. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    That could very well be the case. However I took "The focus is on Han, so it's his kid and grandkid" to mean the ST, given Han's had a kid for decades and a grandchild for a few years but FOTJ certainly has not been focussed on Han. Don't know much about Crucible though, isn't it meant to be some kind of big hurrah for the Big Three? So completely unlike anything I've read before!

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Sorry, by "you're" I meant Matteus. [face_peace]

And yeah, there was an official comment a while back suggesting that Crucible was a Han-driven story, which was backed up by a blurb posted a couple days ago.

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    "Last hurrah", heh...

Del Rey speak for: "Emergence of new uberthreat that causes the Big 3 to put their plans for retirement on hold and save the galaxy one last [hah] time."

15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Who, in the meantime, will be doing this.

CooperTFN likes this.
  16. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't see what would be so hard to explain. The Legacy TPBs have a short intro like the text of every SW movie that easily explains that time has passed, gave the relevant info and got on with the story. Of course, DH actually cares about the EU while Disney ... we don't know.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Explaining that the mother of Luke's child was an Imperial assassin would take up the entire crawl on its own. :p

Hey, don't get me wrong--I'd be thrilled if they did it, but I can see why they wouldn't.

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The fact that the term 'cinematic canon' popped recently (I believe within TOS material regarding the CWAS) makes me wonder if indeed we're moving away from the old Holocron canon to something like Marvel (in regards to the movies and the comics and how they are handled) like I've been suggesting... but I also realize that's fairly flimsy speculation coupled with a desire to be right. ;)

Completely unrelated, having gone to DisneyWorld for my birthday recently, Disney would have to be the worst-run company ever if they don't take this opportunity to convert part of Hollywood Studios to a whole Star Wars area centered on StarTours.

Nubbs likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You're not crazy--that stood out to me too.

20. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I wouldn't worry too much about "cinematic canon" being all that different from what we have now. These blurbs are not themselves written by the Hand of God, and it may have just been a way of saying "a thing with moving pictures" as opposed "visually," which would include games and comics.

That being said, I'm all for yellow sabers. I like the idea that Luke's Order was more colorful, in pretty much every way, than the last.

21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    sorry. I am talking about Crucible. Yes because the plot is focused on some Han Solo enemy, it seems likely that those two characters will be featured. Now I assume that there are no plans to scrap the Sword of the Jedi series. If that is so, then we can count on Jaina to at least make this new ST.

22. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    That's not at all necessary or really relevant to having Ben in the movie though. You wouldn't even really need the crawl to say anything about Mara at all. That could come up in the course of the movie, mentioned in passing all like "since my Jedi mom died I've been working really hard at preserving her memory" or whatever. Or Luke "Ben, since your mother died I've been blah blah blah."

I think there are probably enough casuals aware of Mara Jade that her existence, passing, and having bore Ben Skywalker would be fairly easily absorbed by audiences without too much need for information. She was, after all, once considered the most popular EU character and has had numerous collectible products of her likeness produced, a graphic novel of her own, one featuring her and Luke getting married, was in one of Cade Skywalker's big Force visions, was the main playable character in the Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith expansion and was a major player in the novels. The familiarity is there, can be relatively easily referenced in promotional pieces in magazines just to get folks up to speed on just how the heck is this Ben Skywalker anyway and it doesn't have to complicate matters too much.

I would think if Ben, Jaina and Allana were to be the new trio for the ST one of them would be at risk of falling to the dark side... and if Disney and LFL were actually interested in preserving the EU and using those characters, Allana would be the logical choice since she hasn't faced that test. Both Ben and Jaina have been down that road a couple times.

jedimikey and Mia Mesharad like this.
  23. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    ^This. Thank you. I've felt like this was the most organic solution to Mara's absence since first hearing about this. Just discuss her in the affectionate past-tense, acknowledging how much she meant/means to Luke and Ben without needing to get bogged down in extraneous detail. Exposition is not a language people naturally speak, anyway. Maybe tell a short, funny story of something they did together. But if people really need more than that, well...they can crack open a book like the rest of us.

TheRedBlade and Summer Dreamer like this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, all Luke has to say is, "you have/are blah blah blah, just like your mother... she'd be so proud of you."

I've got to say, I created my own outline of how I would do Episode 7, for fun, and I think this would be a really cool way to reference some more EU:

* Luke faces Plagueis, Plagueis explains who he is and all that, and how the Skywalker bloodline is "destined" to serve him. Luke says he'll never turn to the dark side, Plagueis says he already has, and does a Wyyrlok-inspired series of Force-induced-flashbacks of the worst times in Luke's life... which would include the death of Owen and Beru, learning Vader is his father, nearly killing Vader, and then depict a few EU events too like sending Anakin Solo to his death, Jacen killing Mara, and Luke beheading Lumiya.

(Luke keeps a clear head, of course, but then Plagueis reveals that he's captured Ben, strikes Ben down, killing him, but then proves his power by resurrecting Ben as Luke holds his dead body, and then letting Luke and Ben escape, saying they'll choose to come back to him someday soon ... And at the end of Episode 8, Luke and Ben face Plagueis again, all their doubts gone, and both are killed by Plagueis as they recite the Jedi Code; unknown to most, though, is that Vestara, who was a Jedi but then secretly joined Plagueis, seduced Ben and is pregnant, even though Ben before his death ended up choosing his other love interest... and in Episode 9, the other love interest rescues Ben's child from Vestara and the Sith, saving him from possession by Plagueis).

mes520 likes this.
  25. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.