main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Rando Calarissian....no relation to the other Calarissian.

2. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

And it came back as Padme=Boba Fett before Aotc

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Boba Fett was Obi-Wan undercover. He'd never died, but escaped Vader using a stealth generator.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, I want the NJO re-done with Ghostbusters quips if only so I can have someone say to Rodan:

"This man has no dick."

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Nah he was Anakin and Vader was a clone.

6. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    If they'd swapped it then they'd be right!

Valin__Kenobi and DigitalMessiah like this.
  7. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    How was he an ass? He complained he wasn´t allowed to reach his potential. He was right, as the OT shows with Luke´s level. The Jedi weren´t acting how they were supposed to in RotS. Right too.He may not point it out very maturely, but he´s got the point.

Yoda and OB1 were old dogs, unable to learn new tricks. Even after it all collapses, they still don´t get it fully. The last part of RotS was them doing wrong what Luke did right in RotJ. He didn´t accept their way was the solution because it was wrong, and that was his triumph.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He "complained that he wasn't allowed to reach his potential"? Who was he to decide what his "potential" was in the face of those wiser, more experienced, more mature, and less self-centered than he was?

That's what made him an ass--thinking that the entire Order was supposed to kiss his, simply because of his midichlorian count.

They brought him out of a terrible situation and offered him opportunity, a chance to make a difference--and he still acted like they owed him something.

The Jedi did nothing wrong, as not allowing Anakin to get married and remain in the Order, and/or not blowing sunshine up Anakin's ass, was not wrong.

They owed him nothing, especially not the rank of Master.

I'd have a harder time answering the question "How was Anakin not an ass?" But then again, I have little tolerance for people who think the world owes them accolades just for existing.

The last part of ROTS involved Anakin agreeing to commit mass murder because his nightmares were more important than the lives of his fellow Jedi. He demonstrated himself to be a gullible, self-centered *******.

The last part of ROTJ involved Luke not being willing to join the Dark Side and destroy the galaxy just to save a person or people that he personally cared about. He succeeded where his father failed.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You might have to change your username... :p

(And I think a lot of why Anakin was so messed up was due to Palpatine, and the Jedi not being more understanding. I can't see the Anakin of Episode I being that way.)

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    True, but Vader was supposed to be a clone of Anakin -- thus making his claim of paternity over Luke true... from a certain point of view.

I wonder how these theorists felt when they saw Fett tumble into the sarlacc.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ghost : LOL, the end of ROTJ hasn't changed. :p

And I have sympathy for the character as far as spending his early childhood as a slave, being pressured (either outside pressure or that he put on himself) over that asinine prophecy, and yes, wanting recognition.

Plus I enjoy his humor when it does show up, which is more often in TCW.

What I take issue with in these arguments is the deflection of blame for Anakin's behavior on people other than Anakin.

What Anakin felt wasn't necessarily wrong. Feelings aren't right or wrong, they just are. But he was no more justified in acting on those feelings the way he did than anyone who committed such crimes in real life would be.

And regardless of how he felt about the Jedi, his behavior was still his choice and he is responsible for it. The end.

Palpatine enabled him, but Anakin always had choices, and the Jedi cannot be blamed for decisions made by a grown man in their group.

DigitalMessiah : IIRC there was much amusement over Han knocking his mother-in-law in the sarlacc.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    the dark side made him do it!

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe that's one of the symptoms of Jacen's loss of rationality - the fact that when he flowwalks back to the events of RoTS and takes a look, he concludes that Anakin was right to be upset at the Jedi.

14. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    He didn´t discuss Shmi´s death with OB1 because he couldn´t confide in him. Because he would have given him hell instead of seeing how screwed he had been at the time, and Anakin was already giving himself hell enough about it (then he went to Palpatine and, well...). You compare PT OB1 with his older self or QGJ (but not OT Yoda), and it´s easy to see the difference.

Not allowed to love (or fear, or hate) is suppression, not control. Control is being able to feel but not allow it to overcome you and dictate your actions.

And I don´t think Owen was more of a hardass than OB1, he may have been strict, but I don´t think the Lars were ever pointing Luke his every fault - I wanted to punch OB1 when he started with the saber bs in AotC, especially after we see how often Jedi are disarmed (also logical when you are a close quarters fighter and everybody else uses ranged).

Palaptine´s words also worked because likely he was the only one saying them. He gave Anakin something he needed and got from no other place (try to think of your life without your parent figures hardly ever showing affection or approval).

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

It's a bit unclear just how much the Jedi are allowed to love:

(And Anakin does say "Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is central to a Jedi's life" in AOTC.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin didn't discuss Shmi's death with Obi-Wan because he did not want to face the consequences of what he did afterwards. I'll agree with you that Anakin felt guilty but that's hardly the Jedi's fault.

I've seen a LOT of discussion about how Padme was wrong not to report Anakin to the Council herself, and I agree only to a point; I think she should have encouraged Anakin to turn himself in and take responsibility for his behavior.

And that control is what the Jedi taught. It is a misconception brought about by our westernized, romantic, "emotions are just awesome and make the world go round" society that the Jedi were not allowed to feel.

We see Obi-Wan, Yoda and Mace feeling affection, pain and yes, anger. But unlike Anakin, they didn't decide their feelings were important enough to dictate policy or turn events.

Anakin was reckless and should have been called on it. I thought jumping out of the speeder was funny but I'm not his parent figure.

What Obi-Wan did was not "calling him on his every fault," it was being the adult, and it was not being indulgent.

Which brings me to my next point.

Everyone enjoys having sunshine blown up their asses. But part of being an adult is recognizing that the people who do that are often not the ones who care about you the most or have your best interests in mind.

Indulgence is not love.

Anakin did not want to grow up or consider anyone's perspective other than his own.

(And I think we need to relate this back to Episode 7. I hope the new Order is not set up to send the message that the old Order was just wrong.)

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That would depend partly on if Lucas considered the old Order "just wrong" and if so, if Disney would choose to leave that idea in or not.

18. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    Luke did allow love to dictate his actions, which resulted in the final victory in RotJ. OB1 didn´t, and instead of trying to turn Anakin back, he tried to kill him. We know how that turned out. Feelings are not background noise to ignore and act only through reason. That was what the old Jedi did, and part of the reason they fell.

And OB1 jumped out of the window of a skyscraper to grab a robot the size of a ball. Not reckless at all. But hey, he has a beard and is older and was lucky his saber didn´t fall, so it´s OK.

People who care for you the most don´t necessarily do what´s best for you either, just what they think it is, without regard for how it affects you. Indulgence at the right time can be the best call, because the alternative can be more damaging to the person affected. But realizing that needs to consider the other´s POV, something the Jedi never did.

The old Jedi Order WAS just wrong. That´s why they fell. Not because Palpatine was stronger, but because he could exploit flaws that shouldn´t have been there. Anakin was the Force shouting at them to change, they didn´t, and Sidious won. And even if Anakin had been up to the old Order´s standards, Palps would still have won.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, Luke acted through love.

Not attachment, which is selfish, and the opposite of love.

And Obi-Wan was supposed to do what exactly? Let Anakin kill him?

So just to clarify--you believe that people should allow their feelings to dictate their behavior? That making decisions based on rational thought and logic rather than emotion is somehow bad?

The Jedi were correct to act using reason. There are multiple examples in our world of how decision-making based on emotions has had disastrous consequences. See: pretty much every war that has ever been fought, all started because someone or a few someone got angry and acted on it.

OK, I don't know if you've got some personal vendetta against an authority figure in your life and it's none of my business, but you're not even trying here.

Yeah, see what I just said.

Parents/guardians acting on what's best for you in the long run is a hell of a lot more important than how you feel about that right now.

A lot of children don't understand that, hence the tantrums, but Anakin was no longer a child.

As I just said...the long-term shaping of a person takes precedent over immediate hurt feelings and disappointment.

The overall good of society also takes greater precedent over the hurt feelings and disappointment of one person.

Using your argument...parents should allow their kids to eat candy whenever they want, buy them whatever they want and never make them go to bed. Because feelings are important and they don't want to eat vegetables, learn to live within a budget or put away their video games and go to bed.

I actually agree with your last statement. Palpatine would have eliminated the Jedi without Anakin's help.

But Anakin was shouting at the Jedi to spoil Anakin rotten, nothing more.

And I shake my head at the idea that they were obligated to do so, just as I would shake my head at a murderer in our world who claims he became a murderer because his parents made him eat his spinach and would not buy him a new Playstation.

We can't blame the parents in that situation either.

I expect ST Luke to teach his initiates that sacrifice to the greater good is more important than personal feelings. And that acting on anger is hate...which is of the Dark Side.

Matt Skywalker likes this.
  20. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    Well, OB1 was the one who left clear he was going to stop Anakin anyway, Anakin would have let him go. He could have worked from there, instead he lit his lightsaber. Because he put reason before love.

And I think wars are mostly because somebody has something the one who starts the war wants, not because they are pissed off.

Your point about parents would have more merit if the Jedi had ever been shown allowing Anakin anything, instead of enforcing their traditions every step of the way. I guess a child should never get sweets, go late to bed or watch much TV then. I think positive reinfocement works better than negative if there´s a choice. My point is, in AotC we hardly see any warmth from OB1 to Anakin, no the way older OB1 is towards Luke or QGJ with both Anakin & OB1. That would have gone a long way towards reducing Palpatine´s influence over Anakin. A nice word from time to time is not spoiling someone rotten, is showing you care. Reasoning your points instead of pulling rank is treating somebody like an adult, but that´s hard when the point is "because I/the Code say so".

21. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't think it is unbelievable for Anakin to choose his wife and unborn child over the Jedi, and I don't think it's unreasonable to consider his premonitions accurate considering last time he dawdled to act on them his mother died in his arms.

I mean that makes sense to me.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Omg. The entire prequel trilogy was Lucas commentary on his own fall from grace as a visionary filmmaker once he was surrounded by yes men!!! :eek:

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Jedi weren't self-centered and looking out for themselves? I largely agree with the general sentiments a_g is posting about learning self-control and the dangers of getting over-emotional but...

I. The OJO was corrupt as hell.

II. They were also stupid. They knew Anakin was taken at a much older age. They knew from the start that he's subject to emotions. Yet they try the same pablum they use on everybody else: conceal, don't feel. But the problem was that Anakin DID feel, he already had an emotional issue. Instead of trying to deal with it, the Jedi pretended it didn't exist.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Palpatine represents Rick McCallum?

Edit: oh boy this should be exciting

WMIRTUTSF and Ulicus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.