main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Distance" limitations in FF?

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by wild_karrde, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I was recently informed that because I live an hour away from a certain city (Moncton) that I can't be a part of that FanForce, even though I am there all the time and have already attended (and helped organize) one official meeting.

Is this true? I looked in all the FAQ pages, both here and on the main fanforce.net web page, but have not seen any rule that would disclude me from being a part of the Moncton FF.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks :)

EDIT: I kan't speel!!!1!

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    There's people that drive 1 to 2 hours to be a part of the Indy Knights, and I know some of the European groups have people making longer trips.

The only "distance" limitation is that a Chapter Rep needs to live in or around the city in which s/he represents. This isn't really a mileage issue, but more of a person who lives in one city but goes to school in another for example...you need to live in the city in order to represent it.

3. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Cool :)

Thanks!

4. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    Considering that FF is all about getting people together, it would make sense that if you can make the meets plus you want to make the meets then you should be able to be a part of the Moncton Chapter. One hour isn't long in travel time. Blimey, I actually live in London itself hence a member of the London UK Chapter and it takes me 30-40 minutes to get to the meets.

I wish you luck with the Chapter.

5. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    There's also nothing that says you can't be a member of more than one group either, if you're stuck between two cities or just like to drive.

6. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Well I don't mind the drive, but my car does :D

Thank God for buses!

7. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    You are determined aren't you.

I told you what I was told by ROX...

You can not form a chapter unless 3 people are within the city/town area (within a reasonable distance). You live in about 122.04 km away or 2 hours, 13 minutes away, outside a reasonable distance.

So...There are currently to few members in the Moncton area. Plus, one of the members that are there now will be moving shortly making the number that much more lower than needed for form a chapter.

If ROX wants to come in and wishes to go forward with granting a chapter to Moncton I will gladly do so.

8. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    2 hours, 13 minutes

Uhh, I think you better get a new map dude. I live 1 hr 10 minutes away.

EDIT: 122.04 km

Since when does it take over 2 hours to drive 122 KM? How slow do you drive???

9. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    plug it into mapquest.com

10. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I don't have to - I go to Moncton all the time! It's 1hr 15 minutes!

Are you calling me a liar?

11. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    Ok, calm down Derek, take a deep breath :)

WK - you want a chapter in Moncton, that means you need to provide evidence of three people or more having attended three meets in Moncton - photographs outside something that identifies the location as Moncton should do that for you.

YJN - surely distance isn't that important if the meet criteria can be met and there is one person directly in Moncton that can take the role as CR? In this day and age of good communication, it shouldn't be a problem and the FF is all about community - "community" doesn't have to be within a 15 mile radius. As long as three friends or more meet in the flesh regularly and use the board allotted them, would Rox not consider it given adequate photographic proof?

12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    There are certian things I should address real quick before I run off to bed. Yes I told YJN that to get a forum there must be 3 people from the City to warrant need for a forum. If we bend the rules now then everytime someone wants a forum they can get two more of thier online buddies and request a forum. That is why 3 people is needed.

Like Seb said, the only real travel limitation is on the CR. That person needs to be from the area 12 months out of the year. Take myself as an example. I was CR for the Pittsburgh chapter, I moved out of the city, a little over an hour away. I passed the CR job onto someone that lives closer and could address things on a local level better than I could.

But the final call really goes on the RSA. If he/she feels there is a need for a forum then it will be created.

One way to show proof of that need might be to plan a meeting in the AC General forum. If you can get a meeting going of atleast three people then I don't see why we wouldn't be able to give you guys a forum for Moncton.

13. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Well, we already had 1 meeting in Moncton, and if that and the Fredericton meeting count as 2 for both St John and Fredericton, then there is no reason they shouldn't count as 2 for Moncton as well. And it is well known that Tara and I are in support of a Moncton forum, and DOY lives right in Moncton all the time. As well, Star is currently living there and can attend any meetings she wants to (as was stated above, just because she might be a part of another FF, that doen't mean she can't be a part of this one as well, if she chooses.

So if we pull off 1 more meeting, not only should we be entitled to our own board, but we would also have achieved official status. The only thing afterthat would be to decide who would make the best CR, but that's a bridge that can be crossed when we come to it.

Rox, do you agree that 1 more official meeting will be sufficient to make us official and warrant our own board?

Charis - I appreciate your help, but I still want to know if YJN is accusing me of being a liar. By his own "facts" it should take just a little over an hour to reach Moncton. 122km @ 110kph (highway baby, high-way) does not take 2 hr 15 min, by my math.

14. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    No one is accusing anybody of being a liar. It's just MapQuest's fault: They assume you drive really slow, such as 45 mph (don't know what that is in kph, sorry!) They calculate the time based on things like getting gas, stopping for bathroom breaks, and eating.

15. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Can someone clarify this for me?

wild_karrde: Well, we already had 1 meeting in Moncton, and if that and the Fredericton meeting count as 2 for both St John and Fredericton, then there is no reason they shouldn't count as 2 for Moncton as well.
    ...snip...
    So if we pull off 1 more meeting, not only should we be entitled to our own board, but we would also have achieved official status. The only thing afterthat would be to decide who would make the best CR, but that's a bridge that can be crossed when we come to it.

Rox, do you agree that 1 more official meeting will be sufficient to make us official and warrant our own board?

A meeting in Moncton counts as a meeting in Moncton. A meeting in Fredericton counts as a meeting in Fredericton, no mention of a meeting in St John, so no meetinmgs counted for St John. It seems to my uneducated eye like you still have *two* meetings to go, not just one, w_k... If the other meeting is to count for your group, how many from your group attended it? How is it a meeting in one city can be used to count twoards the three necessary for another city? I'm very confused: this seems highly irregular.

From the FanForce FAQ: "3. [IMPORTANT] Your city group must plan and execute three events or activities and have advance notice of each posted on the FanForce Headlines/Main page. We want you guys to build grassroots, self-contained clubs that actually do more than just chat on the forums all the time! Network with your fellow fans! Without the completion of this particular guideline, consideration cannot be given.* "

When and where were these meetings hels, who was in attendance from where at each of them, and when were they posted to the Headlines page?

While I would be thrilled to welcome new chapters to our fold, I am concerned for the reputation of Canada's FanForce, if there is some irregularity about the formation of our newer chapters.

*Derisa*

16. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    _Derisa_Ollamhin_ - as it is my understanding, when the Moncton and Fredericton meetings were held, since there were no specific city forums at the time they counted as 2 for the whole Atlantic Canada. When we were finally split up into Fredericton, Saint John and (a bit later) Moncton, each city then had 2 meetings down since before they were done as an overall group. I agree that it doesn't make much sense at first glance, but it means we only need 1 more meeting in Moncton, so I'm not going to argue with it :)

Of course, for total clarification on this, you may want to ask YJN as he is the one who made the decision, not me :)

17. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    Derek has it right.

The Atlantic Canada Forum had 2 meetings, one in Moncton, One in Fredericton. Members that were in attendance were from ALL three cities that now have their specific forums.

Since it would be very unfair to ask for one or all the chapters to start again, the decision was made to have each of the city forums retain the meetings they had made it to, prior to the split.

It would have been very unfair to the St. John members if I had to tell them to start from the beginning. The time and money spent would have been wasted on the 2 prior meetings.

18. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Despite our differences YJN, I very much agree with that decision because at the time we were all one group, not 3 separate groups :)

19. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    See I can be nice ;)

20. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    YoungJediNiagara: The Atlantic Canada Forum had 2 meetings, one in Moncton, One in Fredericton. Members that were in attendance were from ALL three cities that now have their specific forums.

Since it would be very unfair to ask for one or all the chapters to start again, the decision was made to have each of the city forums retain the meetings they had made it to, prior to the split.

It would have been very unfair to the St. John members if I had to tell them to start from the beginning.

There were there were three members from each city present at both meeting? And the details were posted on the Headlines page?

Please note, I am not trying to discourage the developement of new chapters in Canada, merely make certain all the necessary rules have been followed. Could the names of the attendees and their cities of origin please be posted to reassure me there is no irregularity here?

Thanks,

*Derisa*

(Edited out: pointless speculation about further Island chapters)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.