main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hhn, there'll still be an end date somewhere in it, no one does open-ended contracts. At least, I don't think so.

2. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Well, if they are smart they will take one look at Star Wars: Legacy and say "That's what we'll do!". It would circumvent the whole continuity aspect and they just would have to excise the Yuuzhan Vong aspect of the story ( which always was minor, anyway ) to make it instantly relatable to the movie audience. I guess the only thing which would need real explaining is the Fel Empire.

And Legacy would lend itself really well to a movie trilogy. The characters are written to modern sensibilities and it has tons and tons of great character moments, a great story and lots of lightsaber fighting.

Hey, I'll stay optimistic and hope that they are at least looking at fanboards to see what fans want.

Rew likes this.
  3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    So many threads on this!
    WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE EXPANDED UNIVERSE? DON'T MAKE TCW HAPPEN ALL OVER AGAIN!!
    And only $4 billion...seems a little low to me.

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I am hoping for something set in the future well beyond the original trilogy and not destroying the EU completly. On the other hand maybe we will get a CGI Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford going forward.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Been a lot of discussion about DHC, anyone know how this affects DR's license?

7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Isn't the DR contract supposed to expire in 2013/2014?

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I have to admit I am very baffled by people throwing away their collections. Do good stories turn bad the instant they fall out of continuity? You could at least sell that stuff to people who would like to have it, like me for one.

Not that I am not worried about the EU's future, but that will only make more protective of my collection.

It is the wookieepedia editors I will feel sorry for...

JediDingo, RC-1991 and DarthMane2 like this.
  9. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Bob Iger's statement is quite interesting:
    "The Star Wars universe has more than 17,000 characters, inhabiting several thousand planets and spanning 20,000 years, and this gives Disney infinite inspiration and opportunities to continue the epic Star Wars saga."

Maybe we'll get movies and tv shows in different eras, at last?

DarkEagle, JediDingo and RC-1991 like this.
  10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I highly doubt Disney is going to care what a minority of hardcore Star Wars fans think. Mailing Disney that you want your precious continuity to stay intact won't do any good now. STAR WARS just opened back up to the world with this news. This is what they really mean they say a whole new generation will experience STAR WARS.

Either they'll continuie the story set after ROTJ with a new cast, which will not a be a REBOOT from their point of view, or they'll set it during a different time and have all new adventures. I'm open to both ideas.

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Depends... it could easily explain their aversion to commit to any ongoing arcs if they've been getting blank stares in the board room every time they've brought the future up. After all, this won't have been something Lucas just decided to do when he got out of bed this morning, so for all we know the rumours may have been circulating internally for years.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  12. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    Star Wars: Legacy would be a great thing to bring to the big screen in a new trilogy.

13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The new generation can experience Star Was just fine now

Not that i assume it's being threatened unlike most I'm not jumping the gun

DarkEagle likes this.
  14. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If they can adapt comics faithfully they can do books just fine. If their competent

15. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    "Treasure trove of stories," including the EU, will be mined for a continuation of the franchise.

New works will "respect the characters" and keep Star Wars "inspiring and uplifting."

I'm content. This is everything I've wanted to hear about the future of the EU since things started to get weird in Dark Nest.

Also, I'm sure this joke has been made somewhere else by now, but Guybrush Threepwood BETTER be in the next Pirates of the Caribbean.

16. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I don't know where I stand. Excitement and dread. The movie thing really makes me fear for the EU. All I really want out of new movies is Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire. If they could take ideas from Jedi Academy... primarily Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order from the ground up... and add that to the DE mix that'd be awesome. I suspect, if they are going to use Luke Skywalker(he is the crown jewel after all) for these movies they are going to want to show him starting the Jedi Order again. So why not tackle that but eject Daala and all that crap in favor of clone Palpatine and his Dark Side Elite?

In an ideal world they'd find a way to have a 30 something Luke and Leia and do both TTT and DE.

Good bye EU. It was nice while it lasted.

17. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So maybe this has something to do with why the upcoming Kemp duology has been kept under super-duper wraps?

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I agree. Kathleen Kennedy has also been saying that their number one goal is to "protect the characters" and "grow the universe." Even Lucas himself proposed EU source material in addition to his story outlines when discussing what they could potentially use for the new movies.

I don't think we need to go all doom and gloom here. It's a lot cheaper and more efficient for Disney-LFL to use what SW already has than reinvent the wheel.

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I don't know how to feel.

20. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    And really, a lot of what the EU does wouldn't necessarily work on film. It'd be, "The continuing adventures of Han, Luke and Leia!" It'd look boring to non-SW fans. Books don't always translate well to film.

MAYBE if they do prequel-prequels?

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    *shrug* Like I've said before, I'm not interested in a bunch of Infinities. If the worst case scenario happens, I'll move on to other franchises. Until then, I'll continue onwards with Star Wars.

Honestly, though? I somehow doubt they will do anything post-ROTJ unless it's far in the future, beyond the Big Three. So for those panicking (or rejoicing), it's a bit premature to sound the Death Knell of the EU.

Master_Keralys and Esg like this.
  22. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Has anyone posted his yet? Erich Schoeneweiss's Facebook response to the news:

Master_Keralys and CooperTFN like this.
  23. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Underworld couldn't be made due to costs. With Disney bankrolling it, it can come out faster? They have like 50 scripts already.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I am okay with this.

25. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    And SW: Legacy has story arcs which break down quite well into single movies. Well, they probably should strike out most the stuff which happened after
    Krayt "died"
    and cut straight to SW: Legacy - War, but the first two story arcs
    ( Start - Cade escapes from the Sith temple / Cade goes after Krayt - Cade & friends "kill" Krayt )
    would be great material for the two first movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.