main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The proper way to watch SW is of course:

First see pieces of VI, declare it to be entirely too weird and scary movie for your taste, then catch parts of the other films in mixed order, loan the cassettes from your neighbor who has them (but only I, V and VI), record IV when it is shown from TV, get II from library and finally go see III in theaters.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't remember whether I saw ANH or ROTJ first -- I have distinctly weird memories of both but aren't sure of the order. Pretty sure I didn't see ESB until after I was already reading EU, but my family insisted when we rented it that I'd definitely seen it before.

Kinda cool that I still remember the first time (unless I'm wrong about ESB) that I saw all of them though.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    My first memory was of some boring old man talking about some boring stuff while playing chess and this dumbass kid tried to block things WITH A HELMET ON!!! I mean, seriously?! Take that off thing your face, you moron. :oops:

After that, I decided this stupid old film my parents wanted to watch was some lame old thing for old people and so I wanted nothing to do with it.

I think it was several years before I tried again. :p

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I saw TESB and ROTJ quite young, on TV, but remembered little of them. I spent a lot more time reading the Illustrated Storybooks of those two films than seeing the films.

And read the ANH novel in high school before seeing the ANH movie on video.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I watch them backwards from 6 to 1. I call it Memento Order.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I thought Palpatine was this boring old guy who talked too much, and that the Imperial Fleet / Emperor's arrival at the beginning was weird and creepy. :p

I mean I was probably like... 5 or 6, but still.

Zorrixor and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  8. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I remember my dad picking up IV on VHS at Sam's Club one day and sitting me down to watch it. I was probably four or so; I know it was before Kindergarten. I vividly remember sinking into our old fluffy tan couch and watching the opening crawl. I don't remember a lot from childhood, but that I do.

Then I was delighted to find that my daughter, at just two months old or so, was similarly mesmerized when my wife brought her in and sat down while the last half of IV was on. Up until then, it was easily the longest period of time she'd sat patiently on the couch with us, and it couldn't have been a coincidence. Since then we've realized that she has a real thing for movies with a lot of action going on.

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
  10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    that's all that's important though right

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Starkeiller and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    edit: double post

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    edit: triple post (what's wrong with my computer?)

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013

Note 1: Gareth Edwards is young looking. He's 39, but he looks like a college student.

Note 2: Gary Whitta, his scripting partner for Spin Off #1, is the one who pours water on him. Apparently they're both British, though Gareth was born to Welsh parents.

Mote 3: Artoo was considerate enough to bring a towel.

Note 4: Gareth nominates Josh Trank, Simon Kinberg and Rian Johnson, all of whom are working on the upcoming films. Might we be seeing the beginning of a Star Wars film braintrust?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So that Star Wars: Commander iOS game is out. Haven't had tine to try it yet, but a news story on it noted that its story features the film characters "as well as new characters you haven't seen before from the expanded Star Wars universe."

Curious.

Game takes place during the GCW, starting on Tatooine but expanding to other planets, with the specific mention of Hoth [face_laugh]

Here's the most interesting bit: asked if canon, the devs said that the elements used in the game will be canon but what the player does isn't, of course. Does this mean any EU characters seen in the game are canon? It might.

Interview's on gamespot -- don't have the link handy but it's easily googled, as the story was posted today.

16. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    I'm playing the game now, it's basically Clash of Clans, but Star Wars-ified. Film characters aren't really "featured", Leia just shows up part of in the beginning tutorial and you get to send Han and Chewbacca into a demo battle, which takes place on another planet. And then it's right back to Tatooine. No EU appearances so far that I've noticed, but during the Beta The Outrider was used as a ship model, which has since been replaced.

17. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004

vstarvan and Abadacus like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hm ok. I've not played much of the other game, but it seems to have the film characters be a lot more centric. I lost interest since you can't play Imperials in that one (unlike Commander) but I'm still curious to make my way to the Imperial Palace level eventually.

Seeing a (maybe) canonical take on it would be really, really interesting.

19. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Ha, your first imperial mission is to go kill womp rats wwith your newly trained stormtroopers :D

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Those treasonous womp rats will soon face Imperial justice!

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Oh god, I'm suddenly reminded of Galaxies...

22. DelRiego

Mar 12, 2002
  23. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Some things of interest from Star Wars Commander:
    -Tusken Raiders believe that water is sacred and was promised to them, presumably by some diety
    -T2-B Repulsor tanks from Empire at War are back
    -The Rebels are using AATs and Hailfire Droids
    -They also use Juggernauts and AT-AP walkers
    -Saponza's ship appears to be a modified CR-20 Troop Carrier
    -I don't recognize the new rebel ship that replaced The Outrider, but I feel like I've seen it before.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  24. DelRiego

Mar 12, 2002
    Argh. Wrong image. Anyway[​IMG]

25. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    I like the Rebels using both Republic and Separatist equipment. Gives them that rag-tag feel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.