main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm not sure what to think about this.

2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Oh yeah. In my best-case scenario it works like the current DCU cartoon model, where they give their team carte blanche to adapt whatever story or comic series they want to the screen however they feel best, whether they be new or old. The Dark Knight Returns got a two-part movie, right before The Flashpoint Paradox, based on a comic that's only a few years old. Imagine if they start cranking out movies based on novels like Shadows of Mindor, or comics like Darth Vader and the Lost Command. How awesome would that be?

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    You want to see him act watch the Hollow Crown trilogy he is brilliant as Henry V

4. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I agree. I'm looking forward to Dwayne Johnson playing Princess Leia in Episode VII.

cdgodin and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Since they've got Benedict Cumbdale batch, there's really only one more major casting decision left to make.

[​IMG]

RC-1991, instantdeath, JackG and 3 others like this.
  6. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    [face_laugh]

7. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    My eyes will rejoice at the sight of that image.

8. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Nick Cage as Darth Vader "How'd i get burned? How'd i Get burned!

JackG likes this.
  9. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    "No more drugs for that man!"

10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    All this talk of hoping EP7 fails or doesn't get made just so GLOVE OF DARTH VADER can stay canon has me quite disgusted.

Just kidding. It's nice after a hard days work to come home, and check this thread. I always leave it with a smile on my face.

Bib Fartuna and DigitalMessiah like this.
  11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Actually Glove of Darth Vader might be one of the sources that stays canon by not being contradicted. It's a simple story with no large consecuences to later events, unlike TTT or anything that comes after it.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm not disgusted, I just think the best part of post-ROTJ has already been ruined. But even if it wasn't, my enjoyment of the NJO wouldn't be diminished by decanonization anymore than it has been by what followed.

aleja2 likes this.
  13. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    It's true. Let's be honest, nothing that Episode VII brings to the table can be any worse than what already exists in canon. I'm not worried about continuity issues, it's not like the old books will vaporize as soon as the movie is released. I'm more worried about them putting a good story to the screen. After things like the Prequels and TCW, I'm less worried about them contradicting previous material than I am about it being good. If the story's worth it, the EU will make it work.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    But, my Lord, will the new story.... work?
    [​IMG]
    I will make it work.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    [face_laugh] Oh, my.

The PT and the CWAS have already said otherwise.

16. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    I'm surprised I haven't read this yet, though admittedly I did skim. Benedict Cumberbatch as: Jagged Fel, Imperial Head of State.

17. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    That's exactly what I mean. I've told my Star Wars loving friends that I look forward to the new movies for one reason: considering what came before, there's nowhere to go but up.

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Nah, FourDot.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I have to credit Ulicus for the explanation because I never got it and had to beg him to explain it to me. Twice.

20. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Oh, I always thought that Rhett was his actual name... [face_plain]

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    So, let's hypothetically say that Disney does what most people seems to want, and says the Expanded Universe will be maintained as its own separate timeline from the sequel trilogy.

Will people here actually care about the sequel trilogy?

22. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    I would be preemptively biased and inclined to hate it. It would take either the miracle of a good trilogy or years of dealing with resentment to be able to appreciate the sequel trilogy.

Because, when you think about it, there's no real reason that the sequel trilogy and the EU can't coexist in the same timeline and continuity other than massive laziness on the parts of Arndt, Bad Robot, Lucasfilms, and Disney. If you pick the right era for such a trilogy and exclude the right characters from making appearances or being referenced, you wouldn't even need to bring any aspect of the EU to the audience's attention.

EDIT: The only reason you'd need to reference the EU at that point is if you're rehashing an existing plotline a la Palpatine's resurrection in Dark Empire, in which case we must then ask, why don't you just adapt it, you nerfherders?

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I would argue that putting Episode VII down right after Crucible would be highly restrictive to the type of story that could be told, as the types of character arcs available to Ben and Jaina are somewhat limited, and the situation with Allana is confusing to the uninitiated.

In an ideal world, it would be nice if they just did some pruning, but the argument against that is if they cut out stuff that people like, then they argue that everything should be cut out. A rollback to The Unifying Force would be ideal in my mind, but I doubt it will happen. I would be amenable to a rollback to Vision of the Future none the less.

Edit: BTW ~ I ask the question because The Star Wars came out today and I haven't seen it discussed here at all. It seems if something is outside the continuity bubble, people here simply don't care!

ChildOfWinds and aleja2 like this.
  24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You mean if it goes its separate ways from the EU and the EU continues onwards, unabated? Personally, no. Not unless the new movie is something spectacular and unique, like the original Star Wars. I don't need C-3P0 to tell me the odds on that one.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    If the movies are good, definitely.

Although really, if the movies are good and the pre-2015 EU continued down its present course in such a scenario, I feel like the more pressing question would be, would anyone still care about the EU in that scenario?

ChildOfWinds and aleja2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.