Distinguishing between good and evil

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    One thing I've always liked about the Star Wars saga is how Lucas has made a distinct difference between good guys and bad guys using color.

Take for instance the Jedi and Sith. In all the movies, the Jedi have worn brown robes and white/tan tunics. The only exceptions are Anakin and Luke, who wear darker colors in Attack of the Clones and Return of the Jedi, showing how they are tottering on the edge of the darkside.

In contrast, the Sith have always worn black, no matter what the occassion.

Then there's the obvious "Blue/Green/(Purple)" lightsabers for the Jedi and Red for the Sith.

I just like how Lucas uses color and other methods to signal to the audience who's good and who's bad, and I love how well it works without it coming off as a cheesy gimmick.

Anyone notice any other distinguishing factors (and not just limited to color)?

Edited title.
  2. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5
    Color is huge in SW. You pretty much listed how the characters are diffentiated.
  3. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    What about stormtroopers in white vs Luke in ROTJ in black? How does that fit with your theory?

Lucas actually stated that he wanted to turn the whole "the good guys wear white hats" standard on its ear, which is why he had his troopers in white, and his Jedi in black, (Ref: Star Wars: the Myth and the Magic, I believe, although it may have been somewhere else). In the initial sketches for TPM, the conceptual artist, (working from Lucas' notes or his direct oversight), painted black tunics for Obi-Wan (ref: The Art of Episode I, various, 1999), an identical outfit to what Luke wore in ROTJ. (I think he had to have Vader in black, because nothing is scarier than a big guy in black and a mask... :) )

You'll have to ask Lucas why he changed his mind about what to dress the Jedi in, but I think it was likely fan pressure (one of his creative aides probably pointed out that people associated Old Ben's desert robes with the Jedi Order, and had for quite a while...) Whatever the logic, he did change his mind about the colour scheme and overall look for the Jedi.

Geez, some of the Costuming and Props kids should really have a look in this forum from time to time. :)

*Derisa*
  4. Kyle-Katarn_wannabe Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm not sure about the color scheme but I agree with what you said about good and evil. I love the way Good and evil are very easy to differentiate in
    SW. Theres the good guys (jedis rebels etc) and bad guys (siths empire jabba etc) and in the end the good guys win. Its simple perfection.
  5. Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod

star 6
    I think there is more to say about defilement than color schemes in SW good and evil. I dunno if you guys have noticed, but in the SW, the OT specially, the more defiled (read dirty) you are, the "more good" you are. The clean and pretty ones are the evil. Imperial troops, ships, hangars, ect are all really clean. Rebels are all dirty. Yoda, the ultimate good guy, lives in a swamp. Palpatine, the ultimate evil, lives in a sterile environment.

Vader himself is pure and clean until his fight with Luke in RotJ, notice that he is now defiled after the battle, his armor is dirty including his helmet. He is defiled and hence, good again.

I dunno if this in done in purpose, but it is interesting.
  6. Jedimancer Jedi Master

star 2
    Well, in the OT, I believe Lucas said the good guys usually have warmer color tones and have the bad guys be colorless(black & white). Anyways, I think I read once that the reason Luke was wearing black was because the OT has many similarities to old westerns, and, in the old westerns, the really dangerous(not necessarily evil, but deadly) cowboys wear black. I think it was in the Annotated Screenplay book.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.