main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wait, that's not the new X-wing design? I am disappointed.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm 85% certain it is either Palpatine's clone body after his essence transference goes wrong, or a new, more family-friendly design for Jedi Master Thon.

tjace and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  3. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I flipped through the photos and I didn't notice an X-Wing. I'm truly not obsessive about this thing, am I.

In further news, desert city set pics with lots of extras just make me think of Mos Espa ca. 97 (actually one of my first internet experiences), especially with those podracer-engine-like engines. So been there, done that.

4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Hey, after some discussion with my fellow mods, we're tagging this as a spoiler thread, so enter at your peril.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

Iron_lord, Draconarius and Grey1 like this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's with the Falcon set--you may have been looking at the desert set.

[​IMG]

Edit: man, double-ninja'd. Sort of.

Grey1 and Zorrixor like this.
  7. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Gossip column spoilers are just too hard to process properly.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    AHHHH IT'S TOO LATE NOW I KNOW THE ENTIRE MOVIE IT'S ALL RUINED

Just kidding. :p

9. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    If that really is the new X-wing, it's not bad. I wish the nose was a little longer (looks kinda stubby at the moment), but otherwise a very nice update.

Sent from my R2 unit

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

How 'bout the haček, the ogonek, the cedilla, the macron, and the breve? And the various underdots called for in transliterations of Semitic languages? And are you up on the difference between ‘ayn and alif hamza? ;)

You should have been there when our company, at a company party earlier this year to celebrate the release of several great big fat stressful publications, featured a game of "diacritics bingo." I was the only one in the company who didn't have to constantly look at the chart defining all the marks each time a letter was called. I managed not to win, but it was fun all the same.

aleja2 likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm certainly familiar with the cedilla, macron, and the breve (particularly since it's difficult to properly write epic poetry without the latter two!) but the iPhone alas does not provide for breves, at least on the English keyboard. But I'm not surprised: I regularly use the Greek keyboard, which disappointingly doesn't support polytonic accent or breathing marks. :(

Diacritics bingo sounds awesome, but seems like I'd have to look up a few of those too :p

Findswoman likes this.
  12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Keep your sexytalk to the Social Thread.

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Hmm. The engine intakes on that X-wing look somewhat different from what I'd expect. They're semi-circular, not circular.

Maybe that's just a factor of it being unfinished. Or maybe it's a new version...

CooperTFN likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Careful. Here, I'm your boss. :p

edit: Arf, we're suspecting that it's a new design X-wing. The nose is stubbier than you'd expect, too.

edit2: at least, it looked stubbier in one of the pictures. In the one posted up here, it looks sleeker. Weird.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    C'mon, leave RF alone.

16. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Oh, was the "new X-wing variant!" idea already brought up earlier in the thread? Sorry, haven't read back past the bonobo discussion yet. [face_monkey]

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  17. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm pleased they're continuing the tradition in which the starfighter technology stagnated on the X-Wing whereas previously it seemed to be developing at such an exponential rate that there was a new starfighter in every movie (to sell more toys).

18. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    You figure Rebels will have TIE fighters, and maybe some early X Wings at some point. So it kind of makes sense
    to have the same kind of stuff in the ST, that they see on TV. You go to the Toy aisle, and you can get A Rebels X wing, and an episode seven X wing.

19. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Is it just me or does that X-Wing look a bit more like a Z-95 Headhunter (like the one Wedge flew after his parents were killed - with each engine being a half-circle)? And you know what? Mara Jade flies a Z-95. And Doug Chiang drew a Z-95, among other EU ships, in the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels. [face_devil]

In actuality, that X-Wing looks kinda like Chiang's take on the X-Wing from his younger days, as shown in the Episode I web documentary "Thousands of Things." It also has the split engines.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

It was most definitely awesome. Spaces with a schwa counted as free spaces. Though I tried in vain to get my boss, who made up the bingo cards, to include both uppercase and lowercase schwas (which come up, among other places, in Azeri). I figured you knew about macrons and breves from your classical studies; you're right, it doesn't look like there's a way to do a breve on the iPhone, which is a bummer. But is your iPhone what you usually use for epic poetry? ;)

Edit: To return to the actual topic at hand, yes, that X-wing definitely looks cool.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Actually that X-Wing looks really fake. This is why CG is much better than practical effects.

Trip and DelRiego like this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    GET OUT.

23. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    It's unfinished and unpainted. Of course it looks fake. o_O

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Yeah, that Phantom Affair Z-95 was the first thing I thought of. If those are the true intakes, I think it's more likely based on McQuarrie's X-wing concept art. I'm sure that's what the Phantom Affair Z-95 was inspired by too.

aleja2, Iron_lord and Riv_Shiel like this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  25. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    The smooth fuselage looks like the McQuarrie painting, too. Though I really wouldn't be surprised if it was a design by Chiang, even if it's nearly the same as that painting. He said in that doc that after seeing the first film when it came out, he rushed home and drew his own version; imagine if that were you and forty years later you get the chance to really put that design (or one similar to it) on the big screen.

EDIT. Looking through some of the design work for ANH, it looks like many of the drawings from Johnston et al use a split-engine design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.