main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

But what do you mean by "everything"?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sorry, cannae resist:

[​IMG]

EVERY-THING!

Starkeiller and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    It at least dates back to the Episode I Incredible Cross-Sections, which states that red trim = diplomat and full red = directly from Coruscant, and I think it was decided at the filmmaking level but I don't know where to easily check. The scheme could have originated with the concept team without Lucas specifically involved, putting it above EU but below "pure" Lucas canon.

But then ROTS used red to simply designate Republic vessels including military ones. That could mean it was EU or the concept team's idea, and Lucas felt free to ignore it. Or he knew about it but just changed his own previous G-canon in favor of whatever he wanted to do at the time (again). Or it could even be an intentional IU change: before the Clone Wars the Republic didn't have a fleet so the "diplomatic red" was broadened to simply mean "any Republic ship."

[​IMG]

AdmiralNick22 and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Now I'm 100% convinced that Abrams came up with a rectangle. And the paintjob on the front, that's actually red matter armor. Makes the ship go faster.

...wellllll... red matter armor could probably allow a small ship to ram star destroyers and come out on the other side intact... or even fly into a sun... [face_thinking][/quote]

Red matter? Well, there were Lost and Alias references in Cloverfield, and Cloverfield references in Star Trek, so it makes sense that he'll put Star Trek references in Star Wars...

Actually, on a more serious level of speculation - the Slusho drink has so far been in Alias, Cloverfield, Super 8, and Star Trek. Any bets Oscar Isaacs orders one when he goes to find Han in the cantina?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I hope not. All the Slusho stuff has been on Earth, the GFFA doesnt need any Slusho IMO

6. Crossjon

Crossjon Jedi Padawan

Jul 15, 2014
  7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
  8. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Gah, there's one in Chicago but I'm working that day. Crapbaskets.

EDIT: okay, so they are showing the trailer in front of every movie over this weekend at these theaters. Not just Hunger Games or Interstellar, ALL of them. I might be able to see it after all.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well. Looks like I'm going to the movies on Friday.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Isn't there an Internet for this stuff now?

cdgodin, spicer, Grey1 and 2 others like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was thinking of saying "that is, if the trailer doesn't leak before that" once I realized it's not 1999 anymore. But then I figured everybody else realizes that now too.

But I've got movies I've been meaning to see anyway, so it's a convenient excuse that I'll actually have some of those theaters available.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. Crossjon

Crossjon Jedi Padawan

Jul 15, 2014
    Seems Regal jumped the gun, the announcement has been replaced with this:

[​IMG]

I'd guess some PR interns might die as well. :p

13. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    There's a Regal less than ten minutes from me, and they tend to participate in the "special" stuff like Doctor Who and TNG screenings, so I'd bet they'll have this as well.

EDIT: Found the list elsewhere. Just nine theaters, seriously? Oh well. I just have to resist the crummy camera-phone versions until the official one is online, probably Monday.

14. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    So, SlashFilm is high on themselves for calling the trailer release, and decided to posit theories on the first spin-off film.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/rumored-star-wars-spin-off-plot/
    Massive Salt Pinches needed.

Basically, it's an Ocean's 11/Suicide Squad style heist film with a group of (unspecified) bounty hunters who are charged with, wait for it, stealing the Death Star plans. No mention of Boba Fett being involved in any way. The Falcon is involved somehow, they say, but Han Solo is not, which makes no sense at all. Though, it's not like the rumor itself isn't particularly lol worthy. I can see it being done, though, especially if they introduce some of the characters in the later seasons of Rebels and tie it all together. Not saying I like it, but [face_shrug]

The one rumor that I do like and makes sense in all of it is that the spin-off's star is actually introduced to us in The Force Awakens, namely, Max Von Sydow's character. Which would explain why absolutely nothing about the spin-off has been officially announced and there's been no overt casting the way TFA had it. The plot and characters of the spin-off are both a TFA spoiler of some description. It also means Bob Iger's offhand comment on the spin-offs being "origin films" a few months back makes more sense.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Over in the spin-off forum I said the rumor only makes sense if it is a failed attempt to steal the DS plans. Say it takes place a few years before ANH and Lando has the falcon, or maybe it is even with a previous owner.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It'll be just handy that two of those nine theaters will be in range!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
  18. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

What would not make sense to me is if they use the OT bounty hunters. IF it's a failed attempt, they wouldn't be in Vader's best side for TESB; if the attempt is successful, well it means the Empire doesn't really have to know who did it. Still, as coo as they are in the EU, they seem not really trustworthy, not talking about being shady but being competent.

Here's hoping they deal with the super bounty hunters from TCW, like Cad Bane and Embo, yeah, very doubtful; but I feel Boba Fett can't live up to his rep if they are/were still around.

19. Crossjon

Crossjon Jedi Padawan

Jul 15, 2014
    Is there an AMC near you? Looks like they might be having the trailer too:

AMC Theatres@AMCTheatres 1m1 minute ago
    Yes, we've heard the @StarWars trailer news too. We'll have an update in the not too distant future.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Cinemark too
    Cinemark Theatres@Cinemark 3m3 minutes ago
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing." #TheForceAwakens trailer is coming to select Cinemark theatres. Details soon!

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  20. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    *88 seconds

any theories? length of the trailer?

EDIT: DUH, of course. Hadn't seen the tiny part

move along

21. Silly_Dan

Silly_Dan Jedi Master star 1

Aug 17, 2005
  22. Silly_Dan

Silly_Dan Jedi Master star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    Oh, here's the list for the US and Canada: http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-tease-theater-list

Contrary to what I just said, Cineplex is the only chain in Canada showing it...in two theatres.

23. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    My prediction: too much black screen, too much music/sound effect stuff, too much fan OMG-level reaction. But hey, what do I know.

Death Star Plans? I'm sold. I always wanted to know how that came about!

Also, von Sydow's character... Boba Fett? Played by another actor at a younger age in the spin-off, obviously? And going along with that old rumour of a Fett spin-off starting with a no-name taking over Fett's identity? :p

24. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
  25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah, I saw the Montross thing on io9 also, and immediately thought, "Is there something I missed an announcement about?" I mean, I can buy that they'd reuse the name Montross given how much they're mining other early ANH concepts, but the name Montross being associated with a bounty hunter is exclusively from Open Seasons/Bounty Hunter, isn't it?

As for the teaser, if it's anything as immediately gripping as the teaser for Abrams' first Trek movie (which was likewise released over a year prior to the movie, and was even under 88 seconds) I'll be hugely satisfied. Honestly that's one of my favorite trailers of all time, teaser or not.

And in other news, Oscar Isaac just got cast as Apocalypse in the next X-Men movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.