main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm talking about socially liberal. the slippery slope argument must be true if Han married the Millennium Falcon

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "We can't let Ozzel marry Jerjerrod. What if I love my ship and want to marry her?

Besides, he's as clumsy as he is stupid."

Zorrixor, DigitalMessiah and DelRiego like this.
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    *I* came up with that, Jello. Shall we settle this on the dueling fields?

Edit: A quick check in the forums indicates it was neither of us. :p

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  5. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

I hardly think having a married female character is sexist... Anyway, not to take my own theoretical plot into too much serious detail, but you just dismissed it on pretty shallow grounds; what I just outlined is saying pretty much the opposite of what you're saying it's saying... not "ladies need to be married," but actually making a small point about the failures of marriages of convenience. I mean, that's like saying Frozen is sexist because there's a character who desperately wants to get married. Yeah, it's sexist if you only see the first half, but that's stupid. It's exploring a human conflict the way every story does, and a flaw has to be corrected in the course of the story for that to have any value.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Having a married female character is not inherently sexist. But I do think marriages of convenience are; historically they are done for the man's personal benefit and the woman's financial benefit (because nope, she couldn't possibly be capable of making it on her own), and in many situations the men took mistresses.

One reason I hated The Courtship of Princess Leia is that Leia was treated like an object as opposed to a person. Her own well-being as less valuable than the alliance she could make.

I don't know that Han settling down and becoming a family man right after ROTJ would work either. I'm not opposed to it because hey, if he knows he found the person he wants to spend the rest of his life with, and she feels the same way...maybe he wants the rest of his life to start as soon as possible. (Brownie points to whoever gets the reference.) But...I'm fine with them not changing their relationship in ROTJ at all.

I can't see Lando marrying though, and I don't want Leia to be a bargaining chip.

7. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

But you can show that marriages of convenience are often sexist by exploring one onscreen (and I'm not talking about a huge theme here, just a minor nod to the Casablanca conundrum).

And anyway, I think a lot of the sexist tropes you're referring to would be absent in the case of my proposed plot; with the Leia/Lando twist, Leia would totally wear the pants in that relationship. Everybody knows it. And if you want an example of a definitely-definitely-non-sexist political marriage on screen, just look to Robin Wright in House of Cards.

I dunno, I just think it would be an interesting way to show how the big three have sort of gone back to their roots; Leia is back to being a political mover-and-shaker with the Rebellion, Han is back to flying around the galaxy, and Luke is back to living on a backwater planet.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

i think the eu does the transition justice. But i understand if it is more gradual

10. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    am i the only one who feels like Lando should be gay?

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, I've just got back from 5 months in India yesterday. Did I miss any news about the EU/TV/Ep7? Besides the idiotic floating hand of Luke Skywalker rumors, and some Asian actress being cast, that's all I heard.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    New X-Wing!

Ghost and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yes, and that's coming from Mr. Diversity Thread.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I would assume during the wilder parties for his Baron Administrator days, Lando was a lot of things.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I always figured that Lando was that one guy at the party who seems to be a party animal but if you observe very closely is drinking the same drink he had two hours ago.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah. There is no EU anymore. It's bye-bye. All gone.

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Don't mind him, he's being melodramatic--we've still got Moff Balfour.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Doctor Lando Calrissian, scientist?

blackmyron likes this.
  19. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I just now realized that Jack Harkness is what Lando would have been if ESB came out today.

Now I need an Infinities of these two teaming up to raise hell across several galaxies.

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A Captain Jack character could be a lot of fun.

21. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Well if no one else wants the Brownie points I'll acknowledge that it is from When Harry Met Sally.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I disagree, Lando was all over her in ESB and Leia didn't look like she was objecting. Look at this way, it's far healthier than having a relationship with her brother anyway

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I may not be the first either, but I've damn well been championing it as a term! NEU. NEU. It rolls off the tongue, and is perfectly catchy and descriptive.

So, looks like we might have to accept it was a collective decision. We are Borg.

24. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    I thought the book showed that marriage of convenience are a terrible thing and that people should marry who they love
    So you basically want their character arcs in the OT to be destroyed like how Barney character arc was destroyed in HIMYM?

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It probably did, but the fact that Leia didn't tell Mon Mothma to shove the idea where the Tatooine suns don't shine--hell, the fact that Mon Mothma actually thought it was a good idea for Leia to marry Isolder to form an alliance with the Hapans in the first place--ruined the book for me.

Riv_Shiel, kubricklynch and Iron_lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.