main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Disneyland Redux, and a Walt Disney quote: "Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. "

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by ValedaKor, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloJedi

SoloJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    dude the tiki room is bombad!!!
    True, it's not on my "must see' list anymore when i do go to DL but it's nice to check it out once in awhile. I like going there when i take newbies to DL...i too like to see their faces. when i was a youngling, i loved it yet i was terrified of it at the same time. especially when the lightning and thunder started...i would ball like a little girl...um i mean like a...oh never mind:) .

2. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    How can you not like the Tiki room!? The song is annoying but the birds are so cool. :p

3. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm going to be taking my cousin and her daughter to DL when they come to visit. I'm not sure about the day yet but anyone is welcomed to come and join us. The more the merrier and I was thinking about a weekday, but if people were actually interested in joining us I don't mind going on a weekend either.

4. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I think the 2nd is the only weekday I could go

5. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Hey that works for me. I'll mark that down as the day we go. If you have time and want to hang out with us I would be honored. Anyone else?

6. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I don't know if I can yet. I haven't got that schedule...it'd probably be only for a few hours though..I miss going in the park as a guest.

The tiki room is ok. I haven't been in there in a long time. I know i enjoy the song during the fireworks show. I do my tiki room dance.

7. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    There's a dance too? I'm sure D-B would like to learn.

8. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    It's a dance I made up when I was training at Buzz Lightyear. We were helping out at firework time, and I did my own little tiki room dance, very easy. Perhaps it shall be revealed at SW Dland day.

9. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Oh I can't wait.

10. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Universal Studios sure isn't Disneyland. Though I don't think it tries to be either. It is a different kind of park all together really. More shows than rides so it is hard to plan your day around all the different show times. We went on a Monday so it wasn't too hard for us but I couldn't imagine everyone on a weekend trying to get into all the shows. The best ride by far is Jurasic Park. I was really looking forward to the Mummy ride only to be let down. It would have been great had it lasted a bit longer. The whole ride was about a minute or just over. You go down the track then they put it in reverse and you do it backwards. The details of the ride were the best which did remind me of Disney it was just the length that bothered me. The Shrek 4-D was cute but it was the same short 3-D movie they released right after the first movie came out on DVD. Just this time they squirt water in your face. The Terminator 2 3-D show was about the best 3-D show I've ever seen right up there with Borg Invasion at the Las Vegas Hilton. I love the live actors in the show, can't get more 3-D than that. Back to the Future though also dated is in my opinion slightly better than Star Tours. I know don't hate me but you are surrounded on all sides with video and you are in a car with just a few other people. The Waterworld show is by far better than the movie itself. And the Studio Tour Ride is still fun and educational. They have the entire Westeria Lane set up and since they were not filming we got to see all the houses. It would have been even better if I watched Desperate Housewives. The Van Helsing Haunted House was scary and I would love to see DH walk through it. I was proud of myself for not screaming when people jumped out at me in the dark. Backdraft, dated and dull. If I wanted to stand around hot I would have done it outside and not in a soundstage with no air.

So that is my review of Universal. Would I get a season pass? Not unless everyone else I knew did. I just don't see myself going back as often. There are just so many time you can see those shows before they get dull. And since it is small it is hard to get around in and doesn't make a good hang out spot except for the great views of the valley.

11. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    WHAT? It's not like DLand? LOL, just kidding. The thing with all their 3D shows and rides is that they all get you wet. They love water there. Terminators ok.

I can't believe you like Back to the Future over Tours. I know that tours seems dated adn the whole, surrounded thing, but man. It's gotten old and I'm not sure they do the maintenance they should on that ride. The screen is dirty, scratched and ripped (at least it was a year ago) and i think the movement of the ride itself was off from the movie. My head hurt so bad after I went on it..my neck to. It made me dizzy, and i've done that ride a million times before. So I guess I still hate you. J/k. By far Soarin' over Cali is the best motion ride yet.

12. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Ooo I din't even consider Soarin' there. If you throw that in it wins. But Soarin' is peaceful and you feel all relaxed afterwards the other two toss you around so that you do hurt. I'm still going with BTF as better between the other two however both need a reinvention.

13. vampireanneke

vampireanneke Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2002
    I don't know about you, but I could go on Star Tours 5 times in a row and enjoy it just as much each time. Where as with BTF...it just isn't that much fun after the 1st or 2nd time. Now if you have ever been to Florida, the Spiderman ride kicks SERIOUS ass. Combination motion simulator, 3D effects, and ride. It's sweet!

-Anneke

14. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    I agree, Back to the future is lame. The cars are not inclosed so the feeling is lost.

Star Tours is way better.

I miss the Star Trek show at Universal & Conan.

15. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Maybe I've just been on Star Tours too many times then. I sit there waiting for it to be over and usually I'm thinking about other things like where should we eat later, what is the wait for Space Mountain, and am I about to throw up.

16. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    So basically riding Star Tours is like sex?

17. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
  18. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I have been meaning to add this as well.
    While on the Jurasic Park ride you see Golden Mickey Ear hats floating beside the props of crashed vehicles and man eating dinos. Also while queing for the Mummy ride you watch a creepy video and there is this guy dressed as the Emperor and sounding like the Emperor. So Universal has a sense of humor too.

19. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Info on Pirates premiere, since some are asking

The park will be open 630 am to 5 pm.
    Tomorrowland and other areas away from the West side/area where the movie is will be open until approx. 8.
    *LAST YEAR: guests were allowed to wait on main street until stars arrived. This year, I have heard nothing about this yet. More info when I get it.

On a side note, starting tomorrow they will begin erecting the stands, media and everything else needed for the premiere. It's a lot of work believe you me. They will once again have to air lift the screen in via helecopter. Can't wait.

20. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I so want to be there for the Pirates premiere. I even have an eye patch.

On a sort of related note, because they are rivals, I just heard they are going to be selling off Magic Mountain as Six Flags is losing money and that land is extremely valuable. We have to go before they close.

21. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I just heard that news too DH. I have a pass to MM and would love to go.

22. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Wow, I didn't know Magic Mountain was in bad shape. It seems they open a new ride every year! I would like to go back. It's been a long time. Last time I went though, I felt like I was on a field trip with all the high school delinquents from the Inland Empire.

23. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    That's why they're broke.

and that's why nobody goes.

24. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    It's funny because I went to MM after working at DL and noticed immediately the difference between the two. The staff at MM are so rude versus the smiley happy castmembers at DL. It's also hot as heck at MM and though it's not a pleasant ocean breezey type of weather at DL it is much more bearable. Also, DL doesn't allow the shenanigans that MM allows. People are expected to be dressed and not in an inappropriate manner. It all works towards creating the atmosphere we all love about DL.

Houses in Valencia are going for so much, if they sell MM, Six Flags will make a fortune. It will make me sad though. Let's all go some time soon. I know my padawan wants to go as my padawan is a coaster freak like me.

25. CountDuku3126

CountDuku3126 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    This is where I am out of the loop. I have never been to MM and only been to Universal once that I remember. But I dont remember much from that trip except my step brothers being asses and pulling me into the splash zone of Jurassic Park when I didn't want to get wet and then we went on the ride 7 times in a row. I don't remember BTF that much but come on, BTF over Tours... and you call yourself a Star Wars fan. For shame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.