main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, I was decidedly *not* impressed with Coruscant Nights. For that matter, I haven't been impressed with Reaves or Perry since Shadow Hunter or Shadows of the Empire. Shadow Games was passable (they really like using "shadow" in their titles, don't they?), but not particularly impressive.

So yeah, I also have to agree with Sinre.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    what's happening? are you all brainwashed?

coruscant nights was a brilliant series.. full of continuity (that only TCW broke!) and lots of nods to other sources... last installment The Last Jedi even was the best out of the entire series with Mandalore, Dathomir, ancient stuff etc.

GrandMasterKatarn and Esg like this.
  3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I could barely finish the first book.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Don't worry Ceiran, I'm a big fan of CN too. It's not even comparable to TCW, since they cover extremely different scenarios. Though, in retrospect it would have been great for Tan Divo to have appeared in Street of Shadows. :D

Esg, Sinrebirth and CeiranHarmony like this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The premise for CN was excellent. But I always felt let down after reading each one... almost as if they had too many characters and too little plot development.

Also Jax was too self-conflicted of a character to strut a monocle.

Havac and Sinrebirth like this.
  6. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    I liked the first CN book, but the second and third were a bit of a mess. I especially didn't like how they present the Force as this kind of mundane, measurable power source that can be blocked by certain kinds of holograms or a standard Jedi just "cloaking" their presence in the Force with a simple effort of will. Not to mention that I-5 becoming a droid that could be sensed in the Force is a pretty hokey way to resolve an interesting philosophical consideration.

Say what you will about Mortis, but it's a good example of how even the Jedi don't know poodoo about the deepest nature of the Force.

Strangely, I'm actually enjoying "The Last Jedi." Force-annoyances aside, Jax is finally acting like a character and not a template from an RPG.

Barriss_Coffee and Sinrebirth like this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's pretty much the only way to resolve it, as far as I can tell. The Jedi already believe that life transcends biology, so the only way any argument for droids' rights can gain traction is by revealing that they do/can have a presence in the Force, and are thus living beings.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That said, the Jedi weren't very sympathetic to one of the guys who attempted to prove droids were sentient-
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aqinos

He was declared a heretic, and expelled or excommunicated, depending on the source.

9. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    how do you think the Jedi in the ST will be, compared to the PT?

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I imagine he'd have had better luck if he'd been able to point to someone like I-5.

I expect they'll be virtually identical, except maybe with the ban on families having been lifted.

I doubt they'll want to do another forbidden love story with any Jedi protagonist/s.

11. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    As if I-5 was the first... SKIPPY SHALL NOT BE FORGOTTEN!

PS: then again, given I-5 wearing droids like a piece of cloth... he could BE Skippy!

Edit: And since the first droid to wear bodies like clothes was IG-88... dressshopping for a Death Star suit... I want a faceoff scene with I-5 and IG-88 mirroring that movie of the same name :D

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

I've been wondering how they'll handle the families ban myself, and there's been some interesting discussion in the ST forum about it.

I do think that the philosophies in general will be virtually identical only with maybe a little more focus on "the present" and the Living Force, which is an area where I think Yoda and Obi-Wan trained Luke differently than the PT Jedi.

13. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Please no, Disney. Don't make me sit through another trilogy filled with boring losers wearing the same identical bathrobe.

All the Jedi in the PT dressing like Tatooine moisture farmers was one of the biggest aesthetic mistakes of the prequels, I thought. Did people who grew up watching the OT imagine the Jedi as cool? Surprise, surprise!

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I quite agree.

Still, that's what I think'll happen.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The men will wear bathrobes. Some women will wear bathrobes. But mark my words you'll get half the Jedi gals in floozy Aayla/Ahsoka outfits so the men will have something to stare at at the conventions.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    To be fair, every Jedi wearing those same robes dates back at least as early as KJA's work. So blame him. :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    But what will the women stare at? Isn't it time we got some shirtless male Jedi all wearing identical tight-across-the-ass pants?

I want my eye candy, dammit. Especially after TCW depicted the underage Ahsoka in a boob-hole top but Anakin wearing his armor in the damn house.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That's pretty much my take. The premise was tremendous, but the books failed to deliver on it. It's all noiry and Jax is a private eye Jedi . . . except he only does private eye things in one book, and because Reaves has no idea how to write a mystery, it's just a mystery he's handed at the start, he goes off and does other things the whole book, and then the solution is handed to him on a platter at the end of the book. In the end, the books had a lot of potential, but they failed to deliver on what they could have done best. What we got was just sort of basically entertaining as it goes along, but going in weird directions, misguided, and ultimately unsatisfying.

Tim Battershell and Darth_Pevra like this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Seconded. But I am certain we'll see the bathrobe look return. All we can hope for is one Jedi in armor.

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    who wants armor or bathrobes... I want Jaina and the girls in sexy Jedi gear asap!

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Jedi Starfighter Ace by WOTC [face_whistling]
    [​IMG]

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    It evidently has never occurred to anyone else why they are all in bathrobes.

And it's not because they help follow Jedi rules, if ya know what I'm saying... [face_whistling]

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    They are all Hitchhikers through the Galaxy? :confused:

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Wearable towels... sweet Jesus that is a 42 right there my friend!

get that into a movie on a Skysolo girl and I am sold!

Gorefiend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.