main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The greatest sin Abrams Trek appears to have committed is to have made Trek popular! How dare he!

Then again over the last 3 years I've enjoyed all manner of movies that the Internet has decreed to be Satanic Spawn (tm). Star Trek, Star Trek: Into Darkness, Iron Man 3, Thor 2 - all a lot of fun but also deemed evil incarnate by the net. I'm sort of expecting Avengers 2 to be deemed CRAAAAPP by said net too.

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've said this before, but I actually, sincerely hope the ST leaves fans totally divided, because I'm kind of tired of the nerdsphere telling me whether I can or can't like a movie.

Though Iron Man 3 being deemed "bad" is news to me. I thought it was controversial, with some people hating it and some people loving it.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think you missed my point. Abrams not only made highly grossing movies, he made very popular ones as well! You could say he resurrected the franchise since Trek now has a future.

Jedi Ben

I enjoyed all three hobbit movies and we know what the internet says about them. ;)

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm currently stock-piling the Hobbit movies, just need the 3rd EE Blu-Ray to complete the set!

5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    So was KOTOR. It sold like hotcakes and people praise it to this day.

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Did he really, though? The first movie was popular, true. The second one underperformed heavily and was critically, if not trashed, far lower than the first one and seems to mainly be popular among Benedict Cumberbatch fans. And the popularity of the first movie hasn't really translated to increased popularity of any other area of the franchise (the other movies, the shows/calls for a new show, book/comic sales, the video game was absolute garbage and Abrams himself sold it down the river, etc.)

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, compare the state of the franchise now to where it was after Enterprise and Nemesis both left screens and there was no Star Trek. I honestly don't follow Trek that much, so I couldn't tell you how the two time periods compare/contrast, but considering how bad the last two iterations of the franchise were, the first JJ movie had a bit of Phantom Menace effect to it; so long as it didn't vomit all over the franchise's past, people would like it. ST:ID is Attack of the Clones, where the veneer has worn off and people are just looking for a good movie (which, even though I liked it, I will admit that ID was not good).

And unfortunately for Trekkies, all I've heard about Trek 3 sound like the studio is continuing to be terrible. They apparently want the movie to emulate Guardians of the Galaxy as much as possible, like giving Simon Pegg's little sidekick, who doesn't even talk in the first two films, a larger role to emulate Rocket Racoon. As much as some people despair at what Episode VII looks like thus far, at least it's not trying to fit that particular square peg into a round hole.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm not a Trekkie, but my understanding of how to gauge the health of the franchise is this:

Is there a television show currently airing? As long as the answer to that question is "no", Star Trek is in bad shape.

9. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Yeah, a lot of people conflate their own misgivings as Trek fans with the idea that something is a critical failure. Trek '09 is absolutely not a bad movie in the realm of summer blockbusters. It's got a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. Into Darkness has 87%---only 3% less than Wrath of Khan.

So people can complain all they want, but it gets ridiculous the moment people say, "WHY WOULD ANYONE HIRE JJ ABRAMS?!? HE JUST GOES IN AND RUIN MOVIES, EVERYBODY KNOWS IT!!!" because, no, no they don't. You might have a problem with him, but the unfortunate reality for you is that he's certainly not ruining franchises critically or financially. The issue is, people are no longer watching Star Trek as quaint enlightened sci-fi as a lens into the human experience, because they can't. Star Trek blew its shot at that by breaking their "no more than two bad movies in a row" cycle----and let's be honest, Nemesis didn't do a whole lot more on the "quaint existentialism" front than Trek '09 did. I'd love for Star Trek to be like the Bond franchise where it has a devoted family shepherding it through the valley of the shadow of death and all that, but that just didn't happen... so reboot Trek is just what it is now, and by and large, people like it.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    For me as a Trek fan, the downward spiral started with Voyager, went to warp 8 with Enterprise, I loved Insurrection but despised Enterprise and Nemesis. Couldn't care less about Abrahms Treks, they don't interest me. I can empathise with those concerned due to Trek about Wars, though. JJ isn't the only factor why the new Treks are taking a different tone but he is one. Sometimes you shouldn't mess with a formula that works just to be 'edgy' Trek isn't about 'action'.

Trek isn't dead. The fans still care and I don't care about numbers. It may not be very active presence wise right now but I think some here are being dismissive but eh. Whatever. I am happy with the original films, TNG and DS9. :)

11. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    And in the eyes of the studio, that's why it was dead.

You're talking about ideals...I'm talking about why studios make decisions.

But you know who does care about numbers? The people responsible for making it. It doesn't take me or anybody else being dismissive... Just Paramount.

Personally, I enjoyed both new Trek films and would rather have seen them than not. I like the timeline hacks, I think it's an interesting study in franchise usage. Does somebody who loves it more than me get to say, "No, it's more important that I have my version of it"? Of course not.

So in the end, the folks disappointed in those films eventually have to realize: the sea-change of Star Trek says more about the world we live in and the nature of capitalism than it does JJ Abrams or Paramount.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Some of the posts here read like "nerds don't like Abrams Trek because it's popular."

Really guys? That's what we're going with? I don't even think the reboot is terrible (unlike STID, which I thought had the creativity of an uninspired fanfic) but this is so silly.

The argument started because somebody said new Trek was like Star Wars and Abrams wasn't as into Trek as Wars. Except new Trek is neither like Trek or Wars really. It's a new thing, with the trappings of Trek but a different sensibility.

Some people don't like it. A lot of people do, hence the sudden popularity of the franchise.

But that doesn't tell us anything about how he's going to handle Star Wars, does it?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    YouTube comments or forum posts are no proof a movie flopped.
    Into Darkness didn't underperform. It outgrossed 2009. Please check your facts before making such claims.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

It underperformed in the sense that the studio was expecting it to do a little better than it did. But it wasn't a failure* by any means, I'll grant you that.

*(I mean, other than creatively. I didn't like it, or the first one.)

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You'd be surprised. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen the claim online that it'll be:
    1. A remake
    2. Involve time travel
    3. Have lens flare
    Of those the last may actually happen, but the others? I don't think so. I think there will be some kind of creative trick used but it won't be the one used on Trek. Probably be obvious in hindsight but not before.

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Do you have proof for that?

And even if the studio had higher hopes, it doesn't mean that Into Darkness heavily underperformed. It performed better compared to 2009.

17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    As a Trekkie who loves ALL the original shows and movies (Yeah that's right I like Enterprise and Nemesis too) I thought the new Trek films were a wonderful breath of fresh air. Plus I'm a sucker for stories involving time travel, and it was used in a way to keep the Prime universe intact which made me very happy (now if CBS would make a new show already in the now Romulus-less universe). I do think the films were basically Star Trek done in a Star Wars style though and hope eventually that Trek returns to content or shows more like TNG/DS9, but I have alot of faith in Abrams.

Praenomen Cognomen likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    At some point the books will have to deal with that plot point, that's likely to be your best bet.

19. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    I've been starting to pick those up! I've heard good things.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Want some recommendations TJ?

21. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    Why not? Have no clue when I'll get to them, but I'm the look out! Old and new. After spending so much time reading Star Wars, it was only a matter of time before Trek came up to bite me. Stargate, Doctor Who, and X-Files have been making me feel funny as well. Eventually I'll be reading more tie-in sci-fi and fantasy more than original stuff!

22. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

I'm certainly not saying that... I'm saying a lot of nerds are citing perfectly valid nerd reasons the Trek reboot failed as if they're criticisms made by the wider audience... which they aren't, because the wider audience didn't have a whole lot of criticisms.

Nobody has to like anything; a movie can be a good movie without fitting the franchise, and fans of the franchise can certainly be upset about that in spite of it being a good movie, but the that doesn't change the good performance and critical consensus. The latter things, plus his public fandom, are what got JJ the job... lest we forget that the prequels were a massive critical failure pretty much on-par with later pre-reboot Star Trek.

I definitely get that Star Trek---which previously had a "type," moreso than Star Wars for sure---has sort of been salvaged and handed over to a less intimate audience. On one hand, it sucks... but on the other hand, is it really worse than nothing at all? Eh. That seems dramatic.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The DSN Relaunch was great, but the wheels came off in a major way that hasn't yet been fixed.

The Lost Era novels are great, as is anything with Keith De Candido's name on it, but not sure how available they are in paperback, fairly certain they're available digitally.

Digital is your best bet for the epic that is Vanguard.

For the main era - post TNG/DSn/VOY - start with Destiny then Typhon Pact then The Fall. The last is very good but has some weaker books made up by stronger ones.

Top current authors for me are: David Mack, David R George III, Una McCormack.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Prae Cog -- I didn't mean your posts. I mostly agree, especially with the last post: it's definitely different from old Trek but much more accessible.

My disagreement with you is over STID, but we're not discussing that. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Praenomen Cognomen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.