main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    "Unlike Vader, Thrawn does what Vader does."

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Thrawn is slower to kill than vader, but he does it.

3. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I don't think Thrawn would have killed Needa, but certainly Ozzel.

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Yes but Thrawn is not a rascist like Vader though :p

"Unless," Thrawn added, looking at Vader, "you'd like me to deal with Prince Xizor directly for you."
    "It is indeed a tempting thought," Vader said, his voice dark with veiled menace. "One alien against another? But no. Xizor is mine."
    "As you wish," Thrawn said.

And unlike that idiot Vader he does not underestimate the Rebellion, even though no where in the films is Vader shown to underestimate it,

"An interesting exercise," Thrawn commented, crossing to the R'alla bottle and refilling his and Niriz's glasses. "I don't know though. I sense that this Rebellion is more powerful and better organized than perhaps Lord Vader realizes.

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Needa let a crappy little Corellian freighter elude him after charging his damn Star Destroyer head on. Somehow I don't think Thrawn would be very understanding.

6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    It hasn't been told what Needa said to Vader (other than "Sorry") but I think that if you want to survive Thrawn's judgement you have to have an idea of who is responsible, what you did wrong and how could this be prevented in the future. If the answer to the last question is "Don't have Needa in command" then you don't have much chances of walking out alive.

7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    People are reading to much into that scene. It was merely done to show off how evil Vader can be, as well as his great but dry sense of humour (Apology accepted) while also next showing him threaten Piett not to fail him again and so at the end of the film, against all the odds Piett survives, which was a dry subplot of the film.

Thrawn kills a guy in Heir because Zahn was told that by his Editors etc that he had to remind people that Thrawn was a villain. Of course the next time it happens in Last Command he promotes the guy.

Should also say that Thrawn is also the guy who gets Veers promoted to General too. So not only does he help Vader find Hoth but also gives him the guy who wins the ground battle too :cool:

Should also say that Baron Fel also makes a comparison between Vader and Thrawn in his comic and guess which guy is better :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Fel only said the plan lacked the dark nuances he'd expect from Vader. That's the only thin he mentionsas a clue that it ain't Vader's plan.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Or rather Vader's approach is that of a sledgehammer and Thrawn's is more subtle. Of course what that misses is that it likely suits Vader to have people think of him in purely sledgehammer terms, so that when he is more subtle they never see it coming.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    "A lot of the General's plans involve falling."

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Apparently, in the radio play, Vader tells Needa exactly why he's about to die, before the "Apology accepted" line:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lorth_Needa

"They are minor criminals! Marginal outlaws! You are inept!"
    "N-no—Lord Vader—please…"
    "And ineptitude is of no use to me or the Empire."

Not all Thrawn's responses to failure are "Death" or "Promotion".
    In The Last Command, we see a Needa-like officer's (the guy on watch when Karrde's smuggler buddies blew up a star destroyer) failure- and Thrawn's response:

"Have you anything to add to this report, General Drost?" he asked, his voice quiet.
    Far too quiet, in Pellaeon's opinion. Certainly quieter than Pellaeon's voice would have been had he been in command here. Looking out at the Chimaera's viewport at the blackened wreckage that had once been a nearly completed and highly valuable Imperial Star Destroyer, it was all he could do to stand quietly beside the Grand Admiral and not take Drost's head off. It was no more than the man deserved.
    And Drost knew it. "No, sir," he said, his voice sounding strained.
    Thrawn held his eyes a moment longer, then turned his gaze out the viewport. "Can you offer me any reason why you should not be relieved of command?"
    The faintest of sighs escaped Drost's lips. "No, sir," he said again.
    For a long moment the only sound was the muted background murmur of the Chimaera's bridge. Pellaeon glowered at Drost's carved-stone face, wondering what his punishment would be. At the very least, a fiasco like this ought to earn him a summary court-martial and dismissal on charges of gross negligence. At the very most ... well, there was always Lord Vader's traditional response to incompetence.
    And Rukh was already standing close at hand behind Thrawn's command chair.
    "Return to your headquarters, General," Thrawn said. "The Chimaera will be leaving here in approximately thirty hours. You have until then to design and implement a new security system for the shipyards. At that point I'll make my decision about your future."
    Drost glanced at Pellaeon, looked back at Thrawn. "Understood, sir," he said. "I won't fail you again, Admiral."
    "I trust not," Thrawn said, the barest hint of veiled threat in his voice. "Dismissed."
    Drost nodded and turned away, a freshly awakened determination in his step.
    "You disapprove, Captain."
    Pellaeon forced himself to meet those glowing red eyes. "I would have thought a more punitive response was called for."
    "Drost is a good enough man in his way," Thrawn said evenly. "His chief weakness is a tendency to become complacent. For the immediate future, at least, he should be cured of that."
    Pellaeon looked back at the wreckage outside the Chimaera's viewport. "A rather expensive lesson," he said sourly.
    "Yes," Thrawn agreed. "And it demonstrates precisely why I didn't want Karrde's smuggler associates stirred up."
    and earlier in the same book:
    "Report from the stormtrooper commander, Admiral," Pellaeon called, grimacing as he read it off his comm display. "Skywalker does not appear to be within the cordon."
    "I'm not surprised," Thrawn said darkly, glowering at his displays. "I've warned Intelligence repeatedly about underestimating the range of Skywalker's sensing abilities. Obviously, they didn't take me seriously,"
    Pellaeon swallowed hard. "Yes, sir. But we know he was there, and he couldn't have gotten very far. The stormtroopers have established a secondary cordon and began a building-to-building search."
    Thrawn took a deep breath, then let it out. "No," he said, his voice even again. "He didn't go into any of the buildings. Not Skywalker. That little diversion with the decoy and the blaster ..." He looked at Pellaeon "Up, Captain. He went up onto the roof-tops."
    "The spotters are already sweeping that direction," Pellaeon said. "If he's up there, they'll spot him."
    "Good." Thrawn tapped a switch on his command console, calling up a holographic map of that section of the mesa. "What about the shield-barrier on the west edge of the cordon? Can it be climbed?"
    "Our people here say no," Pellaeon shook his head. "Too smooth and too sharply angled, with no lip or other barrier at the bottom. If Skywalker went up that side of the street, he's still there. Or at the bottom of the mesa."
    "Perhaps," Thrawn said. "Assign one of the spotters to search that area anyway. What about Skywalker's ship?"
    "Intelligence is still trying to identify which one is his," Pellaeon admitted. "There's some problem with the records. We should have it in a few more minutes."
    "Minutes which we no longer have, thanks to their shadower's carelessness," Thrawn bit out. "He's to be demoted one grade."
    "Yes, sir," said Pellaeon, logging the order. A rather severe punishment, but it could have been far worse. Lord Vader would have summarily strangled the man.

12. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I've always loved the look on Piett's face when the Falcon goes into hyperspace. He just knows he's done for....yet Vader just takes another look out the viewport, then walks away.

13. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    The way I see it, what Han did to escape Needa and the Avenger was a desperation maneuver. It was no simple trick; it required skill and a lot of luck. Flying over the top of a Star Destroyer while under heavy fire, dipping down, and suddenly decelerating to a stop? It seems like an incredible feat to me. I can't speak in favor of Ozzell, but what Vader did to Needa was unfair. Needa was not brilliant, but it seems to me that it wasn't his fault such a maneuver tricked him and his entire crew. And he had the courage to take the responsibility entirely on himself. He could have blamed one of his officers and probably save his skin.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Ali Arikan@aliarikan
    2h

Latest rumour is Star Wars will start filming on April 22. Word was shooting would begin in May; that's the first exact date going around.

Expand

15. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Who's he, and how does he know?

16. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    A movie blogger/reporter who worked with Roger Ebert, through contacts in the film industry, and at Pinewood studios, where episode seven is being filmed.

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The same guy who said they'd make casting and title announcements back in October.

Jedi Ben and DigitalMessiah like this.
  18. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    You have to take him, with a huge mountain of salt

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm not inclined to take him at all until he's right at least once.

Jedi Ben, spicer, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    well Palpatine certainly did not think much of the rebellion. He thought they would have no chance. What he did not see as well, was Vader's betrayal

21. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012

Okay.

Are we in the year that is the death of Star Wars Literature / the EU as we know it??? [face_thinking]

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    2014 is supposed to be known as "Year of the Star Wars," so hopefully no.

spicer likes this.
  23. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    We'll still have Star Wars books, and comics, there's just no sign of anything Post ROTJ, being released, in 2014

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The only two remaining books with actual release dates are the Maul one for January and the Han Solo one for early March.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, in other words, next to nothing being released.

I'm starting to wonder what'd happen now if the next big SW project is organising drinks in a brewery?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.