main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  2. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Well, the initial script for Star Trek II: the Wrath of Kahn was written in ten days to meet its visual effects deadline, and then edited during filming so as to make its release date--all because the studio had booked the film into theaters before they had either a story or a director. So it can work, provided you've got someone like Nicholas Meyer writing it, who's (1) a genius, and (2) works really well under pressure. Hopefully JJ and/or Kasdan fit the bill?

JediMatteus likes this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Didn't Avengers film about a year before release as well? It seems like 9-12 months of post is relatively normal these days for people who aren't George. Especially when they've already done 6-9 months of pre.

newdawn12 likes this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Mark me folks, all these doubts will be forgotten as soon as casting or plot details are released. I expect that we will start getting some details prior to the end of the year. These sorts of things happen in film all the time. The difference its that few films have the level of attention and excitement that Episode VII have.

--Adm. Nick

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yes, because they'll be superseded by a bunch of new doubts. :p

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Looks like the NJO shall remain my official continuation of the saga!

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    There can be no positive developments.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Cuz it was there first or because you believe that there's no way anything will top it?

10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I agree that there's a lot of unnecessary teeth gnashing over Episode 7 in general. Especially from the sort of people who post here and on io9. But I don't really think the HuffPo author is making the most sense here. There's been a sudden change in script writers, along with LucasFilm (the company actually doing the hands-on production of the movie) asking for an extension of time the parent company has flatly refused. I don't think you can take those developments and use them to back up some argument that "chaos is good, only good will come from this!"

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm of two minds on this.

One, Abrams might have stalled the release until I'm in a retirement home if Disney allowed it. Get your **** together, JJ.

Two, what everyone else said about not releasing anything half-assed.

Meanwhile I'm finding myself horribly apathetic about the whole thing, because either I'll like it or I won't, and I'm really not sure if the length of the production process is going to change whether I like it or not.

But it sounds like there's more drama going on at Disney/LFL than in a high school girls' bathroom. Because I'm an ***hole, I think that's funny.

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd honestly rather it take 10 years and be fantastic than come out next week and be average. Like others have said, when a movie's released, it's here to stay and be judged for decades to come, and in this case is in the uncomfortable position of having to stand beside and follow some of the most beloved movies of all time (though this is slackened somewhat by the reaction of the prequels).

JediMatteus likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Because the movies are going to be hard-pressed to beat the NJO. I'll probably love the movies very much no matter what happens but if they rush them for the hell of it, that is a possible strike already. Then if they don't conclude the Big 3 story I won't like it. I can accept a bad story line as long as they don't character assassinate them or beat them up for the heck of it.
    The NJO can be one of many possible continuations of the PT/OT saga, the ST being another. I have some expectations for the ST but can always jump back to the NJO if I don't like the ST. So no real loss if the ST doesn't cut it. The NJO had a great next next generation, most of the characters had excellent arcs, the Vong were an amazing enemy just as good as the Empire imo. Not afraid of death and would sacrifice you to their gods, a fully realized Jedi Order with many varied Jedi, an invasion storyline, amazing space battles, land battles and duels, the Shamed Ones and the Jedi heresy storyline, many planets and characters, it mattered not being a Jedi, the galaxy united at the end of the war, the Vong not completely decimated and hope for bringing them back into society eventually, the Vong not being in the Force Han, Luke and Leia go out on top which I am somewhat worried about for the ST.

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Phantom Menace took 16 years. Though to be fair, Lucas only started working on it in 1993.

According to the article, Abrams doesn't want to push it back. Kathleen Kennedy is the one that wants it pushed back.

JediMatteus likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    A wise manservant once said, "Some men just want to watch the world burn." So if the ST is a disaster they've got the Joker demographic tied up at least!

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Chaos take their mission!

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Fair enough, I've had Halloween type stuff going on tonight and only glimpsed at this news.

But my point still stands.

18. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Others have pointed out that movies have been successful with far less time to prepare for, and movies have been bad with a lot more time to work on them. I'm more interested in the seeming disagreements I'm reading about, where Kennedy wants it pushed back, but Iger and JJ are both confident in their summer 2015 release schedule. I wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

And if people's biggest concern is over the script, don't forget that a lot of the best parts of the OT were re-written on set by the cast and the directors, especially in ESB. And JJ has a reputation for letting his actors change or add to the script, so, I'm not worried. If Harrison Ford wants to ad-lib most of his dialogue, more power to him.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    A lot of classic SF films were created from adversity, including Blade Runner, Aliens, the original Star Wars, and The Empire Strikes Back. I'll worry about the movie being bad when I see it and it is bad. I'm curious to see how this negative buzz affects the ultimate reception of the film -- Episode I was overwhelmingly hyped, so maybe expectations will be so low that Episode VII can do nothing but exceed them? I don't think it will work that way though, because if buzz becomes too negative people tend to make up their minds going into the film, and every flaw becomes magnified, even in an otherwise good film.

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

Grey1 and CooperTFN like this.
  21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    That was almost literally the case in regards the script for Attack of the Clones and look how that ended up [face_sick]

22. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    The vibe of the AOTC was great, it was just the execution...

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Not surprising, considering that was helmed by Lucas. 30 years of polishing wouldn't have made AOTC bearable.

24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

to me it was even worse than Phantom menace.

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Agree. As bad as TPM was, simply from structure it was actually a better film. Hell wasn't Clones actually still being written when they were filming in Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.