main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And just like in the cantina, there's dialogue beforehand mirroring the "I have the death sentence on twelve systems" line.

Not all of it. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    Maybe he playing a Jacen like character which means he still playing the bad guy. He just goes bad in the end.

Ghost likes this.
  3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    [​IMG]

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Fixed. :p

Kablob likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Khan spent most of his screentime of Into Darkness dressed in a Starfleet uniform. I kinda dig the notion of a Rebel pilot - nope, I'm really a freakin' Sith Lord! ah-HAH!

Speaking of Adam Driver quotes, from from him about a month ago: "But in the midst of all those things, what has made those movies last so long is that they’re all grounded, which is something that is not so far off from every movie with huge universal themes of siblings and parents and betrayal and trust. "

I think it's interesting that he cites family and trust as themes that stick out to him.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    oh god they're really going to do it, aren't they?

[​IMG]

werpudel, Grey1, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Maybe, but at least there's no Jacen to ruin this time!

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    no I mean the idea is a bad idea on its own without the associated shipwreck

I don't want the next generation to turn to the dark side

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, that's definitely Christie but she's clearly not in costume yet. Here's another shot from later in the day.

[​IMG]

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    At this point, I don't even think the Legends business is Disney's doing, but instead the newfangled Story Group's decision, and a pretty arbitrary decision at that. I truly believe that, with Lucas himself as the role model, LFL doesn't feel obligated to keep anything from the EU, and are instead completely committed to the films at any and all cost, to the point the EU is more of a roadblock to their plans than anything else. The Legends business is almost certainly a preliminary action to ensure that the ST doesn't alienate any fans expecting the ST to follow anything from the EU. Which is just downright heart breaking considering no one even expected any more films for the foreseeable future, until the ST was announced in conjunction with the Disney acquisition of LFL.

DelRiego and Abadacus like this.
  11. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I wouldn't be so sure.
    I've had friends who think RotS takes place shortly after AotC.

12. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Apparently A New Dawn is having a slow debut and ranked 127 out of 150 in the USA Today best sellers, quite far from the old EU book which ranked between top 20s in The New York Times best sellers.

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Interesting. It might be the very... "EU" nature of the story though maybe, due to the lack of established characters, the cartoony cover, etc.

Tarkin probably will do better I expect, since it's got the direct film tie-in appeal.

BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I think it's entirely plausible that one target audience - Disney Channel TV show watching kids - doesn't have that kind of money to throw at a hardcover book; and since the series hasn't debuted yet, there might not be all that much of an audience yet. And what's more, I could imagine a somewhat large portion of the "quiet" EU readers we never meet on here has given up because of the Legends business. We non-first-day-buyers have been increasing along the last few series of hardcover books; the Disney reboot isn't a small thing compared to what drove others away from devouring the books.

Valin__Kenobi and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am never a first day buyer or adopter of anything, so even if I cared this new canon osik, I would be no help on that front. If it wasn't for that Legends banner, I wouldn't even be planning on buying Kenobi in hardcover.

16. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I think it´s all quite simple. People used to go and buy the new chapter of an ongoing story. If the new novels are just complementary stories that give you a background story of an occasional adventure that does not have any influence in the overall galaxy´story, as the old EU did, the incentive to buy the book is quite smaller.

Revanfan1, Starkeiller and Abadacus like this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Exactly what I was thinking. I expect Lords of the Sith to sell the best of the novels that have been announced so far.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  19. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    *arches eyebrow*

Mace Windu...? Are they getting this stuff from Latino Review?

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, even better, The Daily Mirror!

From the link:

21. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Pffff, cameos.

Do journalists not understand the meaning of the words "set visit?"

A cameo in a movie takes the same amount of setup time as being an extra, and that **** takes hours on a movie like this. People want to come see the set, but the amount of millionaires lining up to get into wardrobe and makeup is going to be considerably less.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

I think it has a lot less to do with the EU canon-nuking than the appeal of the priecy hardcover for a cartoon series that hasn't even aired yet. See how Tarkin and Heir to the Jedi (and maybe Lords of the Sith) play out to get a fair comparison.

23. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I've always thought it would make sense for a character in the ST to be looking over what remnants of the Jedi Archives had been recovered from the Emperor's Vaults.
    It would be neat for old Luke to have a moment watching a holo of young Obi-Wan, or others. I could see MacDiarmid, MacGregor, or Jackson making cameos in this capacity.
    A few seconds of screentime and some subtle acting from Hamill could forge a great link between eras, and a few minutes of a recorded conversation could provide a major plot point.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm definitely voting for some PT character hologram cameo action as opposed to PT character Force Ghost cameo action. Hologram cameos are a bit more tragic, Force Ghost cameos would come off more like "Hey! Yeah, we're dead but it's cool!"

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Samuel J prefers "ghost hologram" personally. Is it a ghost? Is it a hologram? Is it a ghost eternally trapped in a hologram? Would the Story Group figure it out?

Personally I agree the ghost thing would deter from the tragedy of ROTS, but if it were some sort of smart-talking computer projection (maybe Luke is learning from a holocron or something), that could be amusing. "Who the **** taught you to hold a lightsaber like that? Master Yoda? You hold a lightsaber like that you're gonna get your ass handed to you by a ****ing Gungan."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.