main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Luckily for us, he isn't the boss anymore! :cool:

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I think we're comparing apples and oranges. No one is going to confuse two characters in a visual medium.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    His manuscript though isn't it? And he is still consulting. Considering we got Jar Jar and all of the changes over the years to the movies. I wouldn't put it past him. Maybe I am being paranoid. Maybe Ardnt and Abrams can stop him this time from doing another Jar Jar but I don't know.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Arndt, and Abrams are good, at writing characters, that others created just look at Star Trek, and Toy Story 3.
    Plus He would have gone to Leland to see if they already had characters to fit certain roles. He had no objections to Dave Filoni using EU characters, in TCW
    Plus with movies that have to be made fairly quickly, why reinvent characters you already have.
    Arndt doesn't have to read all the EU books, just the character guides, and the Star Wars encyclopedia, plus watch the six movies, and TCW

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well,it really depends on what story they want to tell. If they want to tell a story where, say, Luke has a teenage daughter and Han Solo & Leia Organa were tragically separated when Han got kidnapped by Moon Men from Jupiter (with only their sole daughter to save them) then they can't exactly use the post ROTJ EU generation. Because they want the 2 daughters of Solo & Skywalker / Han being kidnapped for 2 decades by the Moon Men from Jupiter. Can't do that if you set the movie at 50 ABY post final page of "Crucible", y'know what I mean?

6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It really depends on how similar movie Ben and EU Ben are. If they are pretty similar, its okay that they carry the same name. But if they are different, then the problems start. Any new reader who picks up a book after seeing the movies would be confused that Ben Skywalker acts and looks so differently. This brand confusion should be avoided.

7. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

8. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Nicholas Coppola for Darth Plagueis. Then we can have either Hiddleston or Cumberbatch as a young Palpatine constantly snarking and backsassing the master he so utterly loathes.

9. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    We should get a clue when/if the Big Three are confirmed to have roles in the ST. There's only so much that can be done to 'youthful' actors appearances (much easier to age them) and, IMHO, 29 ABY would be out of range.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Set it after 50 ABY, Disney. Pretty please?

11. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    If the forthcoming Sequel Trilogy follows the EU, and Jacen, Jaina and Ben (this would obviously have to be set before the fall of Jacen), will they become known as the Little Three?

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Given the age of the returning OTers, I imagine that they'll probably be doing that even if they throw out the entire EU. :p

Bonus points if they go full Korra, and the Pettyfer (or whoever) generation are the grandkids.

Summer Dreamer and CooperTFN like this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Shush you.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  15. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    Rumors are stupid. That said, Liam McIntyre as a Jedi? Yesssssssss. Wouldn't even matter who/what kind he'd be playing, he'd pull it off swimmingly. Easy transition from Spartacus.

Quick, someone sew up a Kyle Katarn costume complete with shoulderpad, and then mail it to Liam.

On a more serious note, I can see him as the ST's Jacen analog, even if he wouldn't be playing Han and Leia's son.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah, I'm really tired of rumors and speculation.

Since everyone is so down on Episode VII, if only because of the continuity implications, I hope this means it's the inverse of Episode I, in which everyone was overhyped.

I don't expect there to be a Jacen analog though, unless you mean in the broad sense of a "Luke successor." I hope that they don't go with identical archetypes to the OT for the three main characters, so a Jacen analog would be welcome in the sense that he's not at all like Luke in the OT.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Don't think they'll be anybody falling to the Dark Side in Episode 7. It'll probably be a MacGuffin chasin' movie ala Episode 4 and (kinda, mostly) Ep. 1 (if you view the naboo planetary blockade as the thing they're running around about.) Anyway, maybe a sad bummer moment but nothing really dark for Our Heroes who shalt remain heroic over the course of Episode 7, but it's probably gonna be an adventure chase movie, happy happy yay, expodey boom, you're all clear kid now let's blow this thing cuz it's so wizard, etc. etc. Which is actually makes Abrams a good pick.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I hope the movie is neither about someone falling to the dark side (Anakin) or overcoming his or her shadow so that they don't fall to the dark side (Luke).

Ideally the plot arises out of some sort of consequence of Anakin fulfilling the prophecy. The way I'd write it would be the "making whole" of the Jedi Knights, integrating the shadow. The Jedi were whole, and when the Sith broke away, they ceased to be both literally and figuratively, as they came to define themselves in opposition to the Sith. Anakin was a Jedi that became a Sith and ultimately became both, and in wiping out both sides, the Jedi returned restored to their whole through Luke, whom has recognized his own darkness and accepted it so that it doesn't overtake him as it did Anakin and the Sith.

Dark Empire did that plot with Luke, deciding that looking at his robot hand after cutting off Vader's wasn't giving the subject enough attention, but I'm sure it could be handled much better than Dark Empire. The problem is such a story would probably be ideal as Luke is restoring the Jedi Knights, and by the time he's Mark Hamill's age I would assume that he has already done so. They might throw us a curveball though and have Luke and maybe Leia as the only Jedi in the galaxy, busting their butts this whole time to restore peace and justice, and perhaps not believing themselves ready to train others up until this point.

19. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I just got some insider info:

Darth Vader is Luke's Father

Jedi_Glover, tjace, spicer and 3 others like this.
  20. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Damn man, such spoilers should be forbidden, even when hidden.

21. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    That's false. Also not possible. Obi-Wan killed Luke's father.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I really think the order, such as it is in Ep. 7, will be incredibly small. Probably not even approaching a Jedi council that the EU turned around and adapted after the PT came out. I guess it will be "rebuilt" by the time the movie rolls around but I keep picturing Luke and maybe a dozen students. Also, I think it'd be kind of a cheat to have them back to the PT-level again when it kicks off at frame 1. The audience literally missed all of the rebuilding. It's a tightrope because if it's 30 years later and Luke is like "Oh, hell, I forgot to rebuild the jedi!" that would make him seem lazy. So there should be a middle ground. I doubt it'll just be Luke & 1 Jedi student and that's it.

Although I do think the Jedi-ness of it all in the flick tonally will be sublimated to make the flick more adventure chase-movie. That's generally how these Star Wars trilogies seem to open and Abrams is pretty darn good at the face pace ramp up in the third act stuff.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Fixed.

my kind of scum likes this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

[​IMG]

instantdeath and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I love how they're labeled "Action Figure". Also, who the heck is that supposed to be on the left? They made a Darth Sidious action figure in the Simpsons Universe for episode 4?

Speaking of which:

[​IMG]

"Mesa sorry. Mesa sold it to buy some space-spliff!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.