main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    It seems like they doing more and more tv shows of Star Wars. I just hope they don't mess up the aging process as badly as they did with Ahsoka Tano. (I will give Episode 7 more of a pass because its real life and people age how they age, but cartoons are a bit different.)
    [​IMG] Teenage Ahsoka

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Older Ahsoka in TCW

[​IMG] New Older Ahsoka in Rebels.

Notice how different the Rebels version of Ahsoka is then either of the TCW Ahsoka versions. I understand that characters get older but at least they should be recognizable enough to tell who they are. The new version of Ahsoka looks like another torguta. The facial coloring and coloring of the head tails are all wrong. The head tails are also too short and too curved for an adult torguta.

2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Different art styles. Bail Organa looks nothing like he did in TCW, either, and neither does Tarkin for that matter.

Besides, the one from Mortis is obviously older than she is in Rebels, just going by length of head-tails alone. Even Shaak Ti doesn't have head-tails as long as the TCW future!Ahsoka did. Heck, the TCW future!Ahsoka doesn't look anything like she did as a teenager in the same show, it certainly looks less like her than the Rebels version does.

BigAl6ft6 and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah. I just figured that their head-tails grow continuously longer as they age; at least, the females. The males seem to develop theirs like an elk's antlers in TCW.

[​IMG]

TOR and other depictions of males have their head-tails and horns look identical to females', though. And TCW had some females with elk-like horns, too.

[​IMG]

4. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010

If it helps, Anakin looks totally different in Rebels too. :p

Ender Sai, cthugha, werpudel and 3 others like this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think it's great she looks different, it's realistic. However, do I like the vibe of it, no.

Wow, never ceases to amaze me how condescending some are here regarding some actually liking both Trek and Wars. Personally, IV is my fave film, then IX but it's NOT because it's 'funny' or 'light' such traits are almost universally a fail for me because like Zeta I am bored stiff by what the 'average audience' wants or at least what studios *assume* they want. I like them for the moral messages and depth. SW is sadly much more flash and action often with little substance.

JediMatteus likes this.
  6. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    she's got a detachable robot arm!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Could you provide an example of this? I couldn't find it in this thread.

8. Lady Warp Spasm

Lady Warp Spasm Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 19, 2015

Captain America The Winter Soldier felt like a slightly less convoluted version of 3 days of the Condor (which the Russo brothers admitted was a big influence) and rereading the 3 days plot I can see what they pulled and tweaked from it (within the the two comic storylines used.)

9. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

So, wait... it's bad to be condescending, or... isn't it?

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I do think most sequels suck, although there are a few exceptions.

I don't really understand the "formulaic" complaint about blockbusters though. When I was in my 20s and early 30s, I spent a lot of summers by the pool/lake/ocean/oh****itjustinsertabodyofwaterhere reading paperback Nora Roberts and John Grisham books. Talk about formulaic. All of Grisham's books except A Time to Kill end with the protagonist on a beach in the Caribbean. Nora Roberts' books always end with the couple getting together and expecting a baby.

The books were time-sucking fluff, the empty calories of the book world, and maybe my bar for "formulaic" is pretty high after that. If I can't predict the plot in the first chapter, it isn't formulaic.

There are a lot of overrated crap blockbusters out there now, sure, and while I don't want to spend $10-15 bucks and three hours of my time watching characters blow **** up for the hell of it, or reciting overly flowery poetic lines because FEEL SOMETHING AUDIENCE...I don't mind a movie riffing off an old formula.

11. Darth Koo

Dec 9, 2013
    My biggest complaint is the facial coloring. Its way off and doesn't match when she was younger. At least the TCW older Ahsoka had the same coloring.

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You're focusing on big budget blockbusters, when I was discussing the rip-offs regularly released a summer after. It's understandable why you don't think about them though: because even you've forgotten their existence, because summer popcorn fillers are disposable and quickly forgettable. Unless you think stuff like I Am Number Four is actually good? Sure, it made three times its production cost, so, purely economically, it was a success.

Didn't stop it being trash, though, or trying to just cash in on the big name Marvel heavy hitters.

I really can't help but get the impression people didn't read Zeta's post and just jumped on him because, OMG, it's Zeta, he hates everything, he must be talking nonsense like always, when the films you're leaping to defend aren't the ones he was criticising.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  13. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    You've use Spider-Man 3 as an example and now I Am Number Four is the kind of thing we're dealing with? I didn't miss the point, I just missed the redistribution of it.

Um, yeah, sure. Have at I Am Number Four and The Darkest Hour and The Seeker: The Dark is Rising and all those other films that captured the broad public's imagination.

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Again, Zeta's original comment:
    Spiderman 3, I Am Number Four, The Seeker, whatever example you want to use, all were examples of popcorn movies with little real depth, hence why it's understandable why people like Zeta may dislike them for being of little substance. You don't have to agree with his opinion, but it just irked me yesterday that people just saw the name "Zeta" and instantly attacked him as a moron because, god forbid, he had a different opinion and liked different films.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    which is why i loved the NJO series

16. Darth Koo

Dec 9, 2013
  17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
  18. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    IBT is a dreadful site. They just regurgitate news and information without bothering to fact-check or edit it. That said,

"A kamikaze-like craft capable of taking down Star Destroyer sized spacecrafts.” “The Sledgehammer is a tough weapon that just crashes through capital starships, maybe even entire fleets,”

So... the Sun Crusher? Is this one of those rumors where someone just read through old material and copy/replaced the names?

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Um. That original comment you're quoting doesn't refer to any specific films. What it's complaining about are simply "movies for the average theater going audience" which is honestly just jaw-dropping in its snobbery. I think people are objecting to that more than anything.

Darth Koo and Praenomen Cognomen like this.
  20. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Yep. Snobbery is an attitude---not a list of movies. You can watch movies like this and be completely sincere about it, and you can watch terrible B-movies and be a gasbag about it.

And frankly Zeta has described liking movies for the "average theater-going audience," so... IMO, the premise doesn't really stick. All it really comes down to is, some people like some stuff and other people like other stuff. We all want to think the stuff we like is better than the stuff we don't; it doesn't make it true, and posturing yourself as an underdog doesn't make snobbery any more noble.

21. Darth Koo

Dec 9, 2013
    Yes yes you should:p. But in all honestly I don't care for it either. I am all super weaponed out. Though it is better than the Death Star 3 rumors. Death Star 3...sounds like a b-action movies: "This time things are personally forever."

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you want to see how formula stories can be done well, read Dresden Files. Butcher uses familiar ingredients in each literary cocktail, but because he's so damn good at varying the exact mix, each book doesn't feel formulaic.

23. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    The last book is a prime example of that. Another heist novel? Fine. A supernatural heist novel. Hmm, ok. A supernatural heist novel where our lead wizard is only part of the crew and not leading it. Very nice. The heist involving traveling into hell to steal from Hades? Sold.

Granted, I've been a huge fan of the series since I marathoned through the first twelve in like two months back in freshman year, but still.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh shut it you, I'm about to grab the paperback of Skin Game tomorrow night! It'll then be a SW vs Dresden death-march as to which gets read first.:D

Dante1120 likes this.
  25. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Far from a spoiler if I basically just summarized the summary that's on the back of the US covers, my good man :D

Jedi Ben likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.