main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007

Harrison just lights up lol

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    We might have a cognizant Ford yet if they keep Cumberbatch around the set.

"Uh-oh -- Harrison's spacing out again! Benedict, quick -- give him a good Wookiee roar!"

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    It's a bit of a nothing film IMO, but even if you liked the film, it was an utter failure financially.

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    So was Blade Runner.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I suspect a lot of Lone Ranger's financial problem was the boycotting since it was kinda sorta racist....

7. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    No wai, Johnny Depp is like 1/16th Native American so they had carte blanche.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Very true. I suspect that the financial failure was a combination of factors: people not wanting to see a Western, people being sick of Depp's schtick, people thinking it was racist... and people who just weren't enthused at all by the premise or execution of it. Like me.

Grey does have a point, thought I'd hardly classify the little bits and pieces of news we've gotten from Ep. VII troubled yet. All we've had for certain (i.e. not an unsubstantiated rumor tossed from fan site to news site) is the man who was brought on to adapt the outline he wrote into a script leaving and being replaced. That's it. Writers change on movies all the time. If Abrams leaves, Kennedy pulls it back to 2016 against Iger's wishes, Harrison Ford or one of the other actors walks off the set, or they outright cancel the film, then I'll consider it troubled.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    People would be happy if they cancelled it.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Another movie trilogy or 9 book series... another movie trilogy or 9 book series... decisions decisions...

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I gotta go with the unknown!

TheRedBlade likes this.
  12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Is Star Wars better on the big screen, and TV

Or as Books, comics, and video games

can both work together in the future?

13. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Whichever one tells the best story.

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    to me the books tell it best. But i loved the original trilogy.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bleeding Cool with the scoopage! Totally legit or totally BS casting call descriptions, YOU be the judge!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11...s-open-casting-call-for-young-leads-upcoming/

(note, names have been changed to protect the innocent)

Rachel was quite young when she lost her parents. With no other family, she was forced to make her way in a tough, dangerous town. Now 17 she has become street smart and strong. She is able to take care of herself using humor and guts to get by.

The second character being cast is codenamed Thomas and described as:
    smart, capable and shows courage when it is needed. He can appreciate the absurdities in life and understands you can’t take life too seriously.

Ghost and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the people who would go and see the film might slightly outweigh those who would be happy to see it cancelled.

Crazy theory, I know.

JediMatteus, BigAl6ft6 and purplerain like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If those are legit, that sounds pretty awesome, assuming it's done well.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Keeping with the orphan thing that runs through the Star Wars series (assuming the "losing their parents" is also not to throw people off in the casting), and probably most logically it would be a Skywalker or Solo offspring as the lead character, is it a Skywalker daughter who lost (or was "misplaced") by their parents or a Solo daughter? And is "Thomas" their cousin who comes a-lookin?

Going way out there into speculation, lost Skywalker daughter (hey, remember "Luke looking for his sister" idea in the vague ST outlines), Solo son finds them.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm talking about on this forum. Specifically the lit board.

20. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Why can't they just be two completely separate and new characters, unrelated to the SkySolos? This isn't part of "Lucas' Star Wars", there's no reason for everyone in the galaxy to be related.

Actually: conspiracy theory time, get your tinfoil hat on. What if the rumors of Arndt's script being tossed out are true, and said script did involve SkySolo offspring that we haven't seen before. And what if the new script by Abrams and Kazdan basically starts from a fresh place by having only the main characters, the Big Three, maybe Lando as well, and featuring a completely new cast of characters otherwise.

What if.... Episode VII won't be a reboot so much as it is just outdistancing itself from the EU, set far enough beyond everything, including Crucible, and featuring so few of the EU characters that they can be put together with relative ease.

WHAT IF... ... ... Abrams and Kazdan are saving the EU, either by design or by accident?

WHAT IF ALL OF THIS SPECULATION AND ASSUMING HAS DRIVEN ME OFF THE DEEP END [face_rofl] [face_laugh] 8-} [face_laugh] [face_rofl]

Nah, I'm actually fine.

BigAl6ft6 and CeiranHarmony like this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    What if Mark Hamill is playing Darth Starkiller and his gimmick is that he's utterly insane and he puts on the Joker voice for the role?

BigAl6ft6 and CeiranHarmony like this.
  22. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    "I think we're going to be doing this for a long time!"

-Heath Ledger's Joker, predicting Episodes X-XII.

23. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Look, they are looking for a Han/Leia amalgam, and they seem to want to replace Ewan McGregor!

The big reveal will be Han and Leia revealing that "No, Rachel! We are your family. Now please return our calls." This will actually take a huge bite off Cade's junior drug-addiction storyline.

24. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Thomas? Is that what Jimmy is called nowadays?

25. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.