main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Before we know it, Disney Channel will be relasing the "long-awaited High School Musical Follow-Up" "Jedi Temple Musical, featuring a group of brash, up and coming Jedi Apprentices dealing with learnign about the Force (by Jedi Master Tano), their new found love of singing (nights in Jabba's Palace with Sy Snootles), and their growing romances.

Zorrixor likes this.
  2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I own no Disney toys or DVDs, does that count? :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What about all their subsidiaries Zorr?

4. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Not sure if I own any of their films either, as I mostly just wait until something's on Sky.

I do, however, own every single Kingdom Hearts game, but then that's because it's by Square. :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, so Fox is your master, it all makes sense now! :)

Zorrixor likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks. I didn't need to eat dinner tonight.

Barriss_Coffee, that JJ Abrams meme is cracking me up. [face_laugh]

7. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    So it would seem... :p

I only even watched Spiderman a couple weeks ago... Talk about an anticlimax... I'd been looking forward to that, and meh, totally underwhelmed by it. But for Emma Stone, I'd probably have fallen asleep as... new guy, can't even remember his name, just felt so over the top to me, as if he had really wanted to play Batman.

8. Obrusnine

Obrusnine Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2013
    No, oh GOD no. http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

If that damn Star Wars dancing game didn't ruin my childhood, that certainly would.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I loved The Amazing Spider-Man. I liked the Spider-Man movies from the last decade, I own all three of them, but I liked The Amazing Spider-Man better. I haven't bought the Blu-Ray yet but it's on my list.

10. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010

You never know, but it won't be so bad. They could redo the High School Musical Trilogy as the Jedi Academy Musical trilogy. First one could focus on setting up their time at the Jedi Academy, film 2 could focus on Summer Break, where the Jedi Apprentices all go off to work at the Mos Eisly Cantina Country Club, and the third one could be Jedi Academy Musical: Jedi Knighting, where rather than focus on graduation, it focuses on their Jedi Trials, all through music. They could fit perfectly. Almost like it was preplanned.

11. Obrusnine

Obrusnine Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2013
    Even imagining this is giving me the chills. Stop... IT BURNS!

Seriously though, out of all of the things I have ever heard, seen, whatever... that is the scariest.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If the apprentices are led by "Jedi Master Tano", there's no way in hell that I'll watch it.

I wasn't crazy about the Jedi Rocks number either.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    So this is how literature dies... with thunderous music. [face_sigh]

Well, there we have it folks, if spin-offs aren't just a distant pipe dream for after they're done with the ST, but are going to be released in between each sequel episode, then that means films will now fill the role that the Expanded Universe did in the past, making books, comics and video games all secondary to things like Jedi Temple Musical and its supporting novelisation and comic adaptation.

You're not going to need Yoda: Dark Rendezvous to make money when you've got Star Wars: Boba Fett being released the following summer.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  15. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    "There were also some odd spin-off films that most fans will not speak of. "

Best line in the entire article. :p

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    For over two decades the posters of TFN were the guardians of continuity. Before the Dark Times, before Disney.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm thoroughly depressed now.

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
  19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    There's a thread about just that.
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/new-movie-every-summer-beginning-2015-confirmed.50011545/

20. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    "Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    In theory, I feel I should be annoyed. And I suppose I am, but not overly.

I just look at it like this. Star Wars is one of the only true mass, multimedia franchises out there. Before, it could claim that it was one of the only mass multimedia franchises with relatively concise continuity, which in itself is a staggering achievement. Perhaps that era has passed, and perhaps it hasn't. Obviously I would greatly prefer that it be maintained to some level, but I'm also starting to view this as what it most likely is; simply an alternate artistic interpretation to what happens after ROTJ.

I've always disliked the concept of "canon levels", because I've always despised the idea that one medium is superior to another. Case in point, TCW. The fact that TCW airs on television does not make it an inherently superior work to a novel or comic. One costs more money to produce, perhaps, but that does not automatically mean that more work was put into it. Obviously, we're becoming more and more of a visually led society by the day, and people are much more likely to check out a movie or TV series than they are a book or comic (yes, I admit, I'm one of those hipsters that gets annoyed when you rave about Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead but refuse to check out the source material).

But even so, the multimedia aspect of Star Wars has always intrigued me. I loved how we could get so many different representations of the same universe. One universe, with an incredibly surprising amount of great novels, comics, and films. Not all of it is great, of course- perhaps the majority isn't- but considering the reputation most tie-in fiction gets, I say we should be thankful for the amount of great stuff that we get. Each medium has its own set of strengths and weaknesses, and I love the concept of seeing different stories in the same universe through them all. This way, that can actually be done. It's not a coincidence that, since the OT, the film and television department has been the weakest area of Star Wars (though the video games have not been anything to get excited for lately, either. I certainly hope that's something that is looked at closely).

The other aspect of Star Wars that has always intrigued me is the opportunity for collaboration. Works can build off of each other. They can strengthen each other. Until now, the only people who have really gotten to play with that aspect are the novel and comic writers; the film and TV area has been relatively locked. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly interested in seeing what other film makers can do with the Star Wars license. We've seen Star Wars through the lens of other writers: is it really such a bad thing to see what an entirely different set of writers, from an entirely different medium, are able to come up with? To get something different? If they take a cue from Marvel and build a consistent "Star Wars Cinematic Universe", can it not coexist with the EU? For me, the interesting part of a SW Cinematic Universe is the fact that it won't be ruled by one man. We can get a variety of different talent to bring something to the universe.

For me, it all comes down to something as petty and insignificant as a word. Should the ST ignore the EU, I would like for it to be an alternate version of events. Not the official version, or the version that replaces the old EU. In concept as well as in reality, the old EU should not be so disrespectfully replaced and cast aside. It should live on. I'm not saying I want it to be referred to as "Galaxy 1", or something, and I damn well don't want to ever see any kind of crossover. But I'd like for it to be acknowledged as an important part of the Star Wars universe. I do not want the EU disregarded and destroyed, even if I still own the books.

Of course, that still leaves the problem: what the hell is the EU going to do? Continue as planned? Start following the films? That, indeed, is a problem, but not an unsolvable one. Considering so much ground has been covered in the post-ROTJ EU, I wouldn't be adverse to simply ending it (I feel that should have been done with The Unifying Force anyway). From there, each book would need to clearly specify that it's a tie-in to the new movies. The EU pre-ROTJ could, of course, continue in its current form.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nick's the only optimistic person here it seems. Even I've sort of lost that. :p

The boards will turn 15 in July. :p

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    My post was optimistic :mad:

24. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    what about the Filoni? I'm assuming Dark Times. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    And I will continue to fan the flames of optimism and enthusiasm. This ensures the survival of Star Wars for another generation. It can avoid the fate of becoming stale and stagnant like so many other franchises. I for one will always be at the front of the ranks supporting this sort of news. [face_cowboy]

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.