main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    The design itself is more streamlined and sleek than the old T65, but it's obviously been through a few wars itself. Amazing what a little paint and weathering will do to make a ship look older, isn't it?

Also, orange and white pilot uniforms confirmed.

Kylun and CooperTFN like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I mean it's obviously meant to be an X-wing evolution -- just one that's been through the wars.

Speaking of the pilot uniform -- notice the helmet redesign? Glad that things are similar but not the same.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

This. Maybe bigger than the ship, there's the suggestion of more unseen wars ala the Clone Wars?

How would you call a prequel trilogy for the sequel trilogy? The midquel trilogy? Not the PT for the OT, but the ST (NPTOTBST) ? PT2?

[face_worried]

4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The New Jedi Order.

Oh, I'm evil.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd call it $$$

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Zorrixor likes this.
  6. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    If the X-Wing has been through wars; could that mean that the Empire was alive after ROTJ? I guess there's other explanations and that one has already be speculated about in other contexts. Still I wanted to bring it up

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Best image I have seen of the pilot so far, I was hoping it might offer a glimpse of a Rebel symbol, but I can't see one on yet:

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Keep in mind that a New Republic might return to the 8-spoked bendu symbol.

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Which I am ok with. But I bet this won't be the case, as the classic Rebel & Imperial symbols are just too iconic to not use again, ESPECIALLY if there is still some sort of Imperial Remnant.

--Adm. Nick

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I see the ships and troops a lot, but I don't see the logos very often.
    I'm glad you haven't bought into the EU's revisionism. If the EU had its way, it would say that the Old Republic used the Starbird until Palpatine became Emperor.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Revisionism? I'm sorry, did I miss the part where the Prequels came out first?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was talking about SWTOR.

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I hate it. "Let's take an X-wing and change one thing about the wings because we're kind of forced to change but too scared to design anything actually new."

Riv_Shiel and Trip like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That's not revisionism, that's creative bankruptcy.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Edit: was replying to tech, though it's a pretty interesting follow up to Hav's post, lol.

Havac, the EU did this all the time. Z95 --> X-wing ---> E-wing. What do you want? :p

blackmyron and Cynical_Ben like this.
  15. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    What does the TOR Sith stealing the Imperial symbol have to do with the Old Republic always using the starbird?

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was joking.

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I think the new X-wing is fine, as far as those things go. It could be indicative of an unwillingness to move beyond the originals, or it could not. At least it is different, even if only slightly.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Star Wars is getting too complex for me.

19. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I sorta admit, I did partially have the same reaction Havac had, but my love of the ship allowed me to not mind.

And at the moment, I suspect that's the intention: it's just a teaser, and so they're just showing us stuff they know won't give anything important away. (I'm honestly skeptical whether to put that much into the "Rebel" pilot outfit or not, as he might turn out to not even be in the film, and just have been the resident 501st guy who stuck some spare costumes on they had in the design locker.)

Of course, if they do just fill the entire ST with the same old OT designs, then yeah, I'll actually be on the side of Havac and be kinda bored, but I'm sure they'll have more newer designs too-- and heck, maybe this is only looking old and rusty because it's Tatooine and just some old Rebellion era ship that Daisy has to buy from Watto's son, and manages to barter an ancient Rebel pilot's outfit in with the deal, and that could be the only time we even see it.

Which would actually be pretty cool, as it'd make the first half an hour of the film have us think: "Wow, this is a blast from the past" and be thinking it's all going to be OT nostalgia... and them bam, she manages to get off Tatooine, flies home to [Coruscant / Mon Calamari / Insert new capital world] and we see all the totally sweet new designs that will fill up the ST.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's just one ship -- and already looks very different. ROTJ had X-wings and Y-wings like ANH but introduced a bunch of new fighters besides. I have to imagine a trilogy set 30 years after will do the same, unless they are just really terrible.

Also, 501st guy in a Rebel pilot outfit? You're making the costumers cry. 501st doesn't do Rebels, and both 501st and the Rebel Legion require attested outfits. You can't just make stuff up.

That guy's not in a screen-accurate helmet. It looks like a blend between the ROTS and ANH helmets. No costuming group would authorize that.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    501st, Rebel Legion, whoever. :p

The point was how, knowing what Abrams is like with his overall secrecy paranoia, I wouldn't put it past these teasers to only be costume mock ups and not necessarily the finished designs.

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

The E-Wing getting struck from canon is about the best thing to ever happen to SW. :p

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Jedi Starfighters sort of looked like TIE and X-Wing mashups by the end of ROTS so I like idea that it's still an X-Wing but differently tweaked. That X-Wing design is throughout the film series, they shouldn't just stop with the design at the end of ROTJ, I want to see the next stage in the X-Wing process.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm gonna be a big ol' grumpy fan, but I'd like to see something new at this point.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You got something new. It was called the PT. :p

Now the other vocal fan segment gets to be happy.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.