main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Lucas, I am disappoint.

I mean, of all people.

Filoni.

[face_plain]

Zeta1127, Zorrixor and Esg like this.
  2. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Above post
    > Lucas giving Filoni the keys?

Vas?

3. elcourt

elcourt Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2012
    I'm looking at it this way. The world supposedly is ending this month so I won't have to endure what horrors would await with this. :)

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Why, it's almost as if Dave Filoni actually understands continuity and George has been the real troublemaker all this time. But that couldn't be right, could it? o_O

5. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Yessness!!!!:D Thank you so much! [:D] You're probably right, his concept of what would happen included some clear ideas but much of what we'd consider important was most likely a blur :p But this is such a cool quote as it shows that he's not been straight against Luke marrying. *dances a little dance*

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The continuity panel at Celebration pretty much established that's exactly the case.

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Of course not. They're both to blame.

Zeta1127 and Esg like this.
  8. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Regardless of all the panic here, I feel rather optimistic about the fact that the first major EU announcement since D-Day is that Legacy is continuing.
    Of course it could mean nothing. It could be DH trying to milk the last out of its potentially-short-lived franchise by giving fans what they want, or it might be their own attempt to bring the current EU to a satisfying conclusion. But... I like to take it as a message saying, Kids: It's Not Over Yet.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If what Filoni said at the C6 was true, it'd mean Filoni did the best he could. They apparently actively tried to get the show to follow continuity when they could, and would warn Lucas when something he did would have serious consequences but he wouldn't be dissuaded.

Sinrebirth and CooperTFN like this.
  10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Which is why I have always argued that once the show is ended, a timeline will be stitched together that, though different from what we formerly had, will ultimately patch things up in a way that is 'mostly' fine. TCW isn't the biggest problem.

The ST could be a much more serious issue, but that's only if they choose to flagrantly ignore what's come before. With Lucas only being responsible for the general story, and if the ST itself takes place in 50ABY or later (but no later than 70 ABY), they have enough room to pretty much write almost 'anything' into existence to fill the gap between it and legacy.

We shall see. It could all be a moot point and we could soon discover that nothing post RoTJ happens, but that no longer seems the most likely outcome given the few remaining hints about the future we have. In a sense, I will be shocked if that is the case, but then again, they need only use 1-2 novels to establish the differences between current EU and the ST era, while also writing characters out so they don't appear in the films, but still exist somewhere. If future books clear the way for the ST appropriately enough, the ST would need to give 1-2 throaway lines or background cameos to old material at best while still having near total freedom to do its own thing. An old Luke could still fall in love, so long as they don't say this is his 'first' love. Han and Leia's children need no be seen at all, (though if they write new kids into the story, we're in trouble, which seems a more likely issue), since they could be off living elsewhere. I'm sure there will be 'a' imperial remnant of some kind in the ST, and it can be written any way one wants if you give enough time to write a story that justifies the change (then later changed back into the Fel Dynasty if Legacy somehow still happens). Political factions come and go.

Still, it'd be nice to get some kind of official statement on everything, especially if DH is continuing legacy era material.

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Always two there are, a Master and an Apprentice...

Zeta1127, RC-1991, Ulicus and 2 others like this.
  12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I thought we'd known about this for a while? One of the earliest quotes we have from Filoni in the TCW era -- back when Season One was airing, or maybe a little bit before -- is his talking about not wanting to contradict things and Lucas laughing it off with a "You take this stuff too seriously, Dave".

13. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Sadly, I think there's a very, very good chance that this is what will happen.

14. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    That is not good.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I won't speak for anybody else, but I was certainly surprised. I suspect a large part of that was how I'd always see everyone blaming Filoni for continuity issues, and I'd assumed people were casting blame for a reason. :p

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ascribing logic to Star Wars fans is a deadly mistake.

TrakNar and Ulicus like this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Interesting news: Netflix just won the streaming rights to Disney films, but the current license, owned by Starz, doesn't expire until 2016. Meaning that Episode VII won't be on Netflix, but VIII and IX will.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh please, like anybody here isn't going to be buying the boxed bluray or DVD sets :p

DarthBoba likes this.
  19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    It is, however, a truth universally acknowledged that Star Wars fans will not do as instructed in the Loyal Imperial's avatar.

20. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    One thing I realized today, that I didn't really have the time/inclination to check to see if anyone else mentioned, is that a ST all but guarantees the apparent post-RotJ games ban will finally be lifted. This may or may not be the place to discuss it, but this is the only real board here I frequent, so there's that.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Won't it be Green-ray by then?

22. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Not if if falls to the dark side.

23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    With the flood of euphoria over the new Legacy series, I've just realised Dark Horse have indirectly upped the stakes in terms of what Disney now need to deliver for us denizens of Lit to consider it a success in comparison. :p

[​IMG]

fistofan1 likes this.
  24. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Well, competition is a good thing. Hopefully those involved in making the ST agree.

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And being movie tie-ins, it also guarantees that the new post-RotJ games will suck. :p

Zorrixor and Bib Fartuna like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.