main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, they already did it to Brian Blessed, so...

2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Talking Sheev just now, I realized one thing: isn't it funny that Luceno gets a Lucasian hint for Palpatine's first name this time around which obviously hadn't been offered when he wrote the way more Sidious-centric Darth Plagueis novel? Which, as we know, has been in the writing stage twice - relatively shortly after ROTS, and around the time of the Maul revival/3D saga revival? Suggesting for a moment that this is not due to miscommunication or closed vaults or something, why would Lucas suddenly have an idea about the first name of the character (and if you go for the Shiva analogy, a surprisingly deep one)? Now that he's spent time on developing concept for stories after Episode 6? [face_thinking]

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If Plagueis was in it, I admittedly wouldn't be entirely shocked if they threw out the Muun thing, though if they did keep that, I expect they'd avoid using CGI and go with some form of latex, prosthetics, etc, so that the actor's real face was the main focus.

And heck, who knows what condition he'd look after his "death" -- if his spirit still even inhabited his original body.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    ...And isn't it funny that all we know about the original plot of the sequel trilogy (before it was slapped onto Ep. VI) is that Luke goes after Palpatine?

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Wasn't there also that story once that Lucas had originally thought of Luke putting on Vader's helmet, going "Now I am Vader" or something like that, and saying he was going to go and kill the fleet? (Rebel fleet, Imperial fleet? I forget how it went...)

Honestly, Lucas had some really weird ideas. :p

Although I suppose if he'd stuck with the Revenge of the Jedi title, maybe he wanted Luke to go hunting down and wiping out the last of the Empire... though maybe it's the EU-depiction of Luke that makes that feel weird more than the films themselves. (Still, old ideas like that do make me wonder what the heck Lucas could actually have ended up intending to do for the ST...)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  6. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I'd never heard of the Vader helmet one before. But Luke going after Palpatine is certainly credible.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    He was joking. Though Kasdan actually seemed to want to run with it, which is not exactly reassuring for EVII.

8. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    So this GIF might actually be from the teaser trailer, according to Making Star Wars.
    [​IMG]

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Whether it's real or not, it's pretty kriffing sweet. :cool:

Cynical_Ben and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Crossjon

Crossjon Jedi Padawan

Jul 15, 2014
    Peter Sciretta@slashfilm 3h3 hours ago
    We will see @starwars #TheForceAwakens trailer this week.

For those of you that don't know, slashfilm is a pretty good source, i'd say 70%+ chance we'll have a teaser this week.

Oh, and as soon as I read this the Throne Room Theme (from ANH) started playing on my shuffled music list, which is clear proof that this is accurate. :p

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    One fairly solid thing we've known for years about the ST was "Luke searches for his sister, the 'other' aka Not Leia" but I'm fairly certain that Lucas for at least the plot of Episode 7 in his ST treatment took that and changed it to "new _____ characters search for Luke".

12. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    The Falcon's guns look like they're about as accurate there are they were in Rogue Squadron. :p

Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    If that GIF is really part of the teaser, I love it. I like that the Falcon has a different dish. Damn you Lando! :p

--Adm. Nick

GrandAdmiralJello and Vthuil like this.
  14. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I didn't catch the different dish at first. That's a rather clever nod to ROTJ.

15. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Iiiiiiinteresting. If it's real, where did it come from? Its not like they'd just have it sitting online somewhere. And if it isn't, where did it come from? It looks pretty professional for a mockup.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It does look very professional... it even has the new red markings on the front. That's quite a detail for a fake.

17. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    So's the rectangular sensor dish replacing the OT round one.

18. Crossjon

Crossjon Jedi Padawan

Jul 15, 2014
    It's almost certainly a fake, doesn't look like a blockbuster movie level of CGI to me. The model is really plain, almost no detail (look at the cockpit for example, no lights). The lens flare is a dead giveaway as well, I doubt even JJ Abrams would put a lens flare there. I'd guess someone with too much time on their hands found an existing model of the Falcon, added the new dish, animated it, and added the lens flare as a joke to get attention. If they really had access to the trailer why would they post something that's 1) easy to fake and 2) a scene that several sources are reporting will be in the trailer? Why not pick a scene with some actors in it that hasn't been reported? You'd get a lot more attention that way.

19. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Yep, because the dish got knocked off in the Death Star during the Battle of Endor. Han apparently got a different model to replace it. Nice touch.

Revanfan1 and darklordoftech like this.
  20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    There are a number of things that popped up in Tarkin that I felt like might be clues, if not for the ST, then at least for other upcoming projects. The Imperial Palace for example, or the sudden emphasis on a completely-new criminal empire (the Crymorah), which really felt like it was something that was being put in as a nod to it appearing in Rebels or elsewhere. Not so much that Luceno knows anything about them, but I could imagine someone at Lucasfilm telling him "here are some details for the new canon."

Grey1 and my kind of scum like this.
  21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    The Falcon in that gif is so low quality that it's obviously a fake. Come on, guys.

At the very least the incredibly garish use of lens flare should have given it away. The only way this is a real leak is if J.J. is messing with us.

22. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

Here's it stretched out. That doesn't even look like "proper" lens flare at this size, it looks like a messy reflection, like someone's smudged the lens. Also, the Falcon's guns don't fire in that order, do they?

The sensor dish is movie accurate, though, see the dish in this picture:

[​IMG]

It is a pretty good fake if it's not real, someone put a decent amount of effort into having three motions in one three-second shot (the Falcon, the flare and the starfield backdrop) and the model doesn't look that crude.

23. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014

Do you guys think that CGI work is completed in moments and the product goes from nothing to a movie-ready result instantaneously?

If you've seen much in-progress CGI work, it looks very much like that gif, and that would be toward the end of the line with just some final steps to be undertaken. It's not at all surprising that a leaked gif is not a finished product, for obvious reasons.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They changed the Falcon's design? SACRILEGE!

[​IMG]

OK, so a new dish is needed - so Solo buys a bog standard block from Del Boy Galactic Independent Traders? Yeah, that'll fly!

Zorrixor and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it's the other way round - the original dish Fell Off The Back Of A Freighter (as opposed to getting knocked off by Lando, which happens later :D ) - but now Han's a galactic hero, he can afford a top of the line one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.