main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    I remember hearing somewhere they were planning to use Yavin as the Jedi Temple.

Abadacus likes this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    600 Masters and Knights against 7000 Sith.

So not as bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Darth Koo

Dec 9, 2013
    It's a beard worthy of Kyle Katarn, Obi-wan, and Qui-Gon Jinn. I'm normally not a fan of beards, but I like this one (and the other that I mentioned before.

Zorrixor likes this.
  4. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Which isn't terribly many. Given that there were several hundred trillion killed in the vong war. And that wasn't nearly the population of the galaxy.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I dunno, to be honest, even if it's not a big number, I've still always disliked how quickly the EU treated training as taking (not that they did that consistently!).

I mean, sure, "Luke only took a few years", but I always felt that wasn't really a fair reflection of what happens in the OT- Obi-Wan and Yoda knew Luke wasn't really "ready", but there wasn't time; that's what gave the OT so much tension and made it exciting. But realistically, I'm sure Luke would have needed to take several years to get things in order before he thought he was ready to open a full blown school. Training Leia or a best pal? Sure, but that's different.

So you've got a delay there, for a start. Next, you've then got the fact he's the only trained Jedi (until they decided to have dozens of others survive the Purge), and there's a limit of how many people one man can teach efficiently. In the EU, the answer was repeatedly: he didn't teach them very well. They kept falling to the dark side, dropping out, all things I hope in the ST hasn't happened. It'd be pretty bad in Episode 7 to learn: "Oh, Daisy's falling to the dark side? Oh well, not the first time... there was Dolph, and Desann, and..." So I'm expecting in the ST, Luke's not going to have failed as a teacher during the preceding decades. Not even once. It did a job for the EU, but would be an awful choice for the ST.

So... no failures. That's meaning he'll be teaching them decently. And you don't do that in a classroom of 100. That's rapidly cutting down how many he could (or in my view, should have in the EU!) train to knighthood in that period of time.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Poor Tim Zahn, he had his Emperors Hand/Hand of Thrawn/Empire of the Hand and Hand of Judgement and now they have all been retconned for Luke's Hand

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I had heard Lucas was taking a hands-off role with the story this time.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I meant 5 weeks, I was gone June 13 to July 21... it's felt like months though!

9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

So.... this is a thing they showed. The storyboard text reads: "Luke's severed hand, having fallen to the floor, crawls under its own power to the lasersword. It grips the handle and starts to shake. Notes: Lasersword should be off."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    What I wouldn't give for that to have made it into the SE.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  11. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I'm calling BS. Where was that shown? I heard there wouldn't be any SWE7 stuff at Comic-Con. Also, "lasersword"? There is no way the storyboards for a Star Wars film wouldn't use lightsaber.

12. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Wow, that still sounds so bad.

13. Darth Koo

Dec 9, 2013
    Even if this was real, we don't know how the hand and lightsaber got there in the first place. For all we know Luke could have been kill or have his metal hand cut off again in a scene.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Guys, that is from the Complete Storyboards panel. I have the book and that is the exact page from it. No need to start worrying about rumors from the Interwebs. ;)

--Adm. Nick

15. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Oh thank goodness.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    As long as they avoid the word "Sith", I'll be happy. That word is in my opinion the worst aspect of the prequels.
    Yavin was the EU equivalent of Tatooine. One thing after another was hidden on Yavin.

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Sounds like it's quite probably where the whole rumour thing sprung out of as well then.

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    BEARD!

Also, as a UKian, it's an amazing blast of nostalgia to see freakin' Lizo interview the guy. I can still remember being however old I was at the time and watching then Newsround (news programme for kids) reporter Lizo being super excited interviewing people waiting in line for the premiere of TPM.

"It's really about the new generation of characters. We're just there to lend our support and grow contractually obligated beards."

:D[face_laugh]

19. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    What, you mean the era that has made LFL a lot of money? It is silly to think that the ST will reduce the action/spectacle in favor for a more conservative approach that the OT had. The fans, whom money they want isn't some 40-50 year old who saw Star Wars in 1977, but some 10-12 year old who grew up watching the PT or TCW.

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    What with your planetary shields and whatnot.

Hopefully Fisher has been spared the contractually obligated beard.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    How cute.

Let me tell you who has money:

Us 40-50 year olds who saw ANH in 1977.

Not the 10-12 year olds. If they have money, they get it from us.

Nice try though.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah. Go away kids. This is our lawn, dammit.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Some of us made sure that our kids saw the OT first and recognized that the OT made Star Wars and is Star Wars. All other material--love it, hate it, or somewhere in between--just built on that established universe.

24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I demand to see Mark Hamill's contract.

BigAl6ft6 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  25. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

Star Wars does appeal to all ages, but the core demographic that this franchise targets are kids. It has always been like that, it was like that in 1977, 1999, and it will be like that in 2015. Yes, parents have the money.......but kids are the ones whom get them to spend the money on the merchandise(action figures, games etc.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.