main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Disparate Jedi -- Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, OC Jedi -- COMPLETE -- 11-Dec-2006

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Disparate Jedi
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: drama
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Narimoyak, OC Jedi
    Keywords Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi
    Summary: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan returning to Coruscant after a mission meet with other Jedi for a most intriguing return trip.
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers do not catch being my speciality â?? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I am just playing in their sandbox

Obi-Wan Kenobi lost sight of Qui-Gon Jinn in the crowd.

Four large, burly creatures carrying heavy luggage on their shoulders muscled their way in front of Obi-Wan. Then a gaggle of chirping tourists in loose, colorful dresses and wielding holo-recorders and shade umbrellas. A family of three adults and ten children. Two droids guiding a lifter cart of luggage. Single females, males and unidentifiables of various species. A smattering of weary travel veterans pushed through toward docking bays that they come and gone through many tines.

Nearly all of them seemed to be taller than Obi-Wan. His steps slowed as he continued to find his way through the jostling bodies. The speech of many species and machines rumbled together into an unintelligible background that filled the open area of the Limostos Spaceport.

Obi-Wan's focus divided between his awareness of the crowd around him and keeping himself moving toward Qui-Gon. That direction felt subtly different to him through the Force. A driver steered a long, low lifter in front of him and Obi-Wan spied his Master's head and dark brown robe moving toward their destination. Obi-Wan hurried around the lifter and quickened his steps.

He had nearly caught up with Qui-Gon when he turned into a wide corridor. They passed under a sign directing them toward docking bays 243-p'wa thru 324-p'wa. The crowds were a little thicker as they passed by food kiosks and stores selling travel trinkets and supplies. News holos and music entertainments murmured under the noise of motion and talking and commerce.

271-p'wa. . . . 272-p'wa. . . . 273-p'wa. . . .274-p'wa.

Even before they got to their destination, Obi-Wan spotted Master Narimoyak's horned head by the bay entry. A tall shiny silver droid scanned the IDs of passengers as they entered an open bay door. Beyond, they could see a large, orange and bronze transport ship, its boxy body dominated by the enormous hyperspace engines at its rear. Another silver droid at the ramp gave directions and occasionally helped with the belongings of the line of passengers. Round-bodied droids ferried luggage up through another ramp, further down on the ship.

Narimoyak turned, spotting them, and nodded as Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan approached. They bowed. Qui-Gon looked around curiously.

?Where is Master Tekta? We were instructed to meet her."

Narimoyak sighed. "She's not here yet." She gestured toward a very slight girl wearing a short, tan and blue dress under a light brown Jedi robe. "This is her Padawan, Kokom. Apparently she has been delayed by something." The girl bobbed toward Qui-Gon. Her scaly skin was a pretty shade of green, her eyes a bright blue like the sky in an oxygen-rich atmosphere. She was very small and thin. The tops of her two eye stalks barely came up to Qui-Gon's chest.

"Master Tekta said that we shouldn't wait for her to board," Kokom said in a high, clear voice. Obi-Wan spotted the flick of a thin, green tail between Kokom's ankles. Qui-Gon looked inquiringly at Narimoyak.

"I don't understand it either," she replied, shaking her head. "We were told to come here and meet her for this transport as well. And give her any assistance she requires. That was all." Narimoyak was a tall, elegant Zabrak, with brown skin, lined with age, ivory-yellow horns and long, claw-like nails. He

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    "It seems so odd for me to say this, but. . . . I'm your lawyer."

Ohmigosh, intriguing. YOu set up quite a mystery here. Please PM when you update.

3. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    A lawyer... that could be interesting! [face_thinking]
    Very nice start, very good descriptions of the other Padawans and Masters.

4. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Jedi have lawyers? That's most interesting, probably to protect them from the civil lawsuits whenever a mission goes awry :p Excellent beginning, looking forward to more!

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Their lawyer??? LOL. Well, I wonder why she's so nervous then being around Jedi. After all, she would know that they wouldn't do anything unless it was imperative.

I also wonder if she has something to do with the special assignment.

Good job. PM me with updates please.

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I HAVE to know what happens next, so could you please put me on your PM list?? [face_praying]

=D=

7. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Valairy_Scot: Thanks for reading! :)

Fifilla: Thanks! Glad you like the descriptions. I do like describing Jedi.

Layren: Hmmm, I hadn't thought about possible lawsuits; they probably have the law on their side already. Thanks for the reply!

dianethx: Oh yes, it's a little obvious that this lawyer has something to do with the specal assignment; the question is what is it? [face_mischief] Thanks!

VaderLVR64: I'm glad I have your interest! :)

And now. . . . some more. . .

./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\. ? Part 2

Narimoyak stared back at the woman.

"Forgive me," she continued. "I'm Administrator Gelemas Toolay. I'm Director of Trademark Enforcement for the Central Government of the Republic." The office meant nothing to Obi-Wan though it sounded official enough. Dyuda's face was completely neutral, but Narimoyak still looked confused.

"Oh, I know it sounds much grander than it is." Administrator Toolay's nervousness had completely vanished, as if the confession of her mid-level government position had absolved her of all guilt. "It's really a minor department in the Republic Judiciary. We handle all the Trademark enforcement for the Senate and Courts, the Chancellor's office, all of the Executive, in fact, the Judiciary, of course, and. . . . the Jedi Order."

Narimoyak blinked. "The Jedi Order has trademarks?"

"Yes. We do," Dyuda Plum's low voice affirmed. On Obi-Wan's other side, Qui-Gon Jinn finally stirred to look toward the Ikto Padawan.

"Along with the name of the Jedi Order, all associated mottos and phrases are trademarked as well. And all interior and exterior holos of the Temple. Likenesses, artwork and images of any Jedi, living or dead, may only be used for educational or other non-commercial purposes. And the Jedi Code is copyrighted under Republic Law and through any trade agreements shared with non-Republic entities. And all of it is enforced through your Office, I believe." Dyuda inclined his head toward the Administrator, his dark horns dipping before him.

"Oh," Toolay smiled, obviously pleased by Plum's knowledge. "You must be familiar with the Extra-Governmental-Entities Department, and Sub-Administrator Lubus?" Dyuda nodded with a sad smile. Master Narimoyak looked at her Padawan with astonishment.

"Master Yumang sometimes served as liaison between the Jedi Order and Republic Judiciary," he replied, naming his previous master.

"Ooooh." Toolay put her hand to her face, her expression transforming to concern. Her pink nails matched her suit. "Is he the one who was sick?" Plum nodded. "I am so sorry for your loss. Oh, I know you're not supposed to think of it as a loss at all, but I can't imagine he won't be missed. It was so unexpected."

"Master Yumang was the most surprised of all by his illness, and his decline was. . . . unfortunate." Obi-Wan saw Narimoyak carefully watching her Padawan as he spoke, but his voice was as calm as it had been when he had ordered lunch, though Obi-Wan detected a current of sadness through the Force.

"Was it any business of the Jedi Order that brought you to Tamet?" Dyuda asked, changing the subject.

Toolay sat back in her seat. "Well, actually it was. I hardly ever have to do anything other than personnel actions and approve the budget for that department. And it has been awhile since I've had to do any legal footwork myself, but this time. . . ."

Administer Toolay told them about a large and successful manufacturer, prominent on the world they had just left, Tamet. Among the many products that this consortium of companies produced were security systems. The consortium's marketing board had thought that a good way to advertise one of their newer products was to use the slogan, "So secure, it can defeat a Jedi." Toolay gave a little when she repeated this.

None of the Jedi around the table returned her laugh. Toolay moved on with the story.

The consorti

8. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Oh oh they have caused a bit of havoc I am glad Obi-Wan kept his mouth shut.

"Tekta?" Toolay whispered.

She turned and they all looked toward the brown robe in the corner. The quiet snoring had stopped. Three eyes pushed their way out from under the hood of the robe.

"Narimoyak, you have a big mouth," Tekta announced in a grating, annoyed voice. She pushed her hood back

Obi-Wan, his mouth full of cookie, quickly looked back at Toolay. She gasped. He felt a wave of panic through the Force.

"Enjoying your lunch?" Tekta asked. "Irma?"

What trouble have the Jedi got themselves into now.[face_shame_on_you]

Sounds interesting can you add me to your PM list Taa

9. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    Wow, what's happening now?
    Everything seemed to be alright and relaxed and now this tumult.
    I wonder what will happen next.

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    oh, very intriguing and thoroughly entertaining.

Obi-Wan silently listened and ate. He dutifully recognized the importance of the ecological balance of Coruscant was, but the details comprised the core of some of the most tedious, boring and mind-numbing studies that any Padawan Learner had to endure. Qui-Gon had instructed him to both respect those details, and to stay as far away from them as possible. Qui-Gon taught by example on the second point for which Obi-Wan was most grateful.

Yup, sounds like teach by example.

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Narimoyak, you have a big mouth," Tekta announced in a grating, annoyed voice. She pushed her hood back

Obi-Wan, his mouth full of cookie, quickly looked back at Toolay. She gasped. He felt a wave of panic through the Force.

"Enjoying your lunch?" Tekta asked. "Irma?"

I found that both intriguing and hilarious. I wonder what Irma has done that she would be scared of Tekta. But wait, her name isn't Irma, it's Gelemas.... the mystery deepens.
    Good job.

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Love the strangeness of the Jedi being called togather and then Master Tekta not being there yet.

"It seems so odd for me to say this, but. . . . I'm your lawyer."

Whoa... an interesting development. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I just have to laugh over being so taken by surprise with it. I like!!

Ahhh, for a moment, I thought Toolay was there for this group personally. LOL

I can't wait to see how and why Tekta knows Tooly, I've got a hunch. :D :D

Might I be added to the PM list. :)

13. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    A wonderful update! I can't wait to see what happens next. :)

Thanks for the PM.

=D=

14. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Gkilkenny: Yes, those Jedi get into so much trouble, don't they? [face_mischief] And Obi-Wan knows when to keep his head down. Thanks for reading!

Fifilla: Oh, it just couldn't be a simple, quiet lunch, not with Jedi. [face_mischief] Thanks for the comment!

Valairy_Scot: I'm glad you're enjoying it! :)

dianethx: Oh, yes, there is more to Toolay than it would seem, though one might easily think that since she's run away. Thanks for reading!

Healer_Leona: Unfortunately for Toolay, Tekta knows her too well. More will be revealed. :) Glad you're enjoying it!

VaderLVR64: Glad you like it! :)

./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\. - - Part 3

"AAAAIIIIIEEEEEEOOOOIIIIIEEEOOOIIIIIIIIIEEEEEAAAA!!!!!"

Rolling onto his back, away from Dyuda, Obi-Wan pressed his hands and thick folds of his sleeves over his ears. Above him, Qui-Gon was turning around in circles, uselessly trying to get at Kokom, who had his arm pinned to his back while she clung to his body, her legs wrapped around his thigh. The Jedi Master's free hand groped through two robes, unable to get a grip on the tiny Padawan underneath.

"EEEEEEOOOOIIIIIEEEOOOEEEEEAAAA- - - -!!!!!"

Qui-Gon immediately stopped spinning as soon as Narimoyak's hand clamped tight over Kokom's face. The older woman stood tall in the doorway; the rest of them had fallen or stumbled into the corridor.

Kokom's face bulged outward; Narimoyak's long, pale nails dug into her cheeks. She bent forward and pointed a finger between two extremely attentive eyestalks.

"Padawan. Stop making that noise," she commanded, her voice low and threatening. Kokom's bright blue eyes bulged back at her.

"I realize," Narimoyak continued, "that your Master told you to stop us. We shall speak with her about that. But for now, please detach yourself from Master Qui-Gon." A tiny squealing sound came from Kokom. Narimoyak increased the pressure on her face. The green coloring of the scales on Kokom's cheeks paled around the fingertips pressing into them.

Kokom slid down off of Qui-Gon's back. Narimoyak did not release her until her feet were on the ground and Qui-Gon had stepped away, stumbling over the robe that was half pulled off of him. Obi-Wan and Dyuda helped each other up off the deck. Seizing the hood and collar of Kokom's robe, Narimoyak marched her down the corridor. Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Dyuda followed, straightening their clothes as they went.

Tekta was standing in front of a closed fresher door. One of her eyes looked at them with disgust as she pounded on the door.

"There isn't any place for you to go to, so you might as well come out now!" she yelled. They heard muffled sounds inside, nothing distinct, but it sounded like weeping.

The heads of various species were peering out of the doors of other first class compartments along the corridor.

"Tekta, what are you doing?!" Narimoyak hissed in a low voice. She released Kokon, who rushed to stand behind her Master. The Zakrak woman glared at the elder Gran with furious, pale eyes.

"And what are you wearing?!" she finished, looking up and down at Tekta. Obi-Wan stared. They all did.

Over a pair of sturdy, dark brown Jedi boots, Tekta's stout body was draped in a swirl of brightly colored layers of floating fabric. It bulged and sagged unevenly over her bumps and curves. It was cinched at the waist by two belts that practically glowed a florescent green over the multi-colored dress. Her lightsaber hung from them, dragging them down on one side.

"Oh, do you like it?" Tekta challenged sarcastically. "It's the popular style on the islands on this planet. Everyone wears one. You should try it. Might brighten up that dour mood you always have."

Behind the two arguing women, Obi-Wan saw people in uniform appear from the ship-forward end of the corridor. The heads of the other passengers ducke

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    It was hilarious that Kokom would use her voice to keep the Jedi from going after her Master. Ah, ha. So Toolay is not what she seemed. Loved that she was impersonating a Jedi. I assume it was for a nefarious reason otherwise she wouldn't be trying to escape the Jedi Master.

Good job.

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    That Padawan Kokom is going to be quite a "force" to reckon with, methinks.

Over a pair of sturdy, dark brown Jedi boots, Tekta's stout body was draped in a swirl of brightly colored layers of floating fabric. It bulged and sagged unevenly over her bumps and curves. It was cinched at the waist by two belts that practically glowed a florescent green over the multi-colored dress. Her lightsaber hung from them, dragging them down on one side.
    Oh, my eyes. [face_laugh]

17. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    "Administrator Gelemas Toolay, in the name of the Republic, you are under arrest," Tekta announced. "For impersonating a Jedi."
    Very interesting update - now we know what's going on!

18. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Thanks for the PM:D
    Oh my! with their sensative hearing she probably gave them a headache[face_shame_on_you]

That was a good chuckle![face_laugh]
    So she was impersonating a Jedi (Why)[face_thinking]

19. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Well isn't that just an intriguing development.

Can't help but chuckle at the image of Kokum on Qui-Gon and the noise meant to distract them.

No the question comes as to why Toolay was impersonating a Jedi. [face_thinking] o_O

20. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! Incredible update! Impersonating a Jedi, huh? [face_thinking] Can't say I wouldn't love to try that myself! :p

"The Council wanted us here to help you track down a stray lightsaber?" Narimoyak asked.

"You haven't seen it all yet." Tekta handed the smaller case off to Kokom, who put it by the wall. She put the saber down on the table and then nudged them all back to open the largest case. A panel slid open at the top and Tekta began pulling things out. A green blouse, red slippers, underclothes, leggings. It all landed around the two cases by the wall. With her arm all the way in, Tekta grunted with satisfaction. She pulled out a boot.

It was tall and medium brown, with a heavy sole and calf straps. Dyuda looked down at his own feet and Obi-Wan saw immediately that his fellow Padawan's boots were very similar to the one Tekta held up. The Gran fished out the first boot's mate from the case. She put the pair of them next to the lightsaber.

Tekta next began pulling out heavy faded brown fabric. More and more of it emerged in a big pile, spilling over the edge of the case. When the last of it had been pulled free, Tekta shook it out and held it up. Dyuda and Narimoyak stared at it, open-mouthed and Obi-Wan was quite sure that his expression was equally surprised. Qui-Gon folded his arms before him and looked down on it, his brow crinkled with concern.

It was a Jedi robe.

"Administrator Gelemas Toolay, in the name of the Republic, you are under arrest," Tekta announced. "For impersonating a Jedi."

=D=

21. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    dianethx: Thanks for the reply! Kokom does have her own secret weapon.:) And there can be all sorts of reasons for impersonating a Jedi.[face_mischief]

Valairy_Scot: It's a good thing for the others that Kokom is so young, so she hadn't developed her 'attack'.[face_mischief] And since Jedi tend to wear the same type of thing, it can be scary when Jedi wear 'civilian' clothes, since they might not make the best fashion choices. :eek:. Thanks for reading!

Fifilla: Thanks for reading!

Gkilkenny: Kokom might have been a little naughty, but only for her master's sake. Glad you liked it; thanks for the reply!

Healer_Leona: Thanks for reading!

VaderLVR64: Thanks! Yes, there must be an attraction to being a Jedi, or at least having everyone think you are.

./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\. ? Part 4

Tekta continued pulling things out and tossing them aside until she had everything she was looking for. She separated out beige underclothes, a long tan undertunic, a long, dusty-brown outer tunic, slightly darker tabards and obi and a belt with pouches and a clip for the saber. Everything looked authentic, even the contents of the pouches. Qui-Gon took a food capsule and held it up to one from his own belt. They looked identical. He tossed the one from the travel case onto the pile on the table. Tekta held up the long tunic to her own body.

"It's a pity this is evidence," she said. "This looks like it might fit me." She held it out. "Not a bad color, I suppose."

"It's certainly better than that mishmash you've got on." Narimoyak grimaced before casting a withering glare toward Toolay. Qui-Gon's expression was of disgust at finding something rotten under a respectable surface.

Something strange and false had been going on in his presence and Obi-Wan felt stunned that he hadn't known. While Qui-Gon and Dyuda pushed the larger case to the wall with the other things, Obi-Wan looked carefully at Toolay. Her graying-blond head was turned away from them, her face a shadowed reflection on the viewport against the swirls of hyperspace outside the ship. He sensed total loss, a personal devastation in the woman. Her whole life had ended and he felt empty of any sympathy for her.

"So, that was all lies. About working for Judiciary Enforcement," Narimoyak said, folding her arms before her.

"She was well informed about that," Dyuda noted with a touch of appreciation.

"No." Tekta announced. "It wasn't." She folded the tunic and put it back on the pile on the gold tabletop. "This really is the Director of Trademark Enforcement for the Central Government. She has thirty years of service with the Republic." Tekta's skinny arm waved out to the cringing woman. "That's why this is such a big problem."

Surprised, Obi-Wan looked down again at the faked clothes on the table and the appropriated lightsaber. People who assumed other identities almost always did it for criminal purposes, or to illegally appropriate a better life for themselves without earning it. People who already had respectable lives, who still assumed secret identities, did it for fun or adventure or hidden personal reasons. Obi-Wan remembered the fear he had first sensed from the woman now cowering by the viewport. She had known what she had been doing was wrong. She could not possibly say otherwise; she was a lawyer. Yet she had done it anyway.

"And you were sent by the Council to apprehend her," Qui-Gon concluded.

"I wasn't supposed to find her at all!" Tekta snapped back. "Kokom and I were just making inquiries. The Temple's been hearing about 'Master Irma' for years, but nobody could figure out who was doing it." Kokom nodded agreement with her Master. "It wasn't for the usual reasons of fraud or profit, or the Republic investigators might have caught her by now.

"She would just show up on some comfortable planet with nice scenery, m

22. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Thanks for the PM

"Why?!" the Zabrak pressed. Obi-Wan winced. Even though it was not directed at him, he still sensed the power of the Jedi Master's pressure on the woman next to him. He saw Qui-Gon rising from his seat.

"Narimoyak, stop that!" Tekta shouted. One skinny arm grabbed Narimoyak's collar and pulled her back. Tekta pushed her fellow Jedi away from the table.

Whatever Toolay did is not sitting well with
    Narimoyak:mad:

23. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    WHile I'm as curious as Narimoyak, it seems there's some personal reason she's so very offended by this.

I have to say I feel soem sympathy for Toolay. :(

Excellent post.

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I feel sorry for Toolay, even though she was doing something wrong by impersonating a Jedi at least she wasn't doing it for spite or gain. I think the Jedi should cut her some slack. Plus Narimoyak isn't acting very Jedi at this point. I think they should take some time to think about their reactions.

Good job.

25. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I agree with Diane. Narimoyak i acting rather oddly. Why do I feel like there is more than meets the eye to this situation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.