main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Looking at the visual guide again... Apparently the spice mining only in one hemisphere while the lush sanctuaries are on the other half. Seems Ryloth and Naboo also now mine spice, guess Palpatine didn't like all the waterfalls on his home world and the Twi'lek where already digging tunnels so now they'll export spice too. The royal family of Kessel isn't named. The Pike syndicate is involved.

Agree though that I care fare more about us getting EU characters like Jaina Solo than the hyptosised Judy Skywalker in her place instead. I survived the changes to Kashyyyk, Corsucant, Mandalore, etc... But if say Mara Jade gets introduced only to die that episode I'll get very upset. So to me Kessel's changes are a much smaller deal, still important but IMHOnot as important.

Abadacus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Naboo has mined spice since Episode II.

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The moons of Naboo, more specifically: "Our intelligence points to disgruntled spice miners, on the moons of Naboo."

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    And Ryloth has had ryll spice since forever.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Fixed. In particular, look at Bibble's crazy eyes when he holograms Amidala. He's so high.

TKT and Zorrixor like this.
  6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    My prequal EU knowledge is far more limited, lol.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    There were some Sith and some senators. That's basically all you need to know.

Ordo Skirata, Ryus, Gorefiend and 4 others like this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My point is that it isn't the 'death knell' of the EU that some to think it is. I doubt there will be anything in Rebels that wouldn't be explainable in the EU before the "Legacy" announcement.

Considering that FFG is soldiering along with the old EU, though, I find the concept of 'non-canon' in SW to be more meaningless with every passing day. I'd be happier if they do an overlapping canon (well, beyond the movies and CWAS they already share), but if not - oh well. [face_dunno]

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I hope the Rebels episode has them land on Kessell and it's flat out Sandworms, Patrick Stewart, Sting, the whole goddamn nine yards. Then the show basically just becomes Dune. Lawsuits are launched which, in turn, are incorporated into future Star Wars product narrative. There are entire episodes devoted to Ezra delving into copyright law, etc.

I may have had a beer and a few glasses of wine before posting this thought.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think you just made my night.

Cynical_Ben and Abadacus like this.
  11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm sure KJA can work out an arrangement between Disney and Brian Herbert.

BREAKING NEWS: DUNE FRANCHISE TO OFFICIALLY JOIN THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE!

(I think the above sentence constitutes a "reliable source" for many Ep7 rumor sites)

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    BigAl's been a board member for almost two years now--doesn't get much more reliable than that.

Ryus, WMIRTUTSF, Zorrixor and 4 others like this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've been reading it as BigAlt all this time. Huh, shows how much I actually pay attention.

14. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Well - once you've seen it, you can make a toy of it, so you can make Corran Horn toys even if you kill him after two sentences. You can then even make another toy for Iella Wessiri, who takes over the investigation. And then gets killed after two sentences. And then you can make a toy out of... well, you get the idea.

And the best part: internet fans would be over the moon because if there's killing, it can't be what people hate about Disney cliché kid stuff!

On a more serious note, regarding fan-favourite characters appearing on a show on a redshirt level and then being kept around for being milked, they never did a second TCW episode with Quinlan Vos, did they.

15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    They very rarely did a second episode/arc with any of the secondary Jedi (except Plo Koon), which for me was a big loss from third season forward. What's up with the main characters always getting spotlight with their silly hero's journeys?

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Wasn't Tatoonie based on Arrakiss anyway ?

Grey1 The reason they didn't do a seond Vos episode, was due to complaints from parents after being asked mummy whats a stoner by their kids

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    They swept him under the rug along with the show and created Rebels instead, based around brand-new character Kanan.

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I find it highly, highly unlikely that a sensible company is going to waste money designing, building, and on storage costs for a toy that 90% of the audience will only know as a meaningless background extra and have no interest in buying a toy of.

That's why when they want a redshirt, they should create a redshirt. Quinlan Vos appearing in TCW is completely different because the EU had not been rebooted and they could-- and did!-- continue to milk Quinlan Vos for money selling existing Omnibus reprints. But those reprints are now gone. That character no longer exists. If they did the same thing now, naming some nobody Zayne Carrick, just to kill them the next second, that would demonstrate nothing beyond a void of creativity.

If they want me to invest in their new universe, I want a new universe, with new characters, and new stories, and not for its "creativity" to be limited to the Random Article button on Wookieepedia.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Plo Koon and Ahsoka were the only characters Filoni liked.

And I think Lucas may have told the writers that they had to focus on the main characters, as he did with telling Filoni that he had to include Anakin and Obi-Wan. (I appreciated that, for whatever it's worth.)

But yeah, the first season or two with a Yoda episode, a Mace episode, etc. were really nice.

fett 4 : About Vos, wow, really?

20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Well from a certain point of view they might :p

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    From what I've heard, Dune's influence on Star Wars is a controversial topic on the movie-only forums.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not that controversial - the only question is the degree to which it was an influence.

An interesting link I found in one of those threads:

http://www.moongadget.com/origins/dune.html

Barriss_Coffee, Ryus and Abadacus like this.
  23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm sorry, you must be thinking of a different franchise.

[​IMG]

24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    ... and it had to go mention The Dune Encyclopedia. [face_plain] Fortunately I picked up my copy from a used bookstore years ago.

Talking about significant franchise changes, I don't think I could ever go quicker from excitement to revulsion like I did over the course of the first novel by Brian Herbert and KJA.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It might be because I've never read the Dune Encyclopaedia - but I didn't have much in the way of objections to the House Atreides novel. I liked all the little references to the original Dune novel, in Pardot Keynes's story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.