main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    CeiranHarmony you went for a Thrawn joke when you could have made it a Cad Bane one? Tsk, tsk... [face_not_talking]

:p

2. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Somehow even 4chan can be more witty with memes

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    if you would have followed my multiple topics spanning project of creating the ancestry of the chiss species to be that of Human / Duros interbreeding with two colony ships stranded on Csilla... you'd know that Cad Bane was Thrawns Daddy metaphorically speaking!

Zorrixor likes this.
  4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
  5. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  6. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    TFW it was George Lucas who created her. In fact, for those who don't know, all Clone Wars stories go through Lucas first. Haters gonna hate.

Sometimes, I feel like there are 3 sections of Star Wars fans that all equally dislike the others.

Clone Wars fans dislike the Saga fans and EU fans for hating them.

EU fans dislike the Saga fans for hating them and the Clone Wars fans for supporting a show that contradicts their stories.

Saga-only fans dislike EU and Clone Wars fans for both liking things other than the Saga, which to them is the only thing Star Wars.

But alas, this video sums up the results if we tried to get along:

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce and Ulicus like this.
  8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

Zorrixor and GrandMasterKatarn like this.
  9. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    The "almost" confirmed news that TCW is cancelled leads me to something more disturbing: would Disney renew Del-Rey and Darkhorse contracts? For TCW haters this is "funny news" But when the future of the EU is under attack, will you feel the same way? I want TCW and the EU to continue on. I feel if either is "cancelled" it's just a gateway for more and more SW content being cancelled.

So far this is all we've gotten:

Cancellation of the existing Star Wars films in 3D.
    Star Wars 1313 game on "indefinite" hold.
    Hasbro stopping Clone Wars toy line (maybe not Disney, coincidence)
    Cancellation of The Clone Wars animated series.

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

Dark Horse is safe for the meantime, Del Rey they can get rid of, I couldn't care less at this point.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Like I said in the other thread, issue 20 at a monthly rate will still be over a year before Episode VII comes out, and for all we know is still within the current Dark Horse contract. Actually I would say either way it's probably within the current contract, because I can't imagine them signing anyone beyond their contract.

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade...

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You're not raining on everyone's parade. I don't think any of us are running around acting like this is permanent and Marvel are never, ever going to get the license. We're just happy that the license is safe for the meantime, and we're going to be getting more of Wood's Star Wars (as well as Legacy, and whatnot).

13. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    TCW was only intended for 5 seasons, from the start. It can't just go on indefinitely, because it is supposed to fit into a pre-defined timeframe that while inconsistent with the EU's original framing of the Clone Wars has to fit into the allotted time to ROTS. And we have been rushing toward ROTS since Season 3. So the end of TCW has always been a given. We are going into Season 6, so it's beyond the earliest statements of how far they wanted to go with it. The question is, will they do a "sequel" Rebellion-oriented series? Because that's something I want to see. I have never really followed Marvel Star Wars, so I don't have a ton invested in the continuity between ANH and TESB... but I'd love to see a series starring Han, Luke and Leia and the Rebel Alliance. I want cartoon Wedge!

Manisphere likes this.
  14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    In the TCW thread, I pondered about if they're planning an OT/Big3 related CGI show too, yeah.

As Anakin and Obi-Wan are last decade's heroes, so I can understand why Disney might want to move away from the Clone Wars deluge and get the kids who've grown up with the PT to start focusing on the OT heroes and their futures before Episode 7 rolls around. (Of course, the OT 3D re-releases would have done that... go figure.)

They've clearly been doing that in the publishing side of things, with all the Rebels novel series, and now things like Star Wood, even Agent of the Empire, etc. The focus for a few years has been slowly moving back to the Big 3 and away from Anakin and Obi-Wan. Which could either mean a The Galactic Civil War CGI show set in the OT timeframe that fills the same goal that TCW did for the PT, or possibly a more immediately Pre-Ep7 tie-in to introduce some new characters and get people to stop asking which EU chars will feature, and start asking which [Insert show's protagonists] will show up?

Though none of that explains why 1313 seems to have vanished...

I just hope it's not because Disney want Star Wars to be more Ewoks and less Darth Mauls. As TCW was slowly becoming more adult and mature in theme, so maybe the newer seasons didn't fit what they want on their kids' cartoon channels? Likewise, 1313 was inherently Dark Times. I know Marvel has remained more mature... but it all depends what Disney "want" out of Star Wars and which section of their fanbase they want it to focus on. Not having Jedi competing with Avengers for merchandising and audience numbers is one reason why I must admit I continue to think that I won't be at all surprised if the ST is far less dark than ROTS and tries to be a lot more happy-go-lucky.

I just hope if Jaina's in it she doesn't get turned into the Ahsoka-type cliche female protagonist.
    I actually like TCW, so don't read too much into the Ahsoka image.;)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm thinking they're definitely going with the "less-dark" routine, but more light-hearted Avengers-style than Ewoks. Lucas was the Ewok/Jar Jar/goofy-slapstick-alien mastermind, and while in many ways he was a phenomenal director, he could never quite escape that Howard-the-Duck silliness shtick.

At the same time, I can also see Disney temporarily scrapping TCW and 1313 in order to remodel them to fit Disney's own agenda. TCW had suicide and a lot of heavy-handed real-world politics (anyone remember the ousted Scipio/Banking Clan episodes with the Wall-Street design? Pretty sure I know why that was cut last year...). I don't think Disney's going to cut down on the violence so much as make it more "politically correct" by Disney World standards.

16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Cancellation of the existing Star Wars films in 3D

good. they were a freaking joke anyway.

as far as the rest... i assume with the new movie coming out that they want to flesh out the future and take a break with the past. fine by me.

17. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
  18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    As I've said elsewhere, I'm now just expecting them to get to the book and comic cancellation announcement the way this is going.

We're probably just last on the list because we're the most niche and easily forgettable group of the lot.

19. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    new series... please be no post-ROTJ era... please be no post-ROTJ era... pleaaaase :_|[face_nail_biting]

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I can just imagine the Onion headlines now.... "DISNEY PROMOTES NEW STAR WARS BY CANCELLING ALL NEW STAR WARS CONTENT."

21. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  22. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Isn't Del Rey's contract still good for a few more years, though?

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    We should worry less for how long a contract runs or not... it is more important what they do to the content whoever produces it!

so far they only cancelled tv and game stuff... no novels or comics. so my unrealistic hope is:

DISNEY KILLS THE ENEMIES OF THE EU to soon announce and promote THE EU WILL RISE AGAIN AND RULE THEM ALL!

though they most likely will keep their most outragous kill for last and announce the already in the works post-ROTJ animated series at Celebration Europe where I can witness live how liberty dies with thunderous applause...

24. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yeah, I think Del Rey's contract is for a few more years, but I don't remember. We do know we still have a few planned novels ahead of us. Does anyone know off the top of their head what's the latest currently planned novel? As in terms of release dates?

As for Dark Horse, I think they have something like 2 years left on the contract? I can't remember, I may very well have made that number up lol. Either way, I do expect that they sadly won't have their contract renewed when the time comes.

As for the new TV show from Lucasfilm Animation, I think there's a strong possibility that it will be post ROTJ and serve as a lead up to Episode VII.

These are fearful, uncertain times my EU friends. I'm not liking it.

25. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Yay! The EU can be its own worst enemy again!

CooperTFN and CeiranHarmony like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.