main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So we're going to have to either rename G-canon, or invent a new tier of canon... and I think D-canon is already taken by Detours.

2. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    NYUK-NYUK-NYUK!

You go, George! Take the money and run, run laughing all the way to the bank!

3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I really don't understand the hate or paranoia. All it will take is for the "A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY," to pop up followed by that familiar sound as you watch the Star Wars title appear and fade into the background for all of you to wet yourselves and cry.

so what's the problem?

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Do we have confirmation that production for this movie has not already begun? 2015, in the grand scheme of things, is not that far away...

5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    It's not all bad news, if anything it should ramp up more demand for star wars. Still can't beleive that were doing Episode 7. I thought that was a dead subject. But as the days and weeks come buy will know more. Probably by next year will know more about the new movie, and if Dark Horse will get the license renewed in 2014. I also doubt that the clone wars will be cancelled at all.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The money actually seems really small

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    George Lucas already had very detailed outlines of the Sequel Trilogy, and now we're getting news that others like Pablo have know about this since at least June

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    You're absolutely right. That's the unanimous reaction of everyone who saw the prequel trilogy. Or The Clone Wars feature film.

Star Wars isn't exactly high art, and it's true that most movie goers don't tend to see past superficial marketing and branding, but not everyone is thrilled with the Ford production model when applied to the creation of fiction.

Though then again, I even think the original trilogy has its share of problems in the writing department...

Esg likes this.
  10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Hey, you know what I just realized?

Threepio and Artoo are totally going to be in the new trilogy.

And that is AWESOME.

Ulicus and s65horsey like this.
  11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    So..Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts. Interesting possibility.

rumsmuggler and Ulicus like this.
  12. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    Kingdom Hearts by LucasArts?

13. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Regarding the "long winding path to the ST" I suggest checking out the related threads in the Saga forum. There is a LOT more to the story of that creative process. The saga was not dreamed up whole cloth in 1973. Just putting it out there.

Agreed on Artoo and Threepio though.

This. Star Wars has always included spectacle, but contemporary films take this to an extreme. I doubt this will happen, but instead something with (of course) the feel of Empire would be amazing.

14. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Anyone think Del Rey will come out with an announcement anytime soon? Or do you think they were kept in the dark about this as well and have no clue what to do?

15. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Oooooo, could we actually get unaltered versions of the OT now?

16. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Oh Thank You, Everyone...I knew coming here would brighten my spirits.

As someone who called it a continuity a while ago, I promise you, the sun will rise tomorrow and the day after Episode 7 comes out, and the day after Jar Jar's new Disney Channel show airs next to Winnie the Poo in the afternoons.

And if the world ends in December like the Mayans claim, we won't have to worry about any of it. ;)

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They were hinting that CRUCIBLE would be the "passing of the torch" and have been very secretive about its content

18. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    No, because George taped over them.

19. CMShake

CMShake Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2010
    This was...unexpected.

Master_Keralys likes this.
  20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm mostly worried about Dark Horse losing the license. It doesn't sound imminent, which is why we still have that upcoming Star Wars OT era series, but by 2015, when the next movie is out, I wouldn't be surprised if they had lost the license by then. I hope not, their Clone Wars comics were great, but... I'm not optimistic.

The best case for the EU and an Episode VII is something set like 200 ABY or something, definitely not Cade, as... not sure I'd see him doing well on a movie poster. For comic fans, sure, but in a theater? Even Anakin Skywalker at least falls into the dark/fallen knight archetype, seeing Cade whining about not being a Jedi for a while doesn't sound entertaining. So sorta something like TOR with analogues for all the familiar OT era stuff, though hopefully more originality in some designs.

Sadly I don't really see that happening. As Episode VII, its probably going to need to have strong, strong ties to the OT and prequels, so can't be set in the far future, otherwise people who saw the movies but never anything else might be really confused. Well, a 200-year later approach might still work, but I'm not optimistic they'll try something that daring. Indy 4 was them digging up something that had had a mostly satisfying ending.

And based on the last few years, their idea of using EU ideas to support Star Wars is looking for cool sounding names and spinning their own ideas based off on that name.
    Nightsisters? They're literal witches who look like this and Ventress grew up there!
    A comic with spider-Maul? Let's use that.
    Let's animate Even Piell and then kill him.

An Episode VII set in the far future could be really cool, with a few monuments to old-looking Luke, Han and Leia, but... not sure they'd risk going that far forward. They can't have Hamill, Fisher or Ford back... no, no, after Indy 4 they wouldn't be that stupid (I hope), but maybe their kids or grandkids or something. There's still that time gap between NJO, LotF and Legacy. But not sure how much they'd care.

The Star Trek reboot worked mostly, but then at least it did have a sci-fi explanation without invalidating everything that came before. Star Wars can't fall back on that, not without changing genres or throwing out a lot of EU stuff.

Since it sounds like that sequel trilogy is now in the works with Disney backing, I'm also more worried at the speed. A new trilogy in the next... decade or so. Well, with Disney money, maybe they can rush, but I'm still worried.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Also, if this is Lucas's ST ideas, which they've said it's going to be based off of, then it's probably all about Luke Skywalker similarly "passing the torch."

22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Once again I see lots of panic in Lit. There's a shocker.

I'm excited. There are two options:
    1. This will be awesome like The Avengers was.
    2. This will be hilarious and provide many lols for years to come.

Win. Win. Situation I say!

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Hah. I was thinking te exact same thing earlier.

"Is this why Kingdom Hearts 3 is taking forever" were my exact thoughts, to be precise. :p

24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Ok, reading the new official statements, I suppose that is reassuring. At most it looks like it will be TCW level, with some major retaconing needed for a handful of characters and locations, and maybe some movements in the timeline, as opposed to a full reboot. Or...maybe it will be a reboot that builds off the existing material extensively.

Still, I cannot imagine what kind of plot they could make for a Sequel Trilogy that would not cause at least some continuity problems, at least without making the stakes too low or moving the timeline too far ahead for casual audiences to care.

Of course, I am having trouble imagining any kind of sequel plot at all. The only obvious plothook for a post Sith galaxy are extra-galactic invaders...and its been done.

25. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    I wonder how many idiots who were making fun of fans for desiring 7,8, and 9 will now backpedal and say they're glad, wanted them all along, and now flame anyone who dares raise an eyebrow.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.