main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That's incredibly unsettling. And hilarious.

Well, the "Marvel Max" series still exists, and those definitely aren't for kids,so I would hope that Disney would maintain a similar hands-off approach.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, the story is just that Disney did a rethink in the immediate aftermath of Newtown. It's probably a stupid corporate overreaction that will go away quickly, if it hasn't already.

3. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Why? Why must you post such a gif? W.H.Y. I can't stop staring at it.

I will justify myself and saying this is how a cat reacts when you say Disney to it.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    In all fairness to Disney as far as Marvel, they didn't undo Marvel dropping the Comics Code... but then again, the Comics Code was a legacy of a time when lobotomies were thought to be a valid medical treatment...

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Coming soon to a theatre near you: A New Hope: Disney Edition!

Think Han Solo doesn't shoot first? Think again! Han abides by the Smuggler's Code and doesn't take up arms against others at all! Gone are those gunshots fired towards Imperial Stormtroopers! Disnified are those TIE Fighters shot down by his Millennium Falcon! Quad laser turrets? Not anymore! The Falcon has been remade to fire harmless, disabling rays!

Coming next year: Empire Shouts Back, now free of any lightsaber strikes and the new shouting contest between Darth Vader in his son to see which of the two Skywalkers can shout NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the loudest.

6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    at least Stormtroopers remain unchanged... they didn't hit a target in the first place anyway :p now we know why: on purpose!

and as for the shouting contest... why shout if you can sing? Disney Star Wars High School Musical style.. oh my... I'd eat the Holliday Special over this!

Edit: But I still marvel at the stupidity of how these Disney-made/owned actors/actresses have to refrain from using violence.. but are allowed to go nude and do Spring Breakers style movies full of sex and such.

darklordoftech and Zorrixor like this.
  7. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

guess we will no more see grim NJO stuff, Joe Schreibers awesome books with upcoming Maul horror cancelled soon... Kemp can be dark too but not only dark, so he gets the axe next... and I NEED these authors, they rock! DAMN

:mad:

PS: No more cut off limbs by lightsaber I suppose?

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Maybe because, I don't know, violence is much worse than nudity or sex? One is completely natural and the other about hurting people?

cthugha likes this.
  9. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

well.. of course one is bad, the other natural. But the way disney and other media employ nudity it is just used to sell, with no regard to degrading the females to lustobjects. violence like in trash&kill movies of course is not advisable, but violence in accurate historic dramas or movies with a big mythology and message is never just bad, it serves a purpose.

example: Disneys Marvel movies are trash&kill crap despite being fun too often due to actors. Too many special effects, too many trashing and such. But while the Avengers trash half of downtown in defending the world.. we see not a single accidential civilian casuality of their actions. unrealistic I call that. their solution only works in a set up world and is no guideline at all. on the other hand DC shows darker movies, yet also collateral damage and death and has heroes find a path through by still showing all prices of actions and decisions and the hard reality around them.

this is why i love DC (despite too using too many special effects etc.) and Marvel bores me to death.

especially in a society (US!) where violence is natural (see arms laws etc.) and sex/nudity something censored a lot... their movies do the very opposite of their culture. that I critique.

10. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Yes
    Nudity and sex are beautiful things and should be celebrated, not shunned

11. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I know. Despicable. They are much more than just that.
    Imagine a world without sandwiches.
    DC's "darker movies" have only come about with Nolan and his Dark Knight trilogy, and hopefully Man of Steel follows this. Check out the older DC movies and you'll see something else entirely.

Anyway marvel movies are supposed to be fun. It's about super heroes!

Well it seems to me that it's the culture that's a bit messed up, and Disney have it the right way round.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I agree ;) Nudism for the win ;) I just find it weird that disney abuses it.

13. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    of course the culture is messed up, no doubt there. but I do doubt Disney got it right. Disney got it right in big chunks though.

as for superheroes... never got what is so super about them myself! still I enjoy them and love the fun.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    THAT WAS HORRIBLE.

*shudder*

15. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I think you're right. Disney is primarily aimed at kids right?
    Imagine your 11 year old daughter looking up to "spring breakers" as role models . . .

16. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    OMG you're right. It's not just about the sandwiches and sex objects . .
    I apologise

. . .

i forgot that there would be no one to vacuum the carpet!

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well, I mostly agree with that.

The way you initially phrased your argument was a bit weird because you didn't mention sexism or objectification, just nudity and sex, so I misunderstood what you wanted to say.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well of course not. Think of the children! The Empire Shouts Back will be purged of that nasty, nasty scene when Luke loses a hand! [face_shame_on_you]

And you can add Stover to your list of inappropriate authors. We can't have more of that horrible meltmassif stuff oozing out of people's eyes and nostrils as they die!

19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Spring Breakers isn't a Disney movie.

I don't understand this mentality that Disney only makes movies for children. Remember in Iron Man when Tony Stark shoots half a dozen terrorists in the face at once? Don't a ton of people get shot and/or stabbed to death in the POTC movies? Disney can do PG-13 just fine. Did anyone want or expect an R-rated Star Wars movie?

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Man, if you think Disney is all sunshine and bunnies, you need to watch more Disney. :p

Hell, even if you don't, you probably need to watch more Disney. It's good life advice in general.

21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Ah most people always forgot the glory of the Disney Black Cauldron, which is sure to induce nightmares in just about anyone. :D

Barriss_Coffee and Ulicus like this.
  22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, my sarcasm was sparked by the comment about them not allowing you to shoot people in the POTC video game. :p
    Oh, I have no issues with Classic Disney, it's the new stuff I dislike. :p

But then I am now the cantankerous old fart who insists entertainment was better in the old days. :p

I do like Kingdom Hearts though, and have no problem if they decide to have Palpatine become the new Xehanort and keep coming back repeatedly through ever more contrived means. :p

23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Bah. The Princess and the Frog and Tangled are both new, and both awesome.

24. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Tried to watch Tangled... didn't like it. I really hate CGI animation though, so that may have been what put me off.

Would probably watch Princess and the Frog but it never seems to be on TV like most of the others are some time or another.

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    You're a monster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.