main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Apart from the artifice that is the post-ROTJ time period, that is what the Expanded Universe already is, whether people want to admit it or not. As great as a novel like Shatterpoint or Dark Rendezvous is, the characterizations and arcs within are irrelevant. Dooku is so awesome in Dark Rendezvous. Mace Windu is in Shatterpoint. So what? What does continuity do for that? The post-ROTJ is what everyone is so in awe about, and that tower was collapsed back in 2005. Continuity has been meaningless for nearly a decade. Episode VII will just be celebrating its tenth anniversary by making it official.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  3. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It doesn't make much sense to me why Lucas would tell Ford, Hamill, and Fisher that their characters wouldn't be recast if they didn't participate in Episode VII, but they have no problem recasting them at an age closer to the age they were in the role.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It doesn't?

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Why wouldn't they recast them for Episode VII if they have no problem showing them at an age similar to the one they were in the OT?

I think the Han Solo origin film is a stupid idea from a creative perspective. Harrison Ford made the role.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Dammit why don't they go with Boba? Daniel Logan's the perfect age, and even if he's a bad actor (I can't say if he is -- he seemed like a cool bloke at the conventions), you don't even need to have him say much! Make a kickass Boba Fett film -- it's a golden opportunity right now. The hype is there, the actor's there.

Heck, we can still have old Boba Fett in a helmet telling the story played by Jeremy Bulloch! With Tamuera Morrison doing the grisled old voice!

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, but boba fett is a BAD GUY....

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Anti-hero. Not villain.

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    An anti-hero is a protagonist. Boba Fett was not a protagonist.

Han Solo is an anti-hero.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Boba Fett is a villain in the movies.

An antihero in many EU works.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Boba's an anti-hero....in books about Boba... ;)

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Speaking of a Fett origin film, I can't see how they won't do one since Joe Johnston had already been pestering George to let him do one prior to the Disney acquisition and he directed the Captain America film.

I don't understand why everyone seems to think that all the EU (IF IT ISN'T DESTROYED BY THE DISNEY DEATH STAR) is going to be geared around the sequel trilogy come 2015 but then they think that these alleged "origin films" are going to be about OT characters rather than brand new characters from the ST. All we have heard is Yoda, Boba Fett, and Han Solo, and comparisons are made to Marvel. But the Marvel films were about characters in the Avengers. Boba Fett, Han Solo, and Yoda aren't going to be starring in the sequel trilogy, or even necessarily playing a big role.

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    But they could all have a "ROLE."

But yeah, the SW universe is a big universe to explore, and it's only logical to do some origin stories. So, there it is. I for one am looking forward to a Johnston Boba Fett film.

Hmmmm, origin stories could mean writing over the EU. Uh Oh!!![face_laugh][face_tee_hee]

14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I think this thread just made me lose a lot of interest in Star Wars...

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bookend it with Harrision ala that Young Indy episode and it'll go down easier. XYZ problem in Han Solo now / long origin flashbacks that elaborate on Han's beginnings and XYZ happening / XYZ resolved at end with Harrison "Han Solo" Ford.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I find speculation depressing too.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  17. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    This thread's tl;dr: many Star Wars EU fans don't care to see the series emulate comics.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Star Wars EU fans don't care to see new movies period apparently.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    A post-Crucible, fully EU continuity cohesive Episode 7 would probably please at least 56% of people posting in this thread!

TheRedBlade likes this.
  20. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    Ewwwww.

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    And approximately 6% of everyone else.

kubricklynch and ChildOfWinds like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Incorporating the post-NJO into the sequel trilogy is a good game plan for topping the prequel trilogy in badness.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The reason the origin films will be about the OT characters I think is mostly branding, branding, branding. ROTJ wrapped everything up rather neatly, and I highly doubt they're gonna bring Darth Vader back in the sequels, but set it in the OT and, hey now!, we can sell Darth Vader again! And Yoda too!

I'm sure there will be ST-spinoff movies but that would be "Phase 2" ala Marvel, the first 2 or 3 out of the gate I can see being all OT-set.

24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I think the person who could convey all the **** that happened in the time between the end of ROTJ to the end of Crucible in a three paragraph opening crawl in a way that didn't leave average viewers overloaded with information has Ernest Hemingway utterly destroyed in a contest of conciseness.

25. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    I'm going to be shocked if there isn't a Wraith Squadron adaptation at some point. Standalone story, easily accessible, nice mix of action, drama, and humor, it's about X-Wings so HELL YEAH, and the narrative doesn't go for three pages without something awesome happening.

The only stumbling block is the likely necessity of recasting Wedge. And the lack of lightsabers omg so coolz!

This is the most commonly misunderstood thing on these boards: you don't need to convey everything that happened in between RotJ and Crucible if that's your time frame, you only need to convey what's relevant or has bearing on your trilogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.