Lit Disney Wars: Episode 7 and the EU (Spoiler Thread)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

1. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
  2. Apophis_ Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I don't see any info here, but from what I know, Pablo Hidalgo and Leland Chee are both very involved in the process of making Episode VII. They confirmed during Celebration Europe that they are taking care of making new movies consistent with Expanded Universe. Leland even said that earlier at Lucasfilm they didn't really listened to him (TCW?) but now his voice is very important in the process of creating new movies. It will be a new story, but set in the world that we know. Doug Chiang and Iain McCaig both confirmed that. They even said that working with J. J. Abrams and K. Kennedy is more easy in terms of making it related to EU and that it was impossible with George Lucas who had his own vision.

I think this is the most important news from Celebration. I don't know why I don't see news about it. I can't link anything in english, I know it from polish reporters and polish fansites (here and here).

(and sorry for my somehow terrible english)
  3. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    That...would indeed be news.
    Pax Bandica and Darth_Pevra like this.
  4. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    maybe in terms of places, and tech, but the main casting doesn't reflect any known EU characters
  5. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    If it was true, it would be all over the twitter feeds, fansites, and blogs.
    Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. darklordoftech Chosen One

star 6
    Did anyone see Chee's Holocron presentation?
  7. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    That's the rub--it seems like most people were at the Rebels panel. My gut tells me it's a translation misunderstanding, but I just asked both of them about it on Twitter. They could have just been talking about the VII team consulting reference books for background info and such--same as with TCW.

Though there is their "story team" comments to consider.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Jul 28, 2013
  8. Apophis_ Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    This is why I'm still not sure what was exactly said during Celebration. Polish part of the Internet is celebrating that EU is saved and I was surprised that I could not find any information about it here or in any other english fansite. I can't even find any english reports from Chee's Holocron presentation.
  9. darklordoftech Chosen One

star 6
    Who is "them"?
  10. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Pablo and Leland.

Yeah, if there were any English panel reports to compare it to this would be a lot easier.
    darklordoftech likes this.
  11. darklordoftech Chosen One

star 6
    Thanks. Let me know how they respond.
    Last edited by darklordoftech, Jul 28, 2013
  12. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    Wow, news in the making.
    darklordoftech likes this.
  13. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    It's more likely mistranslation, story team could just mean giving Pablo, and leland the info to start working on a new ST friendly holocron,
    The only way they could work in EU characters, is if the second official casting call was a fake, but it's been confirmed to be real.
  14. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Well it could work with early-twenties Ben and teenage Allana if you really wanted it to. Or they could be jumping even further ahead.
  15. darklordoftech Chosen One

star 6
    I would hate it if they ditched their own characters just because of the EU. In fact, I would walk out of the theater in disgust!
    Last edited by darklordoftech, Jul 28, 2013
  16. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh so they finally admitted that they did a lousy job with continuity in TCW? About bloody time! Though its too little to late for me, because I enjoy Star Wars for it being one story as much I enjoy the films, if not more, yet Lucas is so stubborn that everything has to be his way.
  17. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    I'll look for german information on this. Maybe I'll find something.
  18. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    Well, I still don't really believe that the films will look out for EU. But the feeling of news in the making is an interesting feeling, isn't it. Like counting down the last minute to the new year or something.
  19. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    From someone who was at CEII:
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    that's what i thought, they're not consulting with Pablo, or Leland about the past, just the future.
    Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
  21. darklordoftech Chosen One

star 6
    Did they ever respond to your tweets, Cooper?
  22. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Not yet, but I think Aaron had the right answer.
  23. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    In any case this is proof that the whole "don't tell fans what's going on" policy Disney seemingly has is backfiring. I don't think the ST should restrict itself to the EU but fans still deserve to hear what will happen with the EU.
  24. darklordoftech Chosen One

star 6
    Who's Aaron?
  25. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    You're not reading this thread closely enough.

I don't know about that--if even Leland and Pablo haven't seen the script yet then it may be that no one knows yet what's going to happen with the EU. Even if it doesn't survive, that would likely come about as a result of the story decisions made along the way, not a mindset from the get-go of "let's overwrite the EU!"

I don't believe anyone involved actively wants to contradict the EU; it's just that avoiding it is--worst-case-scenario--a low priority compared to making movies that work. No reason to report anything until there's something to report.
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.