main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    oh man

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Indeed I am, the Disney franchise, not that bizarre creepy Star Wars thing you posted. :p

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I knew going into it that they weren't going to follow the Encyclopedia, and I was fine with that. But some of flaws were so egregious I really couldn't stand it. The Tleilaxu being known as religious fanatics when it was a major plot point that they had kept this a secret for uncounted millennia in Dune Heretics was probably the worst.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I found the Baron's weight condition being caused by a disease inflicted on him by Mohiam, a bit more objectionable.

Barriss_Coffee and blackmyron like this.
  5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Mind you even the later Frank Herbert stuff was very much out there but yep it was at least always way better written.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I recently did a reread of all the Anderson Dune prequels and interquels followed by all the Frank Dune novels, followed by the Anderson sequels - and the difference in writing style could be a little jarring.

7. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Also, I can't buy that their "conclusion" to the Dune Saga was in any way based upon the Secret Notes of Frank Herbert that his son found somewhere. If that sounds like I'm calling him a liar... well, I guess I am.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    So I have to assume that Star Wars is going to return to a more simplified way of storytelling, e.g. midi-chlorians are never going to be mentioned, which I think most people will say is a good thing. However, there's also stuff like the Cosmic and Living Force which first saw mention in the prequels and TCW.

Do most fans view these negatively? I know people make the argument that midi-chlorians demystify the Force, however I would actually make an argument to the opposite effect when coupled with the Cosmic and Living Force as was done in "Voices" and "Destiny." I think the popular view of the Force without these subtleties and nuances and without emphasis on anything apart from its duality for the purpose of conflict in the plot isn't particularly mystical or interesting. This is sort of the thematic conflict of the NJO that is present from the start through Anakin vs. Jacen, so I guess a way of putting it is that I think it's a good possibility that Star Wars is going to "return" to this Anakin worldview. Of course, I'd argue it was always more complex than popularly recognized.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Only speaking for myself on that:

I don't mind the midichlorians other than their fooling around in Shmi's uterus.

And I want the "cosmic and living Force" tripe as far away from the ST as possible. It makes me feel like I'm sitting either in a philosophy class or a church, which I suppose is entertaining to some people, but I'm not interested.

It reminds me of my Mom's description of a philosophy intro class she took in college, in which they analyzed whether the lamp they were looking at, really existed.

I was turned off from ever taking a philosophy class. The lamp is sitting on the table, I can touch it, I can use a switch to make it give light, it ****ing exists. I don't have time or patience for that ****.

No offense to anyone who enjoys it, but I have to drink to even be able to make fun of it well.

Barriss_Coffee, Alixen and Zorrixor like this.
  10. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    For the average film go'er, I always figured stuff like Qui-Gon talking about the Living Force just sounded like a flowery way of talking about the Force.

If someone goes saying the phrase Cosmic Force, I'd expect the average person isn't going to take much notice of that either.

I can't see them wanting to go into any detail in a film, as if they get into some complicated discussion of the Force I can see half the audience falling asleep.

Barriss_Coffee and Alixen like this.
  11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Or far more likely, especially since everything else about weird force experiments supposedly involved is now non-canon as well, she just does not want to talk about what really happened.

Barriss_Coffee and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Weird Force experiments might not be canon, but her visiting Mortis, "stuff" happening behind closed doors with this giant shape-shifting black and red gargoyle, and her returning home, and not remembering any of it, that sorta weird Force explanation would still be canon. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Zorrixor : Mortis was existential Force-y timey-wimey stuff in a show for kids.

...and unlike Doctor Who, it wasn't even good timey-wimey stuff.

So I don't know. It depends on how spiritual and philosophical and floaty-woaty the new writers feel.

But I do have hope.

Gorefiend : If I can return to my old head canon in which Shmi was just very diplomatically telling Qui-Gon that it's none of his damn business and have you heard Anakin or me mention his father? No? Therefore he doesn't exist...

I will be very happy.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "The Son becomes the father, and the father, the son."

Maybe I'm thinking too much of the Superman movie.

Zorrixor likes this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    What did you think of it in the eponymous The Unifying Force?

Well, some people apparently took Traitor and Vergere to be espousing Subjective Idealism. [face_mischief]

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Luke's speech in TUF was good, not pretentious at all. It didn't feel as in-your-face "I want you to sit around and ponder this!!!" for awhile the way the PT and some parts of TCW did.

As far as Traitor...that was a GFFA book about reality, not idealism.

Revanfan1 and Gorefiend like this.
  17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    That's exactly how the story goes about how Samuel Johnson rebutted Bishop Berkeley's thesis that all things are immaterial - he kicked a rock. [face_laugh]

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    There's a lot of discussion about the Unifying Force in it, which is the old name for the Cosmic Force.*

Quoting Wikipedia: "Subjective idealism, or empirical idealism, is the monistic metaphysical doctrine that only minds and mental contents exist. It entails and is generally identified or associated with immaterialism, the doctrine that material things do not exist." Maybe no one actually applies that to Traitor and I'm just making that up and I'm the only person making the connection given the idea of monism through complimentary opposites which sees repetition as well as Vergere's epistemological insistence that everything she says is a lie, but I suppose that's more bordering on solipsism.

But I don't take that interpretation.

*A history: Lucas mentions the Living Force and the Cosmic Force in The Making of Episode I, but the novelization of Episode I by Terry Brooks calls it the Unifying Force, which is the primary name it is given in Expanded Universe novels with the sole exception of Michael Reaves whom uses the name Cosmic Force in his novels. Since this is the name used in TCW, I've fallen into the habit of using it, but I prefer the Unifying Force TBH.

Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just take what Vergere says at face value for the most part and don't worry about where it came from. *shrug*

CooperTFN and CT-867-5309 like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "Everything I tell you is a lie"

Ryus likes this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    "All the answers fall short of the truth."

"Very good!" Vergere clapped her hands and bounced upright like a spring-loaded puppet. "Very good, Jacen Solo. Questions are more true than answers: this is the beginning of wisdom."

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Are you guys trying to ruin Traitor for me? :_|

ETA: "Questions are more important than answers. This is the beginning of wisdom."

Straight-up life truth. And why I love that book.

Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    How so? "Everything I tell you is a lie" is another way of saying "All answers fall short of the truth." Any answer Vergere gives Jacen falls short of the truth, and thus is a lie.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's a great book when I read it as straight-up life truths.

Reading it in the light of "Vergere is speaking from the standpoint of this school of philosophy" would ruin it, as I don't like studying schools of philosophy.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The idea may be to encourage readers not to take everything Vergere says at face value - but to examine it for themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.