main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vonghunter789

vonghunter789 Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    I have watched this forum for years and not joined in. This news has forced my hand. Just look at my screen name. We will lose such awesome creations as the Vong if Disney do not stick to continuity. The NJO was my favourite book series ever, I don't want to see it overwritten. And to those who say it doesn't matter, it does to me, those stories matter more knowing that they are part of a larger continuing saga. I can be noting but wary of this. Please can we just have a movie adaptation of Thrawn. And then if they do this '1 film every 2 to 3 years' they have enough material in book form to last till 2100 and beyond

2. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I'm really curious if this could mean that the big three will no longer be considered off limits for characters that can be killed off.

3. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Think it's the Sandy effect!

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Well Katie Lucas can now look forward to her ability to purchase her own moon now.

Valin__Kenobi and Summer Dreamer like this.
  5. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Did no one see the Star Trek reboot? They'll open up a separate dimension to shuffle the post-ROTJ EU off into. But it'll happen offscreen, because as far as Average Joe American knows, the last thing the Big Three did was the Ewok dance.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  6. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Just had a look -- there are well over 500 guests online!

7. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Another possibility is the guy writing the script is a freaking James Luceno who can integrate stuff without problem and have his epic story without steping all over the current stories.

DarkEagle and Daft-Vader like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    One thing an acquaintance pointed out elsewhere:

Boom! had the Muppets licence pre-Disney's ownership of Marvel, once the contract ended, Disney owned Marvel by that time, the contract went to Marvel. So, if that precedent is any indication....

And yeah, I've never seen Lit so busy, it's as if a million voices suddenly started posting in terror...

aurrasingrules101 likes this.
  9. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    They're going to bring in new writers / directors... why spend time familiarizing them with the EU? Delay production to constrain the filmmakers when doing a reboot will be so much easier? I don't see it happening.

10. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    Disney is DDOSing the boards! THE END IS NIGH!!!

11. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Sigh, I have a bad feeling about this.

I hope they think about the EU and the potential backlash here.

DarkEagle likes this.
  12. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Agreed and I think there's at least a fair chance this'll happen too, which would be a shame, but I do think that they'll let the current license run its course.

That said, if LFL is set up as a big pseudo-independent company like Marvel, well, they didn't force Marvel to use Dreamworks for their movies, and let them run it through their own studio instead? So LFL may still have discretion as to where to license their material. That said, comics aren't exactly a big portion of the brand, and Marvel Studios is still ultimately a subsidiary of Disney. So who knows.

But I don't think we're gonna see the comics imminently ripped from DHC - and their comment appears to back this up.

I'm still...really freaking worried about the whole thing, mind.

I'm slightly hopeful that the interview seems to indicate that LFL will be retained as an entity within Disney so perhaps they aren't going to reshuffle their entire business model, including their attitude to the EU. At which point, my hopes shift to the age of the Big Three meaning there's more of a chance they'll just start with a new cast a hundred years later.

Master_Keralys and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    I'm virtually certain that Dark Horse will be allowed to conclude their ongoing contract, at which point Disney will then turn the rights over to Marvel, because there is no way they would allow the potential profits from a the 2015 release tie-ins to pass them by.

vong333 likes this.
  14. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well I for one am loving this news. More Star Wars movies for everyone. OF course anything can go wrong, but I'll stay positive. From a movie stand point this could be great. A Steven Speilberg directed Star Wars film or a Joss Whedon Star Wars movie. Sky's the limit right now.

As for EU, you people will just have to accept what many of us tried to tell you was coming anyway.

15. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Could that explain the abrupt (from what I've read here) end to Legacy, Becca?

16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    ^:)^ Think about the EU? Are you nuts now the flood gates have been opened. Yeah you got the clone wars, and the upscoming Detours, but star wars is now about to get an infusion that has been missing since 2005 and its about time. Man, never thought that they would actually do an Episode 7. But with GL retiring, we all new in the back of our minds that things weren't going to last. Now.....man a whole new set of books, comic books, video games, and maybe even a live action series and several animated ones too. Star Wars is about to get bigger.=D=[face_dancing]

Darth_SHOT likes this.
  17. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Think of this, star wars has been a success for 35 years, now its going to be even bigger and better.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Doubtful, very little explains that clusterfrell Tim!

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I did and recalling how terrible it was is what scares me.

20. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Then you better start now cuase things about to get real interesting.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Anyone know when DHC have the contract until? Short of Disney deciding to execute severance clauses that is.

22. IceHawk-181

IceHawk-181 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    Episode VII?

?

Lucas, I officially hate you...

23. jmf4

jmf4 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    FIFY.

saltmanz and Mazzic like this.
  24. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    According to CBR, Dark Horse will continuie to have the license for the forseeable future.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So many alerts I don't even know what to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.