main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I was complaining about Jakku more than anything else.

Geonosis and Mustafar were reused for the sake of being reused in TCW, the multimedia project never really bothered to go back to Geonosis and there is no indication Mustafar had any significance to anyone before becoming the site of the Separatist Council's final stand.

I definitely plan on it thanks to LTotS, but I still feel obligated to read PT and Clone Wars material first.

2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    =D=

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    They can make Darkknell important to a character, that's not a damn excuse.

Grey1, cthugha, Revanfan1 and 6 others like this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Glad Disney lost this fight. Even if my situation were different, I would still continue to see films at matinee prices because there's no way in heck I will pay $15+ for a regular movie ticket now be it Star Wars or anything else.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Reading that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That's a textbook example of the kind of stuff monopolizing companies pull when they get too big. "We set the prices and you can't afford to say no." That's basically what Iger's saying here:

I mean I love Disney, but this type of maneuver is unsettling.

6. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Pffff, that's just a lie. Theater's don't make bunk from ticket sales; that's why concessions cost so much.

Darth_Foo and DelRiego like this.
  7. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

The theather I go to charges $5 for tickets and $10 for popcorn!

8. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
  9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Still holding out hope that a lecherous, doddering Veers is hanging out advising the big bad.

10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    A museum piece? Is it too much to ask just for the galaxy I love to be the galaxy I love, not just vaguely similar?

12. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014

The fact that he couldn't should tell you all you need to know about your recent posting

BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    The galaxy you love is in the closed Legends canon. Or at least, the part of Legends you've said you 'believe in'. The ongoing Lucasfilm Storygroup (LSG) Canon is inspired by and informed by Legends, but not part of, or beholden to it.

It's awesome the galaxy you loved was added to for decades. Now a galaxy others are growing to love is being formed, patterned after the old one, but with new direction, approaches, and surprises. Many enjoy both. I am thrilled with the new canon. At the same time, I am right now preparing to re-read the old Bantam books, including X-Wing series, and prepare to read NJO for the first time, and enjoy it as a separate universe. You are unwilling to accept this is a possibility in our reality.

Again, it's not the same universe. That's the point. But you know this.

That ship has sailed.
    [​IMG]

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW as a foundation really does ruin the potential of this new canon for me.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It doesn't make those that still hope and desire the predecessor to be preserved and perhaps grown from wrong no matter how often some imply so. Acting like change is impossible regarding the old as well as new is folly. Likewise harping that for you the old is dead doesn't make it fact for everyone. Stopped does not equal dead.

16. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Of course they might continue Legends universe stories some day. That universe is intact, and hasn't been destroyed, even though it's been effectively closed. The fact that I'm experiencing it and enjoying it now should be sufficient evidence of that. It doesn't, however, mean that there should be any hope of the LSG canon going forward chronologically to turn into anything resembling the Legendsverse. That ship has sailed, and been burned. There's no going back there. Just because a theoretical bridge doesn't exist doesn't mean both sides can't still live on and prosper independently.

Also, as for me, I specifically didn't say the old Canon was dead. I said it was, for the most part, closed. This is a fact from the licence-holders. Its a smart business decision. Those things which are closed may be re-opened from time to time, however.

17. DelRiego

Mar 12, 2002
    if only there was a specific thread for those debates [face_sigh]

Zorrixor and Sinrebirth like this.
  18. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    On another topic, there's a rumour runnin' round that the Boba Fett anthology film might "replace" Fett with the "true" Fett with a bit of Jodo Kast style action.

If that happens they'll lose me. That's not playing nice in the sandpit, that's just point-blank running roughshod over the original work.

I'm bemused by how offended people are by the concept that people who become badasses were at one point children. I mean, shock-horror! Fett as per Lucas has a similar trauma to Anakin in terms of losing his parent at a vital stage in his life, although the difference is that he has no infrastructure to pick him up in the aftermath. He, like Vader, later shuns the outside world and masks his humanity. It might not have been fun in AOTC, and AOTC is Just The Worst, don't get me wrong, but the storytelling potential with the materials already provided for a really cool Yojimbo or Fistful of Dollars style Fett story with the fair dinkum Jango clone is still immense.

In short, I'd be disturbed if the fanservice got to such a level that it ran directly counter to Lucas.

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Seconded. He was a badass kid, and if they don't want his AOTC backstory, they can keep his mask on.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  20. DelRiego

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm more concerned that (sans-EU) he's looked from average to incompetent in all outings. His fame needs to be justified, be it in this movie or any other NuEU material.

21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005

Just occurred to me... he's only ever referred to as "the bounty hunter" in ESB, isn't he? Or even "this bounty hunter"? It's only in ROTJ that he's mentioned by name, and even then it's only Han before he kills him.

Is he actually famous or just cleverly recalling a trick he saw in his youth? The argument for the opposite is that Vader singles him out for "No disintegrations" of course but maybe there's something to that.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I dunno. Seems like that's exploring the storytelling opportunities of a reset. I'd be pretty satisfied to see things return to the status quo ante bella siderea perquellas.

I mean it's pretty blatantly saying "no, we don't like this idea from AOTC" but that's fine. :p

23. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    But it's a reset outside the films.

I dunno, for me we see now instances where a filmmaker can retroactively improve a previous installment of a franchise. In Days of Future Past, Kinberg and Singer used the weaker installments like X-Men: The Last Stand to form a part of Wolverine's trauma that the young Xavier is shocked and saddened by, while Mangold and co used those events to fuel Wolverine's psychological state in their film.

In Iron Man 3 Shane Black was able to use the tomfoolery of The Avengers to throw Tony off-balance mentally. The Winter Soldier adds a wrinkle to Iron Man 2 by making Garry Shandling a Hydra agent. Instead of chucking things out, work within the parameters and improve the overall thing. The fact that the dude is living in a universe where there are literally millions (perhaps even more than 3 million!) of version of himself romping about and a constant reminder of his slain father has tremendous possibilities.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    A simpler way to do that would be to keep the mask on and never mention his identity.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Man, he's a constant reminder of his slain father. He's a clone that dresses and acts like his dad. I don't see what tremendous possibilities there are that a mirror wouldn't offer, tbh.

MercenaryAce likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.