main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    If Palpatine HAD ducked his face, it would never have been scarred by lightning... ;)

Honestly, I'd have to say that Sheev's grown on me. It's very much an acquired taste.

2. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    SHEEV IS THE TRAITOR ARGHHHH

Ghost, Starkeiller, Zorrixor and 4 others like this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So, rumor has it Warwick Davis may be reprising the role of Wicket. I beg that he be seen in the cockpit of an X-wing, as the ultimate reference to Aaron Allston's works.

Poe Dameron: All wings, report in.
    Wicket: (in Ewokese) Yub-yub, Commander!

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I wonder if Wicket will have a cub? :)

5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That. Would. Be. Adorable.

Yes, please! [face_praying]

6. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I'd be happy if Wicket showed up. I thought that the Ewoks were underused in the EU post-RotJ, particularly him. The fact that he is on the cover for the first issue of Shattered Empire bodes well for future appearances from Wicket.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    If they do use Ewoks I hope they don't pull a 'they conformed to tech standards to avoid being obsolete' angle. Not everyone needs to let technology run their lives to be valid in SW.

8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I could see Ewok villages holding to the same old-fashioned stuff they always did. However, if Wicket or any of the others who left Endor were fighting the First Order, I think it would be very hard to do without blasters or anything. Sure, they got lucky in Episode VI, but that's because they surprised the Empire. If they ran alongside gun-bearing Resistance soldiers into battle carrying spears...I don't really think that it will work.

But I agree, if we were to see an Ewok village for some reason, they should look just like they did in ROTJ. No need for advanced technology.

9. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
  10. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    It's so much more than a name. It's the fulfillment of Tarkin's prophecy that the Empire would crush the Rebellion, with one swift Snoke.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Older weaponry doesn't equal ineffectual. Assuming superiority due to relying on tech is dangerous. RotJ demonstrates this.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

I was worried about Kinberg, but Days of Future Past and Rebels means that he's somehow now become awesome all of a sudden.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Okay, the more this discussion goes on the more I have to know: Abadacus, was this an intentional setup on your part?

14. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    It honestly wasn't! I remembered as soon as I posted. It would be an awesome name for an Ortolan musician ('Sly' Snokes), but it's a hilariously terrible name for a villain.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Damn, it won't go away. I still feel like I need to offer a decongestant every time I read that name.

Abadacus likes this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    As opposed to the entirely credible, oh, "Grand Moff Tarkin" or "Jabba the Hutt"?

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Cynical_Ben likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I just really wish an official, non-spoiler (and thus, readable) source would confirm for me whether Snoke is the leader of the First Order or not, and whether the First Order is a legitimate successor to the Empire or not so I could know whether to rev up ye olde propaganda engine to defend Snoke's name.

19. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Well since you like supporting the Empire, you can presume that they are. Quite honestly isn't all Imperial propaganda filled with lies. Anyway, if they aren't legitimate successor to the Empire, who are you going to support? I can't see you supporting the Resistance, which has the support of famous Rebel heroes. To me it seems like the First Order is really your only option. Me, I'll continue to support whomever seems most in line with the ideals of the Separatist Movement -- the tragic heroes of the Clone Wars.

20. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Grand Moff Tarkin sounded menacing the first time I watched Star Wars, with having avoided to hear too much about it beforehand, seeing as it was in my childhood and the internet wasn't widely-accessible back then. I was neutral about Jabba the Hutt, but that's also a pretty good name. Snoke is just eh... yeah... So far it looks and sounds like something SuperShadow would come up with. And I mean all of this.

Abadacus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think part of the reason it's hard to take it seriously is because it's Andy Serkis playing the role. He's got a bit of a rep for playing ridiculous characters already. I'm not terribly put off by the name, because if it was announced for say, Max von Sydow's character, I'd probably be like "alright, odd, but alright." But Serkis? They weren't choosing a name for the sake of a name there. If Andy's being called "Snoke" you know the character's gonna be over-the-top ridiculous. Which could be good. Could be bad. Could be little of both.

Vorax and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Maybe the character is named after a weird sound he makes in his throat while talking.

Force Smuggler and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  23. Darth Koo

Dec 9, 2013
    That makes me feel better about this choice somewhat, but they did choose what I consider a terrible thing he did when introducing him.

24. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    [​IMG]

25. Darth Koo

Dec 9, 2013
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.