main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Guys the EU wasn't based off George Lucas' synopses duh

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey, at least that guy seems to be aware there was an EU -- he did say "as in the novels."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas isn't the only one who can write SW nor should he be the only the only one to write SW.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    With how many times Lucas changes his mind, Disney can probably do what they want and still say it's based on his synopses. :p

INT. CANTINA

HAN shoots GREEDO.
    GREEDO shoots first.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Um, is it wrong that I pretty much agree with that article un-ironically? [face_worried]

Barriss_Coffee and LelalMekha like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I laughed so damn hard.

Which one of you people wrote that? :p

8. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    "Hey, this wasn't in my outline."
    "Yes it was, George, see, it's right here on this paper with your name on it.
    "Oh, really? I'm a good writer."
    "Yes you are, George.

I don't think opinions on this matter can technically be wrong, Valin.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I believe it's Lane_Winree

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    That article just points out truths some may consider to be unnatural

11. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    This thread..... is the best thing I read about Star Wars since Stover.

Zorrixor likes this.
  12. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Yup, that was me. The comments in that post were fun.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sorry that Sheldon Cooper's unfunny counterpart commented at least 20 times, but I enjoyed it. :D

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Since this thread is working it's way towards page 700, to contribute, does anyone know how far out the authors for the PT novelizations were announced? A year? Will we know who would write the Ep. 7 novel come X-Mas? Also, on a personal note, I own all of the film novelizations (my OT novelizations are in one of those mid 90s huge all three in one combo paperbacks), the PT novels are all hardcovers, so I'm thinking, just to vary it up, I shall collect the ST novelizations when they hit paperback.

20 MIN LATER EDIT:

Whooo, IMAX ep. 7, yo

[​IMG]

Beauty of a format but aspect ratio swaps kinda drive me nuts, but that's just me. Hopefully the blu ray would stay a consistent aspect ratio to maintain consistency with the other flicks. (the 3D Blu Ray release can be all IMAX-y and whizz bang)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    You know, I despise it when people say that. "EU is just glorified fan fiction!" Umm...so what you're telling me, in so many words, is "I want non-Star Wars fans to write EU," is that it? Because if so, your logic is totally lost on me. If that's not your point, then what is? I mean, for goodness' sakes. :rolleyes:

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Stover was announced for RotS 18 months out. Can't find a genuine announcement for anything prior to that, so it's hard to say--but we're already past the 18-month mark, so theoretically it could be any time now.

Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "Anytime now" is probably a good assumption. However, y'know, progress on the novelization could be slower due to the Mystery Box...

Peter David tells a story where he was contacted to write a novelization (when Disney started running Marvel, I believe) and, while he's worked on novelizations before, this time wouldn't let him have a copy of the script, they would just let him have a few hours with it to make notes(!). So he passed and somebody else did it. So God knows what vile trickery is going on re. Ep. 7 novelization.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I dunno, that seems more liberating unless they expect a very direct adaptation.

19. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006

San Diego Comic Con is coming up and the Del Rey folks have used that as an announcing platform for new books. Wouldn't surprise me if we get some novelization news either then or at New York Comic Con later this year.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    On the other hand, A New Dawn was announced four months pre-release, and the average recent EU novel has been 10-12 months. The times, they are a-changing.

Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I can try to sneak into SDCC to report on this matter.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Do it DigitalMessiah!

Or because Lucas didn't write it.

23. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    SDCC is going to be bonkers this year announcement-wise, and not even just about Star Wars. Pretty much every big company has a press conference there of some kind; we'll have to wait and see how much Wars stuff gets announced. Maybe we'll start getting more details, like crews for the spin-offs, or even confirmation about what the spin-offs actually are.

Or maybe we'll get the Rebels panel and nothing else, not even any new book announcements. Just... silence. [face_dunno]

Valin__Kenobi and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Star Wars dot com has gone out of it's way to say that, yes, it'll just be a Rebels panel. They don't have Hall H, the "big room", and JJ has skipped comic con while working on his flicks before. (also, y'know, Mystery Box). Disney's Hall H time this year is All Marvel so I can't see them tagging Ep. 7 randomly onto that. And the Rebels panel isn't going to have that room.

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-rebels-and-more-at-san-diego-comic-con-2014

With Star Wars: Episode VII creators deep in production in anticipation of the film’s December 18, 2015, release, Lucasfilm will not be featuring the movie at SDCC.

So, yes, just Rebels. And a bunch of smaller bits (Star Wars Origami, whoo!) But, maybe, heavens!, we'll actually get Marvel Star Wars comic news. At a comic book convention! Imagine that!

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    We are supposed to get Comic news there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.